Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Fixing corrupt/sparkling pixels in custom terrain
Fixing corrupt/sparkling pixels in custom terrain
May 28 2017, 2:49 am
By: Pr0nogo  

May 28 2017, 2:49 am Pr0nogo Post #1

I've recently given terrain editing a try and came out with some promising results. The goal is to create doodads and eventually terrain types that represent protoss presence/architecture in the desert tileset.

However, it seems some pixels don't translate properly when in-game, and instead 'sparkle', oscillating between multiple colors in a rather distracting manner.

Example

After attempting to resolve this problem myself by setting the pixels to values that were accepted in other areas of the graphic, I recompiled the tileset and booted it up. This is what greeted me.

Is there a way to fix this? I'm honestly not even sure what's going on. I would think it's a palette issue but I'm exporting my image in photoshop using the desert palette, and it worked without issue for the pylon doodad. Any ideas?

May 29 2017, 5:30 am Pr0nogo Post #2

It looks like I was able to resolve the issue with the help of farty. He sent me a desert-nc palette that I used with photoshop to avoid the sparkling issue, and no black boxes have appeared so far. Here is a link to the act palettes for all -nc tilesets in case anyone else wants to make custom terrain and runs into this problem.

Thanks farty!

May 29 2017, 12:18 pm Voyager7456 Post #3

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Quote from Pr0nogo
Is there a way to fix this? I'm honestly not even sure what's going on. I would think it's a palette issue but I'm exporting my image in photoshop using the desert palette, and it worked without issue for the pylon doodad. Any ideas?

FYI, what was happening here is there are certain indices in the terrain palettes where SC cycles through different colors. This is how it produces the "waves" in water terrain and the glow for lava.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

May 29 2017, 2:34 pm Pr0nogo Post #4

Yeah, farty told me as much. Still puzzled about how that led to the black box issue.

May 29 2017, 2:54 pm Voyager7456 Post #5

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

I ran into the same issue a few years ago, but I can't remember what the cause was.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Options
  Back to forum