Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: External SAS card or Portable "Server"
External SAS card or Portable "Server"
Oct 16 2016, 9:09 am
By: rockz  

Oct 16 2016, 9:09 am rockz Post #1

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

So I need a dirt cheap method of reading SAS drives. I've got some SAS drives that I can't get into, and I come across them from time to time when working.

The #1 option would be an external SAS reader, whether that be by USB-3.0 or thunderbolt, but I worry that's going to get very expensive very quick.

The #2 option would be some sort of mini-ITX computer that has a SAS card. If it's possible to build the entire computer for less than $100, that would be great.

I'd be using it more for taking it when I travel so I can quickly set it up and bring it back down when I'm ready to leave to diagnose what's wrong with the drives.

This is a pretty nonstandard build, but maybe one of you has some experience with SAS?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 18 2016, 10:38 am Generalpie Post #2

Staredit Puckwork

You're probably unlikely to find a cheap solution for SAS, as like most enterprise-grade standards is expensive. Really, your best bet is to go with option 2 with some spare parts if any, and try to check for validation/compatibility for other components. I did mess with SAS in class and training a bit, but it's incredibly situation-based, as most of the time SAS is used in RAID, and the usual headaches with that apply.

As for any internal SAS card recommendation, I don't have any feasible options in a price range that fits your request, and the ones that I do have positive experience with are at least 4X over budget.

None.

Options
  Back to forum