New GPU?
Jan 20 2016, 8:33 pm
By: NudeRaider  

Jan 20 2016, 8:33 pm NudeRaider Post #1

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from NudeRaider
I'm eying for a GTX980. When can we expect the price to drop by about 20% due to new tech or something? Is this going to happen in the foreseeable future?
Quote from Oh_Man
The Geforce 1000 series is coming out this year. Don't know what month. Expect prices to go then.

But I don't know why you'd go for the 980. 970 is a better bet for price per performance.

If you really want that extra 2GB of VRAM then get the 980 Ti. The 980 is in that kind of weird no-man's land between the 970 and 980 Ti and I really don't think the extra $200 price increase from the 970 justifies the extra 5 or 10 frames per second performance gain you'll get.

Battlefield 4
1,920 x 1,080, DirectX 11, 'Ultra' Settings
980 - min 67 average 88
970 - min 61 average 78
So far the discussion in the other thread. Moved now, not to hijack it because apparently there is some discussion necessry.

Currently I own a 7870 XT. It's still good/okay, but I'm starting to get worried by the 2 GB RAM and money isn't as tight as it used to be.
Reasons I'm focusing the upgrade to the GTX980 is because I want a reasonable upgrade over my current card but I'm not ready to spend a ridiculous amount of money for something I could live without. I'm looking into nVidia mostly because running a cool and efficient card is worth a couple bucks to me.

I'd love the 6GB RAM of a GTX980, but it's by far too expensive. The 500€ for a 980 are already stretching my limit. I'd like to aim for 400€.
A GTX970 seems like a comparably small step up considering it still costs over 300€.
@Oh_man you seemed to have picked a particularly bad example. According to my research, depending on the game the 980 is about 10-20% faster than the 970, depending on the game.

A 970 Ti seems to fit that gap but unfortunately there's no such card. :( Are there other alternatives? Anything more specific on how long I'd have to wait or if it's even going to be worth it?

Jan 20 2016, 9:54 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Also from Jack's thread that's worth mentioning here for all your options (though I was specifically talking in context of 1440p gaming for that post):

Quote from Roy
The cards along your upgrade path look as follows (ordered from lowest to highest tier):

AMD R9 290 - 4GB, good price/performance, lots of power and quite a bit of heat
Nvidia GTX 970 - 3.5GB + 0.5GB (slower), good price/performance, runs efficient and cool
AMD R9 290X - 4GB, good price/performance, lots of power and lots of heat
AMD R9 390 - 8GB, good price/performance, lots of power and a quite a bit of heat
AMD R9 390X - 8GB, good price/performance, lots of power but relatively cool
Nvidia 980 - 4GB, bad price/performance, runs efficient and cool
AMD Fury - 4GB HBM (new tech), bad price/performance, lots of power and quite a bit of heat
AMD Fury X - 8GB HBM (new tech), average price/performance, lots of power and heat but liquid cooling comes standard
Nvidia 980 Ti - 6GB, average price/performance, quite a bit of power but efficient
Nvidia Titan X - 12GB, bad price/performance, lots of power and quite a bit of heat

Price/Performance remarks are based on the going rates in the US.

Generally if you don't have heat/power concerns, the GTX 970 is avoided due to the "not truly 4GB VRAM" debacle. The 290X and 390 perform quite similarly, but the 390 is more efficient and is generally the same price or cheaper nowadays. The 980 only barely edges ahead of the 390X in terms of performance, but it is much more expensive, which makes it not a great pick most of the time (as an aside: I actually have a GTX 980 because of power constraints). The Fury beats the 980, though not by much, and there is once again a large price hike. The Fury X and 980 Ti are pretty comparable in both price and performance, but the 980 Ti comes ahead in many titles, which is compounded by its superior efficiency. Finally, the Titan X is more powerful than the 980 Ti, but the price premium on it makes it more of a novelty than an actual consideration.

Therefore, the general upgrade path I'd consider for high-end cards is 290 -> 390 -> 390X -> 980 Ti. You can do your own research for any of the cards mentioned above (or look at previous generations if you're able to find any) if you think they fit the bill better, though.

Quote from NudeRaider
A GTX970 seems like a comparably small step up considering it still costs over $300.
It's not really a small step. It's a solid 1080p card.

Quote from NudeRaider
A 970 Ti seems to fit that gap but unfortunately there's no such card. :( Are there other alternatives?
The 780 Ti would fit the bill, though there are not many reasons to choose it over the 970. While it's better in terms of specs, the Maxwell architecture brings optimizations that Kepler lacks.

AMD has the 390X, which uses more power but actually runs cooler than the 980 (according to Anandtech). It also has more VRAM.

Quote from NudeRaider
Anything more specific on how long I'd have to wait or if it's even going to be worth it?
Specifically between 7-12 months is when Pascal will launch, which may cause price drops on Maxwell cards. Your best bet would be buying used, however. For what it's worth, I picked up a B-Stock 980 on EVGA's site for $375, though I don't know if that's an option for you.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jan 20 2016, 10:05 pm by Roy.

Jan 20 2016, 10:58 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Thanks for the replies so far.

Quote from Roy
It's not really a small step. It's a solid 1080p card.
I have the XT variant which is better by 1 Tom's Hardware Tier which is roughly 15% faster, and overclocks quite well.
But yeah if I compare with a R9 280 it's about 50%-70% better -- just above the minimum increase I'd like to see. So yes, it is an option, just not in the range I'd ideally aim for.
Oh and yes, I'm not going to go higher than 1080p gaming.

Quote from Roy
The 780 Ti would fit the bill, though there are not many reasons to choose it over the 970. While it's better in terms of specs, the Maxwell architecture brings optimizations that Kepler lacks.
Caught my attention as well, but 3GB RAM was the final nail in the coffin. I'd likely pay double with this one.

Quote from Roy
AMD has the 390X, which uses more power but actually runs cooler than the 980 (according to Anandtech). It also has more VRAM.
Seems like it's worth a closer look. Although I was pretty set on nVidia due to PhysX and no need for higher resolutions than 1080p, it might be the option that fits my ideas best.

Quote from Roy
For what it's worth, I picked up a B-Stock 980 on EVGA's site for $375, though I don't know if that's an option for you.
Lovely. Would buy right away but shipping is only to Canada and US. Maybe I can find similar options around here or a mail proxy. Anything I need to regard in terms of customs fees?
Unfortunately used cards are not that much cheaper and come with the risk of buying from a non-commercial seller. Maybe if I find a particularly good/trustworthy offer.

Options
  Back to forum