Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Answer #1 1

17%
Answer #2 3

50%
Answer #3 2

34%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 6 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Jun 2 2015, 7:59 pm Dem0n Post #1

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Wilderness II
After a plane crash leaves you and a few other survivors stranded on an uninhabited island, you must use your primal instincts to collect natural resources, forge tools to help you build, and hunt game to survive.
Specifications:
  • Size: 256x256
  • Players: 1-6
  • Genre: Survival
  • Size: 1.54 mb
Gameplay:
  • Starting off with a Civilian, roam the map to collect resources.
  • Use the dropship system to pick up, drop, use, combine, and wield items.
  • Maintain your hunger and warmth, both of which affect your overall health if they drop too low.
  • Hunt game to collect meat and stave off your hunger.
  • Build fires and shelters to protect against the cold.
  • Survive as long as possible against the elements of nature.
Description

An unknown number of years, a guy named ws-Johnpaul made a map called WILDERNESS, in which you were a plane crash survivor who had to roam an island collecting items to make different weapons, which could be used to kill animals and eat their meat. This map was really cool and interesting, as it was a change from the usual defense/diplo/mass/etc genre that flooded Battle.net. However, it was incredibly unpolished and very outdated by today's standards, so I decided to remake it from scratch, keeping some of the original concepts that I thought were still viable, and changing others that could benefit from newer systems. I've kept many of the items and recipes to make them the same, but I've also included many new resources and items, as well as some new survival mechanics (warmth and health).

How the Game Works

As outlined in the Gameplay section, you start as a Civilian and must roam around the island collecting resources. You need to use these resources to craft tools and weapons, which serve to protect you from the island's indigenous creatures, as well as the changing weather (a list of all the item combinations is included at the end of this post). As time goes on, you will naturally get hungrier, so you will either need to eat fruits, which can be collected around the map in bushes, or kill animals for their meat. Eating raw meat might lessen your hunger, or it may make you sick and directly impact your health. Creating fires and cooking these meats ensures that you will only benefit from consuming them, but you are also at risk of burning them on the fires.

All four seasons are included, with spring and summer being the fairest seasons. With autumn and winter comes the cold, and your warmth will steadily decrease unless you are near a fire or in a shelter. Your hunger and warmth both start at 20, and your health starts at 40, and if either your hunger of warmth go below 10, your health will start to slowly decrease. If either (or both) hit 0, your health will rapidly decrease until you bring the other two vitals up.

As this is a survival map, there isn't really any main objective other than to survive. I may add one, as I know how a map without a goal can seem pretty pointless to play, but I will need to think of an actual, good objective before implementing it (suggestions are welcome).

Dropship System

You have a Shuttle, which allows you to do the following things: pick up, drop, wield, unwield, combine, use, and use with. To pick up an item, simply stand next to it and unload the unit named 'Pick Up'. Picking up an item will add it to your inventory, which is located in the bottom left corner of the map. To do anything with an item in your inventory, bring it to the beacons and unload a unit from the Shuttle. For example, if you want to equip a weapon, bring that unit to the beacon, and unload the unit named 'Wield'. Unequipping a weapon doesn't require you to bring anything to the beacons, as you'll just revert back to your Civilian. Dropping an item is the same as wielding: simply bring it to the beacons and unload 'Drop'. To combine resources to make a new item, bring all those resources to the beacons and unload 'Combine'. 'Use' is for when you want to interact with things on the map. For example, if you want to mine ore or fish, bring either your pickaxe or fishing rod to the beacon, and unload 'Use' to do either action. 'Use With' is mostly for when you want to create a new item that needs to be crafted with another item. As an example, to craft a pickaxe, you need to bring the required materials, as well as a metal hammer, to the beacons, and unload 'Use With'. Basically, whenever you have two or more items that aren't all being combined together, you want to use 'Use With'.

Hints

• Collect every item you come across.
  • Constantly watch your hunger and warmth to ensure your health is not affected. Eat often and collect meats, fruits, and material for fires for the winter, as food will be less abundant, and fires will be necessary to survive.
  • Understand the dropship system to make collecting and creating new items quick and easy. It might seem a bit wonky at first, but it makes sense (in my opinion, at least) after you get the hang of it.
  • Don't be a lone wolf. While it might seem fun to alienate other players and try to survive on your own, your best bet is to work together and trade items to ensure you all last as long as possible.
To-Do List:
  • Make mission briefing and mission objectives.
  • Have intro message at beginning of map.
  • Finish balancing units.
  • Color all unit names.
  • Fix item spawning so the same items don't spawn multiple times next to each other.
  • Undoubtedly, many other things...
How You Can Help:
  • There are, without a doubt, many bugs in this map. Everything works fine when I test it myself, but I've noticed that things sometimes get a little weird when multiple people are playing. Please, report any bugs in this thread so I can fix them.
  • The balancing isn't really done. I made some preliminary changes to the unit stats, but I'm not sure if they're where they need to be. Any suggestions on those would be great.
  • Suggestions on the difficulty of the map, rate of item spawning, and/or survival mechanics (hunger, warmth, health) would be greatly appreciated. I haven't really PLAYED through this map so much as I have tested all the different things, so I'm not actually sure if the difficulty is where it needs to be. I mean, who wants to play an easy survival map?
  • As I stated before, suggestions on some sort of endgame objective are welcome.
Screen Shots:

Collapse Box
Crafting Recipes:

Don't look if you want to discover them for yourself!
Download

Attached below are WILDERNESS by ws-Johnpaul, and Wilderness II by Dem0n aka Dem0nS1ayer.

Attachments:
Wilderness.scx
Hits: 7 Size: 118.48kb
Wilderness II.scx
Hits: 17 Size: 1536.97kb

Post has been edited 10 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2015, 9:53 pm by Dem0n.

Jun 5 2015, 9:49 pm Dem0n Post #2

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Version 1.01 has been released. The mission briefing and mission objectives have been added, and all unit names have been colored. The updated file is in the OP.

Jun 6 2015, 7:27 pm Swampfox Post #3

Hey, fun map. Got some criticism for ya after a few plays. I played once till death before checking out the recipes, and two more times after that:

1. Unit unplaceable errors like crazy. Typically it pops up occasionally but my game was assaulted by them a couple times for like a minute straight.

2. A big problem with similar items everywhere. I had like 50% of the map just covered in rocks one time.

3. During one game it took me exploring almost the entire map before I found a combustible rock. No fire for me :( Might go hand in hand with number 2.

4. The slingshot doesn't work after running out of arrows for the bow. Effectively breaks the game as you can no longer get feathers/arrows.

5. What's the point of fishing? You use 1 food to make bait to then fish and catch 1 food. I see no benefit. Am I missing something?

6. Without looking at the recipes it's nearly impossible to figure out any of them. Maybe implement some sort of hint system?

I think that's it! Good work otherwise :D

None.

Jun 6 2015, 7:38 pm Dem0n Post #4

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Yeah, problems 1-3 are a big problem with my spawning system. I've been scrutinizing my triggers trying to figure out what's wrong, but I can't find anything that would make them spawn repeatedly in the same area. For problem 3, I might just need to increase the spawn rate of some of the materials.

4 - I thought that fixed that. That's annoying. :(

5 - There's really no benefit to it over hunting land animals. I just thought it'd be fun to add another thing to do. :P Maybe I'll make fish decrease your hunger more than meat? I dunno.

6 - Yeah, I'll probably do that. It is really hard to figure out what goes together currently.

Jun 7 2015, 12:10 am Swampfox Post #5

For the fishing it isnt even on par with hunting because there is no net gain in food. Maybe have a chance to catch 0-3 fish, and/or make it so food is made into more than one piece of bait.

Also, just an unrelated suggestion, i was playing an rpg recently where you moved your dropship to perform actions. Maybe have it so moving your dropship picks up items. Its faster and easier to use since you dont have to click on the templar.

None.

Jun 7 2015, 4:17 am Dem0n Post #6

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Swampfox
For the fishing it isnt even on par with hunting because there is no net gain in food. Maybe have a chance to catch 0-3 fish, and/or make it so food is made into more than one piece of bait.
Yeah, that's a good idea. I guess a slab of meat should be sufficient for more than one piece of bait. :P

Quote from Swampfox
Also, just an unrelated suggestion, i was playing an rpg recently where you moved your dropship to perform actions. Maybe have it so moving your dropship picks up items. Its faster and easier to use since you dont have to click on the templar.
That is an interesting idea, but honestly I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to dropships and like having them full, which is why I chose a unit that takes up 2 spots. I think having that unit be bigger than all the others in the dropship makes it easy enough to click on when wandering around the map.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jun 24 2015, 1:55 am Alzarath Post #7

Praetor

Disclaimer: I played for a good 5 minutes before coming here.

Quote from Dem0n
Yeah, problems 1-3 are a big problem with my spawning system. I've been scrutinizing my triggers trying to figure out what's wrong, but I can't find anything that would make them spawn repeatedly in the same area. For problem 3, I might just need to increase the spawn rate of some of the materials.

Are you spawning the items directly in the world? If so, that's often an issue. A way RP-type maps work around that sort of thing is having a dedicated spawn location where the units are created, then moved elsewhere on the map. If they can't be moved there, nothing happens, including no obnoxious errors, and your triggers are free to try again. Assuming you don't already know all of that, of course.

Quote from Dem0n
5 - There's really no benefit to it over hunting land animals. I just thought it'd be fun to add another thing to do. :P Maybe I'll make fish decrease your hunger more than meat? I dunno.

Alternatively you could add an even lighter, defenseless unit (Broodling?) that represents insects, offers very small amounts of food, and is useable for the bait instead.

As it stands, it seems like you can just swap out damaged tools for effectively infinite health. How about making it so the tools themselves have a small amount of health and, once killed, swap your Survivor back in? I think it'd feel less cheap and offer the concept of durability.

Quote from Dem0n
It is really hard to figure out what goes together currently.

Assuming what I mentioned above is considered, maybe scatter damaged items around the map (even if it means only spawning them once the player has the materials for it, so they can't get too much of a kick start with them)? Picking these up will allow the player to 'inspect' it and tell them what it's made out of.

As for how inspecting could work, I can imagine two different ways of going about that:

Inspect as soon as you pick the item up. This would be the quickest, probably easiest way of doing it. Though it has the disadvantage of not being able to inspect it again in case you forget, and worse, getting bumped off the screen if someone starts chatting it up at a bad time.

Alternatively, you could add an action called 'Inspect'. This would allow you to inspect any single item that's on a beacon and get a short description of it and, if it's a 'combined' item, give the player a hint as to how it's made (For example, telling the player the hammer looks like a rock tied to a stick). It would add more to do (like examining all the crap you find laying around) and negate the above issues. Of course, this would require quite a bit more triggering, especially if you want to add descriptions to all of the items. What's that you say? You don't have any more action slots? Perhaps you could merge the Wield and Unwield actions into a single action. Unless you can wield more than one item at a time, I don't see much point in having the two actions separate.

As a final note, I noticed I'd pick up a rock and something would spawn very close. Perhaps make it so items can't spawn within view of your survivor?

None.

Sep 8 2016, 9:49 am Stranger Post #8

Oooh, so you actually did NOT make the first Wilderness map !

Hah, I thought it was an old map of yours as a beginner mapmaker ages ago, thought that it was cute :lol:

:D

Good map anyway, even though I would have loved if there was a main goal like evacuating the island, building a transport by yourself over the seasons (and if you play with more people, all players contribute with the same construction) etc.

None.

Options
  Back to forum