May 20 2017, 12:34 pm
By: Ghoster  

May 20 2017, 12:34 pm Ghoster Post #1

Chaos Sphere

Specifications:
  • Players: 1
  • Tileset: Jungle
  • Map Size: 256x256

Chaos Sphere is a dark adventure map about a traveler trying to solve the mystery of The Sphere, which is a large, unknown zone god knows where and when full of monsters and deadly anomalies. I won't lie: it is strongly influenced by the Hæan Legancy map posted here some time ago (to be honest, I stole some of its ideas like the spider-lights in caves - it won't be used that much though), but also different in some of its aspects. Firstly, the Chaos Sphere has several different factions to which the player will be able to join. In the very beginning I wanted to create a highly interactive map in which the player(s) would be able to join factions, make quests for them and conquer bunch of locations or outposts on the map. This aspect will still exist in the map, but, to be honest, there will be only three such places. Still, there are many locations in which player can complete quests for any faction he desires. This will, of course, lead to hostility of other factions (in most cases all of them), so it is worth rethinking if joining any of them is actually worth it. Thanks to this idea, the Chaos Sphere will hopefully be a very replayable map, because it won't be possible to achieve all quests or find all secrets on the single run. The map already contains 29 big locations (faction's stations, battle areas, both of them mixed or areas important for the story) and 10 smaller ones (like taverns or insides of the stations with interactive NPCs).

The factions that will be in the game:
  • Juxtaposers () - Juxtaposers gather all men willing to free the Sphere's powers outside of it and those, who are in need of food and supplies. Their anarchistic approach is seen as highly dangerous by other factions, therefore they are are often their major concern. Their leader, Alexander Dierov, has stated, that he's searching for men willing to dive into the Sphere in search of a mysterious device called "Walking Shadow".
  • CVET (█) - Standing for Civilian Volition Enforcement Troops is one one the newest factions in the Sphere and it looks forward to destroy all the threat of the creatures and unexplained, deadly anomalies. They inhabit one of the outer zones of the Sphere. Being lead by Dalia Vivieux they thrive among the wastelands wanting to clean them from the monster plague.
  • Al-Qatla (The Slayers) () - Little is known about Al-Qatla (the Slayers), a faction of mutants and maniacs who survived for long enough in the depths of the Sphere to create their own camp somewhere in the deeper caves. It is said that they are not as much of a faction as they are an order, sect following a mad credo. Some whisper about Oreash, their high priest, who has seen the horrors of the Sphere with his own eyes.
  • Bandits () - The last known faction is the Bandits, scavenging old technology and robbing all those who enter their wide spread outposts. They're ruthless murderers and thieves. Their chief Ryan Tarhet has gained control over the entrance to the Inner Sphere.
  • The Military () - Long after the factions have set up inside the Sphere, the Military decided to close main cordons and reopen the old mining shaft in Ajarro Mine for its own purposes. No one knows what is hidden there, inside the dark, abandoned corridors, but whatever it is, all of the factions will pay hard money for the information.
  • ? (?) - Perhaps there are some other factions, somewhere deep inside the Sphere, but nobody has ever returned from there...

Progress:
  • Terrain: 100%
  • Story: 50%
  • Inventory And Stores: 25%
  • Location Traveling System: 10%
  • Quests: 0%

...And some (mini-)screenies:

I mean there's 40 proper locations to which player can go (to which the character/unit can be sent to) + 1 "inventory location" for the player. Also in most of these locations there are "enemy outposts", between 2 and 6, which spawn enemies for the players to be killed and gained experience on. This gives me 240 locations in the editor, which, as most of you may already know, is quite close to the border which you just cannot cross. And I have to say that this number is already smaller than it should be, because there are so many planned locations on the map, that I had to use a lot of "tricks" to overcome these difficulties. I'll give you an example: there are about ~35 characters which can be interacted with (or rather: there would be, if I finished the triggers) and they do not have their own locations: there are a bunch of smaller editor-locations which always move to proper characters based on the position of player's unit (if it's in one city, this locations moves onto some character so you can talk to him). This spares *a lot* of place, yet it consumes a lot of triggers as well, but hey, that's just engine.

So. If any of you cares, I'd be very glad if you'd help me in the threads that I'll spam in the next days according to helping me with the triggers, because many of those are way beyond me.

Peace.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 21 2017, 6:59 am by Ghoster.

May 20 2017, 6:39 pm Oh_Man Post #2

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Love the terrain work!

This looks promising but also looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I wish you luck with this project and look forward to playing the finished product.

May 21 2017, 12:26 am ScOULaris Post #3

This looks like a really awesome project. I look forward to playing it when it's finished. Great terrain work in the screenshots as well.

None.

May 22 2017, 6:26 pm Pauper Post #4

The project sounds awesome.

I look forward to the updates and its completion!

Jun 18 2017, 5:04 am Butch Post #5

PROFESSIONAL MAP MAKER

looks great. Looking forward to playing.

None.

Options
  Back to forum