Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Smacker tools download link
Smacker tools download link
Jun 12 2017, 6:45 pm
By: Augustus Valium  

Jun 12 2017, 6:45 pm Augustus Valium Post #1

Hello all! I am looking for the download link for the Smacker tools alone, since for some reason, trying to edit portraits using the Blink and Smacker software causes them to come up as static in game. I've seen other threads on here confirming this before, and I'm wondering if anyone still has a download link. If not, would someone be so kind as to upload the software if they have it to either Google Drive or Filedropper?

-Regards,
Augustus Valium

None.

Jun 12 2017, 7:30 pm Pr0nogo Post #2

The Bink and Smacker tools function like that for 64-bit Windows installations (so most modern systems). My solution was to get a virtual desktop from VMWare and install a 32-bit copy of Windows XP onto it - quite the hassle, but the only thing that worked for me, since I didn't have a 32-bit XP computer lying around.

Hope this helps!

Jun 12 2017, 8:31 pm Augustus Valium Post #3

That would be a good last resort if I cannot find the smacker tools at all, but they've got to be out there somewhere.

Jun 12 2017, 8:57 pm poiuy_qwert Post #4

PyMS and ProTRG developer

You need to use the "old smacker tools", FaRTy has it hosted here http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/smacker.7z (when his server is up), not sure where else you can get it from (maybe we should upload it here? lol). There are some other topics about portraits as well, you can probably search the forum for "smacker" or "portrait" to find some.

Jun 12 2017, 11:11 pm Pr0nogo Post #5

Wait, that smacker tools works with 64-bit systems and doesn't result in static portraits??

Jun 13 2017, 12:34 am poiuy_qwert Post #6

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Pr0nogo
Wait, that smacker tools works with 64-bit systems and doesn't result in static portraits??
I don't really know about that issue. Pretty sure StarCraft shows static if it can't load the SMK, so there are probably many reasons why it might be static. I just know their tools stopped outputting files SC could read at some point (SC is old). I could actually see having issues on 64bit being an indicator of using the old tools, the newer ones probably work fine with 64bit (other then not outputting compatible SMK's), but I don't really know.

Jun 13 2017, 4:36 am Augustus Valium Post #7

Uploading it on here would probably be a good idea, especially since you can't edit portraits otherwise. The only other reason the portrait could be showing up as static is if it's somehow put in the .mpqs incorrectly or if it gets corrupted when packed. The latter case would again suggest that it relates to the software used to edit them.

If there's still being portraits made, we know that something works though. Another user on here is giving me his edition of the smacker tools. I certainly hope it works.

Update: Tried the old smacker tools I was given and it turns out the application doesn't initiate on 64 bit systems. I might see if it's possible to patch the application myself and get it to run on 64 bit systems later. For now, I have an XP computer I might be able to use.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 13 2017, 4:47 pm by Augustus Valium.

Jun 16 2017, 5:12 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #8

👻 👾 👽 💪

The one poiuy linked to from my site works perfectly fine for me on Win 10 64-bit (I just decompiled and recompiled a portrait). Are you running smackerw.exe?

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Jun 17 2017, 6:23 pm Corbo Post #9

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from Pr0nogo
Yes. You don't need the smacker tools to make smks. You need the old smacker tools which work in every OS so far.

Old being the keyword which a lot of people seem to miss out on.

Old smacker tools are also found on SEN's retarded DB and in my modding tool package.

fuck you all

Jun 18 2017, 2:19 am Augustus Valium Post #10

@Farty1billion,

I managed to download your smacker tools and ran smackerw.exe. So far so good although I have not made a portrait to test in game yet. Hopefully I will get to that soon.

I appreciate everyone's help. I will update here later to post whether or not my attempts to get portraits working were successful.

Options
  Back to forum