Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Witcher 3
Witcher 3
May 10 2015, 10:03 am
By: Oh_Man  

May 10 2015, 10:03 am Oh_Man Post #1

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Anyone excited for this game?

May 10 2015, 1:08 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Excited for one of the most anticipated games this year? I guess.

I think the better question is, who has actually managed to make it through the first The Witcher game? I've gotten to Chapter V miraculously, through dedication and perseverance, after about 70 hours of gameplay and skipping a handful of side quests. I don't think I'll be able to make it through for a second playthrough to join the side of the other major faction; it sounds like too much work. Hopefully I can beat the game, and then maybe I'll plug the save file into TW2 and see how it alters the game.

The Witcher 2, on the other hand, is an absolutely fantastic game, with a not-so-great PC port (but you can hook up a controller if you want). I've done multiple playthroughs of it (which is easy and fun to do because there are branching stories and different endings based on decisions you make while playing). Some mechanics are a bit clunky (pressing a button to climb up/down a ledge, for instance), but from the demos I've seen of TW3, it looks like they worked out a lot of those to be more fluid.

I hope The Witcher 3 has the same mechanic from TW2 where you can plug in your old saves when starting new games. I've kept multiple branches from the second game that I could just plug in. I don't know about the whole "36 different endings" claim: I'm willing to bet you make one of 2/2/3/3 choices, and at the end of the game it tells you what happened at those locations based on your decisions. Only a few of those choices will actually change the gameplay ending, and there would only be 4 events that could have different outcomes, but through combinatoric mathematics, they're able to claim it's 36 unique experiences.

But yes, I'm looking forward to it.

May 10 2015, 1:18 pm Oh_Man Post #3

Wow, funnily enough I'm the opposite.

I finished Witcher 1 in 09 or so. Pretty much 100%ed it.

Witcher 2 for some reason I kept getting about half way, then putting it on the backburner for MONTHS. Eventually coming back to it, not remembering WTF was going on, and remaking the game. I quit both times at the dwarf city level.

This happened like two times. Eventually on the third playthrough I was like "SCREW THIS - THIS ENDS NOW" and pushed myself to the end.

For me the biggest downside of Witcher has been the lackluster combat. I'm really hoping 3 steps it up.

Anyone worried about this?
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/35dfcj/witcher_3_what_happened/

May 10 2015, 1:33 pm Roy Post #4

Quote from Oh_Man
Witcher 2 for some reason I kept getting about half way, then putting it on the backburner for MONTHS. Eventually coming back to it, not remembering WTF was going on, and remaking the game. I quit both times at the dwarf city level.
Maybe you should have played the first act differently, then, elf-lover! (Just kidding, I sided with Iorveth the first playthrough as well.)

Not really. Recent gameplay footage of TW3 looks better than it does in those 2015 screenshots. Disappointed, maybe, but not terribly worried about it.

May 10 2015, 1:41 pm Zycorax Post #5

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

I've had both The Witcher 1 and 2 on my Steam account for a couple of years without really playing them for more than half an hour. Tried to play the first one two months ago, but I found the combat system to be absolutely terrible. Just reinstalled the second game to give it another try. It's a game series I really want to like because of all the hype about The Witcher 3.

May 10 2015, 1:45 pm Oh_Man Post #6

Yes I always sided with the elf. I just felt that was the 'right' thing to do.

Sword combat is very difficult to do, I would think, from a programming perspective. It's a lot more complex than a shooter combat system - point, fire. My fav sword combat game is Jedi Academy.

I wish there was a sword fighting game where it's something like, hold left click, drag mouse, release left click - and the character swings the sword in the arc you've 'drawn' with the mouse. In my mind's eye that would be very fluid and fun.

May 10 2015, 2:00 pm Roy Post #7

Quote from Zycorax
I've had both The Witcher 1 and 2 on my Steam account for a couple of years without really playing them for more than half an hour. Tried to play the first one two months ago, but I found the combat system to be absolutely terrible. Just reinstalled the second game to give it another try. It's a game series I really want to like because of all the hype about The Witcher 3.
Protip on TW1: use the Over-The-Shoulder (OTS) camera angle. Made the game maybe five times easier to play for me.

Quote from Oh_Man
Yes I always sided with the elf. I just felt that was the 'right' thing to do.
You should try siding with Roche. It's actually amazing how drastically it changes the game, and you don't feel so bad about it after you see what happens as a result.

May 11 2015, 1:50 am Pr0nogo Post #8

Quote from Oh_Man
I wish there was a sword fighting game where it's something like, hold left click, drag mouse, release left click - and the character swings the sword in the arc you've 'drawn' with the mouse. In my mind's eye that would be very fluid and fun.

While I didn't much enjoy the game myself, Blade Symphony basically does this.

May 14 2015, 1:31 am KrayZee Post #9

I'm getting Witcher 3... even though I did not play the first one, or beat the second one.

May 19 2015, 10:25 am Oh_Man Post #10

Here's today's haul:

Nov 4 2015, 3:55 pm Stranger Post #11

I played and finished all Witcher games (1, 2 and 3) and I loved it. Those games are great.
Well, I still have some exploration and stuff left for the Witcher 3 but didn't find the time to do it.
I also bought the first expansion (Hearts of stone) but haven't played it yet.

^_^ I actually discovered The Witcher not that long ago. Maybe 1 or 2 years ago. I saw a "The Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition" image on Steam and was like : "hey.. Witcher ??? Wtf is that supposed to be ?"
Next I googled it to see what it is look like. It didn't cost much so I bought it and I enjoyed playing it *_*
Then I continued with the second one and saw that they were making a Witcher 3 that looked really nice.

Of course I also read all the novels (while waiting for the Witcher 3), except the 8th one.

None.

Options
  Back to forum