Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Hard drive clicking noise
Hard drive clicking noise
Sep 4 2015, 9:45 am
By: Corbo  

Sep 4 2015, 9:45 am Corbo Post #1

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Hello SEN, I just woke up in the middle of the night to get some water and heard funny noises coming from my laptop. I have always left my laptop suspended over night and another night (not this one) I heard noises coming out of it.

So this has been going for at least...say... two months? (First time i heard it)

What i hear are noises coming out from the HD. The same noise i hear when i unsuspend the computer but only the first 2-4 seconds until i hear a "click" and it stops. Like if its trying to boot but fails. After it stops it repeats again. These happen at close intervals... say... the whole process of noise on, click, off, on again happens everytime in 5 seconds. God knows when it stops. (Maybe when the battery dies)

I would gladly like to know what is it. Should I just leave my laptop completely off? Is my HD going to die?

This happens when the lappy is left disconnected. I have, for quite a while, left it disconnected because the charger emits a high pitch sound when left connected to a power source while not actually working.

JUST tested it and it also does the clicking thing when connected.

fuck you all

Sep 4 2015, 1:41 pm NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

First off there's two suspensions: Sleep (suspend to RAM) and Hibernation (suspend to disk). When you've put the laptop into sleep it'll be back to the Desktop pretty much instantly because it's still running but all non-essential hardware has been turned off.
When hibernated your computer is taking pretty much the same time to continue than it would need for a cold reboot and you'll see a screen similar to this:

In the latter case your hdd cannot (should not) make any noises because everything is (should be) powered off.
In the former case the hdd should also not make any noises as everything except ram should be powered off.

And then there's hybrid sleep, which does both: First saves the RAM to disk (to prevent data loss) and keeps the RAM powered (for instant wake-up), which is the norm for laptops. When the laptop can't finish saving to disk it might try inifinitely.

Since you're experiencing it differently there's likely something not working as intended. This could be due to a number of problems, starting from software being stubborn, windows driver errors, hardware issues or power state changing issues.
To find out you really have no choice to check for all of them. One of the simplest to check for are hardware errors of HDD and RAM. Then I'd try sfc /scannow to find damaged windows componenents. If that turns up nothing, checking the event log might turn up the culprit but that requires someone experienced checking the various problems that will turn up. (Trust me the event log ALWAYS shows errors.) I could check it over Teamviewer.
If all else fails a fresh install usually does wonders with these kind of errors.

Options
  Back to forum