Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Triggers can't place mineral chunks, vespene orbs, etc?
Triggers can't place mineral chunks, vespene orbs, etc?
May 29 2017, 12:41 pm
By: yamatoclan  

May 29 2017, 12:41 pm yamatoclan Post #1

Hi,
I have a map where you drive a tank, and pickup gas-tanks (like scvs harvest) to refuel, otherwise your tank cannot move.

I was surprised at how easy and fun this setup was to implement.. but I've run into a problem.

There seems to be no way to create any of the mineral/gas pickups through triggers using "create unit" actions. Am I missing something?
I also tried creating a large stack off the side of the map, where I could have them continually moved from, but it seems I can't stack them either. Am I right?

I tried creating a quarantined area where the computer would harvest them from a geyser, then have the scvs killed, and the gas-tanks moved away, but I couldn't seem to really make that system work either. Can anyone possibly make a tutorial map that could at least do that?

Please help, this is a really cool system for this map, and for my idea I can't simply just pre-place all the gas-tanks.

PS - as a follow up question, in case you can answer all this:
I also have scvs that can pick up the gas, to bring back to you, when your (army)tank goes "empty". However it seems if the computer owns the gas, you can't pick it up. I tried having a trigger that gives you ownership of the gas-tank when your SCV is near it, and although that technically works, for some reason the SCV won't pick it up when the *triggers* gave it to that player. (only when I physically place it in scmdraft2 for that player)
I would try having it removed and replaced, but, again, I can't place them through triggers... grrrrrr)

Thanks

Attachments:
gas.jpg
Hits: 3 Size: 49.59kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 29 2017, 12:48 pm by yamatoclan.

None.

May 29 2017, 12:56 pm yamatoclan Post #2

I'm trying to think of any other possiblities... mind control might help maybe?

Come to think of it, when exactly do gas tanks/vespene orbs/mineral chunks/etc. get left on the ground? They don't normally, do they? Where have I seen it before?

None.

May 29 2017, 1:53 pm yamatoclan Post #3

ladies and gentlemen I seem to have solved it.. I realized I could just have the gas-tanks moved to a small quarantined location when they are "picked up", basically just looking as if they were removed (to the player) and from there I can indefinitely move them out back into the battlefield (as if being placed anew) so long as I don't place too many, and I only plan on having about 20 max on the battlefield at a time.

It would be nice to know why they don't respond to the create unit action though?

None.

May 29 2017, 1:57 pm Dem0n Post #4

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

You can't create mineral chunks/gas tanks with triggers. You have to pre-place them and move them to where you want. They count as units, though, which is why you couldn't stack them, so you'd have to dedicate a large area to placing them.

May 29 2017, 5:55 pm LoveLess Post #5

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Simply put, they were never supposed to be able to be created. The reason we have the ability to see their names there, and pre-place them at all, is because of third party editors.

None.

May 30 2017, 12:41 am rockz Post #6

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

You can't create units in starcraft via triggers if you can't place them in vanilla staredit.

You can preplace any unit in the game, though some may crash the game.

Notably, this includes:

Raszagal (corsair)
Gerard DuGalle (battlecruiser)
Arcturus Mengsk (battlecruiser)
Aldaris (high templar)
All 8 resource chunk powerups (the only killable powerups)
Any active doodad units like doors, traps
Dark Swarm
Disruption web

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 1 2017, 1:39 am nijoakim Post #7

@yamotoclan: I am a bit curious on how you do this pick up thing. I am trying to detect gas tanks mined from a refinery, but the "bring" or "commands" trigger won't detect them it seems.

None.

Aug 4 2017, 1:42 am rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from nijoakim
@yamotoclan: I am a bit curious on how you do this pick up thing. I am trying to detect gas tanks mined from a refinery, but the "bring" or "commands" trigger won't detect them it seems.
Mined resources are purely visual and not detectable by any reasonable means.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Aug 16 2017, 3:39 pm nijoakim Post #9

Quote from rockz
Quote from nijoakim
Mined resources are purely visual and not detectable by any reasonable means.
Okay! Thank you for the information!

None.

Aug 16 2017, 4:04 pm Kusari Post #10

I don't know if its needed, but you could make a "custom" refinery process with the Scvs.

You need a location for the scv detecting contact with a refinery (and check that it doesnt have a chunk).
Then you move the scv into a corner with any chunk-type unit/gas/mineral/or data discs/chysallis/etc and order him to move the scv across them, the scv will pickup those chunks. (You can add some waiting time/change player of the unit/etc. to allow those actions to finish).
Then you move back the scv with the chunk back to the original location, and there you go.

Those chunks can be detected by movement, and if the scv is destroyed I'm sure those items are dropped.

if the mineral/gas chunks weren't able to be carried I'll edit the post, I'm pretty sure they CAN BE carried but its been so long and I don't even have my editor ready to test it right now

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Aug 16 2017, 4:15 pm by Kusari.

None.

Options
  Back to forum