Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Staredit have some Virus problem?
Staredit have some Virus problem?
Dec 26 2016, 3:23 pm
By: Rawflesh0615  

Dec 26 2016, 3:23 pm Rawflesh0615 Post #1

When I was trying to download some maps from Staredit. There was this nasty Security Error which popped out from nowhere. I mean where the hell is that thing come from? I mean seriously. Did my computer got some virus or this website do have some viruses. I wasn't trolling anybody about this virus. But the problem is, this website have some security error or someone who was fooling it. This is what I got:

The site ahead contains harmful programs

Attackers on www.staredit.net might attempt to trick you into installing programs that harm your browsing experience (for example, by changing your homepage or showing extra ads on sites you visit).
Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy

None.

Dec 26 2016, 5:31 pm Dem0n Post #2

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Just ignore it. I don't know what that shit is, but there's no problem with the site. I mean, there is some security issue probably, but there's no actual virus being sent to your computer.

Dec 26 2016, 6:51 pm Excalibur Post #3

The sword and the faith

Rawflesh0615,
There are no viruses on SEN. All of our hosted files are safe from a security standpoint, although some AV programs do see some mod EXEs as viruses due to the nature of how they are packaged. This is referred to as a false positive. You can read more about false positives here.

In addition some web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, ect) try to warn users when visiting a site that has been reported to host or otherwise serve malicious data to those who connect to it. SEN is not one of these sites, and if we were placed on such a list it would be an error on the part of the browser.

If you have further questions please let us know.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Dec 27 2016, 4:09 am Rawflesh0615 Post #4

This so called anti-virus warning is totally a joke. But not much.

None.

Dec 27 2016, 1:54 pm rockz Post #5

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Websites that are known to host malicious programs can be marked by google as unsafe, and thus trigger a warning. It appears that SEN may have been placed on that list briefly or only for you.

Generally the warning is there for your benefit, as there are sites out there which will attempt to trick you into installing applications that will modify your homepage, default search, and generally hijack your browser to display ads. This is an attempt by Google to solve the issue of their Grandmas downloading adware onto their computers. Generally when people see a warning label, they 1) don't read it fully to comprehend its meaning, 2) say they got a virus, 3) talk about it with someone blowing it out of proportion. Generally they don't continue onto the site either, so it saves their computer from accidental harm from running a malicious file.

Sourceforge is a place that typically bundles all of their abandoned material with adware in order to offset the cost of hosting files. Here at SEN, that isn't done, though if someone purposefully uploaded an application which included adware, we wouldn't know about it unless it was reported.

You should always scan every installer you download with an online virus scanner, even on trusted sites like SEN.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 18 2020, 3:06 pm t1mz_ Post #6

Just for a note - I've got Firefox warning right now when I was trying to go on some /scdb page. There was no warnings earlier, and are no warnings now though.

None.

Oct 19 2020, 1:08 pm Voyager7456 Post #7

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

We're aware, and are working to resolve the issue. It's a false positive caused by a couple tools in the DLDB being flagged.

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Oct 20 2020, 4:11 am Corbo Post #8

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Yeah, remember to wear a mask while browsing our database and generally while being outside. In fact, don't go out and #StayHome.

Take care.

fuck you all

Options
  Back to forum