Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: [Spoilers] Legacy of the Void
[Spoilers] Legacy of the Void
Nov 12 2015, 3:06 am
By: Corbo
Pages: < 1 2 3

Dec 2 2015, 11:44 pm JCarrill0 Post #41

Just finished the last campaign, it was amazing!

Quote from Oh_Man
If the OM had no freewill how could it create Kerrrigan?

Also remember that wasn't Tassadar giving that speech about the OM. That was Orous Xel Naga masquerading as Tassadar.
What if: Tassadar was Orous incarnate? Now before you think I'm going far-fetch, think for a brief moment about Diablo 3 Story (not to bring it into discussion, just think about it). Beings of Omnipresence who are not allowed to interfere. One comes down to save the world anyways, but lost all Memory of WHO they really was. So in this idea.. Orous could of always been Tassadar just as many stories do.\
Blizzard loves to screw things like this.
/theory

Quote from Pr0nogo
even if Ourous was just Tassadar, that's a retcon of earlier in the game when Artanis says that none but Amon directly interfered with the Protoss - unless we're supposed to assume that Tassadar was an actual character and that his 'resurrection' was actually Ourous, but they don't specify, so we can only speculate.
I agree

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 3 2015, 3:02 pm by JCarrill0.

Dec 3 2015, 4:27 pm Zycorax Post #42

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Sounds like I haven't lost out on anything by completely ignoring this release. The HotS campaign really put me off the franchise, so I didn't really have high hopes for LotV, but this sounds really awful :P

Dec 3 2015, 4:34 pm Pr0nogo Post #43

Definitely the worst title blizzard's made to date, so you made a good call by ignoring it.

Dec 3 2015, 5:10 pm JCarrill0 Post #44

Quote from Pr0nogo
Definitely the worst title blizzard's made to date, so you made a good call by ignoring it.
I don't think it was that bad, Seems like they put a lot of work into sc2 over the last 5 years.

I loved the units in sc2 WoL, HotS seemed easier then WoL, LotV seemed like the added a better Challenge then HotS did, granted not everything played out like everyone wanted, but not just not realistic to play out like you expect.

SC2BW is by far my most interesting thing I am doing on SC2, but LotV did manage to take my interest away, for that I am grateful they made a GOOD campaign.

PS - Raynor & Kerrigan, still a better love story then Twilight!

Dec 3 2015, 6:52 pm Pr0nogo Post #45

How would you qualify lotv as 'good'? Have you never played a game with production value before?

Dec 3 2015, 7:46 pm Vrael Post #46

Quote from Pr0nogo
How would you qualify lotv as 'good'? Have you never played a game with production value before?
Did you skip the step in childhood development where most people realize other people can think and feel and form their own opinions and stuff?

Sure the story blew huge monkey chunks. The campaign itself was still fun, as long as you let yourself enjoy it.

None.

Dec 3 2015, 7:55 pm Pr0nogo Post #47

Quote from Vrael
Did you skip the step in childhood development where most people realize other people can think and feel and form their own opinions and stuff?

I am genuinely interested in how this person enjoyed the game.

Quote from Vrael
Sure the story blew huge monkey chunks. The campaign itself was still fun, as long as you let yourself enjoy it.

Most fun I had was when I was blowing my brains out live on video. The most generous adjectives I can use for this campaign was stale, boring, recycled, and criminally mediocre.

Dec 3 2015, 8:42 pm JCarrill0 Post #48

Quote from Pr0nogo
Well as we are all entitled to opinions, I expressed mine, no sense to be insulted because I enjoyed something.

Quote from Pr0nogo
I am genuinely interested in how this person enjoyed the game.
Not when you insult someone your not! Your expressed your opinion, As i did mine, so lets leave it at that :)

Dec 4 2015, 3:28 am Oh_Man Post #49

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

I compare SCBW and SC2 like Lord of the Rings trilogy versus The Hobbit trilogy.

LOTR and SCBW were great.
Hobbit trilogy and SC2 were good/okay/fine.

In both cases you have very high production value but let down with average writing.

Dec 28 2015, 6:30 am NudeRaider Post #50

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I must say, I'm like 95% with Oh_man on this one.

Generally I liked the game but it did have it's weaknesses. Sometimes so grave that you wonder what the hell the person responsible was thinking. The other type of problem is repetition: The missions, the dialogs, the topics, the sentiments. Many have mentioned this already in this thread. At first I really liked the conversations. Until I noticed the recurring theme. And I think this is why Alarak gets so much love. He's refreshingly different. He trolls what we hate. But he is actually not less annoying than the other characters if taken by themselves.

What I liked:
- The visuals above all. Especially the spear of Adun, but everything else Protoss as well.
- The cutscenes / fight scenes. Nice presentation, as always by Blizzard.
- Rohana. Because she was a proud Protoss, but not buttercupping everything like the others. I was so mad when she gave up the Khala for no fucking reason. She even used it against Amon. It was heroic of her to endure it.
- At first the epic speeches and interactions but that got old fast.
- The abilities. I'd go as far as saying they were imba. But without imba you wouldn't have had a chance to defeat those impossible odds. So you might take that as a negative but from a gamer perspective being imba is always more fun that getting frustrated.
- How the end wrapped things up
- The epilogue because it was both fun and refreshing to play and a nice way to tie loose ends.

So that's quite a list. And maybe answers Pr0nogo's question how you can enjoy the game. But as we all know Blizzard may be good with the details but fails on the larger scales. Hard.

So here's what I hated:

- The whole void thing made no fucking sense at all. Space magic. Bad.
- The missions were ALL time based and as such all felt the same. No proper strategy, just find optimal build and rush your units back and forth between 2-3 objectives (base defense, main objective, bonus)
- The muscular Protoss. Not as bad as Jim Raynor, but still exaggerated. They are psi warriors, yet they fight like barbarians from RPGs. No finesse. Compare to bw when Artanis used the Uraj in the Xel'Naga temple. I'm fine with more armor in war times, but don't change them physically.
- All this "everyone loves each other" and Artanis being the uber love guru guiding them all to mutual orgasm. So annoying. Templar and DTs alright. They had Zeratul to bring them together, but with the other factions there should've been much more fighting and debate. Maybe a backstab. Make things interesting!
- Inconsistency 1 WE ARE ONE THROUGH THE KHALA. *couple missions later* WE ARE STRONGER WITHOUT THE KHALA... O.o
- Inconsistency 2 Do not use the purifiers as slaves. Talk to them, make them join, bla bla. *1 mission later* Take control of these 3 colossi, we'll talk later, just do as I say for now... O.o
- Inconsistency 3 Artanis just talks Selendis into cutting her nerve cords and suddenly all Protoss everywhere did the same. How did Selendis reach/convince all them? Through the Khala? I thought that was just a emotion thing and upped the spirits and not a mind reader. Also it's not believeable that every single Protoss actually agreed and did it. How many can remain in the Khala so that Amon still gets expelled? It was never explained, and probably not actually fleshed out. WHY NOT? SUCH A PIVOTAL MOMENT IS NOT THOUGHT TROUGH? *sigh*
And what of Rohana? I guess she saw that she has to cut the Khala connection anyway, because everyone has to according to Artanis plan. So why not show that? In the cutscene it is displayed as if Artanis finally convinced her that it's too dangerous (stasis field has proven that it's not).
- No noticable consequences. Zeratul dies, Shakuras dies, Fleet and basically all Protoss lost, but you never feel it. You can still build whatever in arbitrary numbers. It also has no impact on the story.
- WTF Raynor at the end: Why is the marshal badge still important? It's been what? 10 years or so? And super WTF at being fetched by Kerrigan and never been seen again. -.-
- No bitter feeling at the cost of the Amon-war. There must have been dozens, if not more Terran worlds that were eradicated, plus 1.5 Protoss Homeworlds with probably millions dead. Just a shallow happy ending. There should've been emotions. Relief and happiness but also sadness, hopelessness, riots, and of course tons of repair and cleanup work, disputes, trials, and so on. If they showed only half of these it wouldv'e been believeable. And the end would become so much more meaningful.

Other thoughts:
- Zeratuls so called prophecy was just an image projected by Ourous of what could be if they don't stop Amon. Just like the writings that Zerg and Protoss need to awake the Xel'Naga. If you read them as instructions it makes more sense.
- What exactly is/are Templar? Wasn't it the warrior caste? Kalarax apparently becomes one. But after the caste system was declared terminated. So it's just an honorary title now? But why is Artanis insisting on the Templar being uber all the time?

So the hated list is much longer than the liked list. But overall I still enjoyed playing the game. And it will be special for me as it's finally a conclusion to everything we've been presented so far from sc to bw over wol and hots. I just wish Blizzard would plan things better and sacrifice some of their attention to detail for it. They have such potential and then waste it with terrible blunders. Oh and even if it's the last part put some effort into making the missions good! Not just creative (they are!) but also enjoyable to play. Give gamers some say in the game play. They'll tell that gamers like freedom in their missions, not railroading and being forced to act every 2 minutes on some whacky event. It's a RTS, focus being on strategy.

Did any of you (have the time to) devise strategies? I just used the same basic unit comp every damn level, without much deviation.

Dec 28 2015, 6:44 am Corbo Post #51

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from NudeRaider
Did any of you (have the time to) devise strategies? I just used the same basic unit comp every damn level, without much deviation.

I went mass zealots + stalkers in all the missions.
And I am pretty sure voy went mass voids in all of them.

Does that count? :P

fuck you all

Dec 28 2015, 8:43 am NudeRaider Post #52

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Corbo
Quote from NudeRaider

I went mass zealots + stalkers in all the missions.

Does that count? :P
yes it counts - towards not having devised a strategy. :P

Dec 28 2015, 1:47 pm JCarrill0 Post #53

I made silly rules if that counts? The first play through I used all Auir-type units, then when I replayed through.

First, I set it to casual and never did any upgrade or research, (in other words I did nothing I just played through mission by mission)
Then I went back on harder difficulty (within the master archives) I used specific units and changed them during different selections.
(Basically, on Shakuras Missions, I only used only Nerazim-type units, Purifier Mission, In only used Purifier-type units, Tal'darim Mission, I only used Tal'darim-yype units)

It is stupid silly, but I enjoyed doing the second play through like that.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 28 2015, 1:55 pm by JCarrill0.

Dec 28 2015, 7:11 pm Voyager7456 Post #54

Responsible for my own happiness? I can't even be responsible for my own breakfast

Quote from Corbo
[quote=name:NudeRaider]

Yep. :hurr:

all i am is a contrary canary
but i'm crazy for you
i watched you cradling a tissue box
sneezing and sniffling, you were still a fox

Modding Resources: The Necromodicon [WIP] | Mod Night
My Projects: SCFC | ARAI | Excision [WIP] | SCFC2 [BETA] | Robots vs. Humans | Leviathan Wakes [BETA]

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum