Rank of unit
Feb 28 2015, 12:27 pm
By: Artanis40  

Feb 28 2015, 12:27 pm Artanis40 Post #1

Admiral Gerard DuGalle as unit has "rookie" rank. It's trifle, but not good trifle. As i remember, number of kills in SCBW is not changing unit's rank. How to make admiral admiral?

None.

Feb 28 2015, 4:49 pm NudeRaider Post #2

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

The rank that shows on units does not affect anything nor is it affected by anything. It's just flavor. I imagine you could change it through modding.

Feb 28 2015, 4:58 pm Artanis40 Post #3

I know that it's not affect/affected by anything, but rank "Rookie" for Admiral - it looks very stupid.

None.

Feb 28 2015, 5:08 pm SCRuler Post #4

Actually I think the rank has something to do with unit priority. At the very least I think that the higher rank unit is the one that is making the unit quotes and also appears in the portrait. If you want to change it, its only possible through modding.

None.

Feb 28 2015, 6:01 pm Artanis40 Post #5

Ok, if changing rank is means modding, then how about changing portrait? I read earlier topic about that, but i didn't understand all right.

None.

Feb 28 2015, 6:06 pm Pr0nogo Post #6

Why are you against modding? It's a trivial task to change a unit's rank.

Feb 28 2015, 6:26 pm Artanis40 Post #7

I already resigned -.-

None.

Mar 4 2015, 12:11 am rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/euddb/?pg=entry&addr=0x00663DD0&ver=1.16.1&plat=win

Apparently rank=those units go first?

jjf28 would have to come in here to explain how to modify this address with dEUP, but really at this point you may as well be modding.

http://www.staredit.net/starcraft/List_of_units

This page in the wiki has all the units' ranks along with their unitIDs, so you can figure out who will show up higher than others.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 4 2015, 12:45 am jjf28 Post #9

Cartography Artisan

Quote from rockz
jjf28 would have to come in here to explain how to modify this address with dEUP

- dEUPs should not be used in real maps to fix a single trifle (the cost of the setup is fairly high)

Dat Edit is infeasible

Edit: on second thought if you edited pre-placed unit's ranks this would be quite doable, I was thinking in terms of dat edits

Code
/*0x08E*/ u8          rankIncrease;         // Adds this value to the unit's base rank

Quote from rockz
but really at this point you may as well be modding.
Depends on your target audience :)

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Mar 4 2015, 1:34 am SCRuler Post #10

Wait, are you saying there's a function for increasing rank? That might be fascinatingly useful for Regular SC.

None.

Mar 4 2015, 2:20 pm rockz Post #11

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

What the hell is that doing in SC? I always assumed rank was a hidden value for all units of that type. Didn't realize you could promote a single unit. I may have to pull up SC to test...

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Mar 4 2015, 7:33 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #12

👻 👾 👽 💪

It's probably just a mechanic that was never fully implemented.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 4 2015, 8:26 pm SCRuler Post #13

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
You're right, given how Jimmy, Norad II, and Gantrithor have their own special rank. It'd look silly.

None.

Mar 4 2015, 9:14 pm Moose Post #14

We live in a society.

Quote from rockz
What the hell is that doing in SC? I always assumed rank was a hidden value for all units of that type. Didn't realize you could promote a single unit. I may have to pull up SC to test...
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
I remember seeing a mod quite a number of years ago where Marines got promoted once they reached a certain number of kills.

Options
  Back to forum