Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Hyperion 2 V.8 Protoss Extension
Hyperion 2 V.8 Protoss Extension
Dec 21 2014, 4:37 pm
By: zsnakezz  

Dec 21 2014, 4:37 pm zsnakezz Post #1

So I spent a crud load of time this past week to create this map. I have not made maps in many a year, and this was my work of passion after many years.

Basically you survive an invasion for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes rescue arrives, Hyperion 2; a world class ship, it is your mission to get at least one of your units to it before it is destroyed by the Protoss and Zerg army.

I personally played this many many many times. Hours upon hours of work, tuning, and adding different ways to make money, and to balance pretty much every unit in the game.

~*Chapter 1 story*~

You are a small Terran colony that has come under heavy fire. Hyperion 2 receives you distress signal, but it needs time to charge its shields before it can breach your planets atmosphere.

You must brave the invasion before Hyperion 2 can arrive, and reach it before it may be destroyed. Even though Hyperion 2 is a sturdy and powerful vessel, and can put up a fight, it can still be destroyed.

Which in my average playthrough, Hyperion could die anywhere from 8 to 15 minutes after it arrives, I've modified and tweaked Hyperion and that event many times to make the ship survive a bit longer.

There is a large portion in the beginning that will give you a bunch of info, read this to learn about the different bounties, and how to make money throughout. I wrote it in a weird code like language for added fun.

~*Here are some gameplay details*~

-Build a defense to protect your base from invasion.
-Your base is already built at the top of the map, all units and upgrades have been tuned and modified to follow the flow of the map.

-Defeat waves and bosses and collect bounties for surviving and killing special monsters, and special monster groups.

-There is a list of monsters that if you kill a certain number of them, they will die forever. (cant be made by enemies anymore)
These include 2-Arbiters, 3-Defilers, 3-Queens, and 3-High Templar.

I realized the player needed better ways to reach the ship in time, these units were specifically making the job almost entirely possible, so I gave you guys a challenging yet rewarding way of getting rid of them.

-There is a HUGE list of bounties that I made, ex: Kill certain number of units, get rewarded with resources and hero's. You don't mine minerals or anything like that, most of your money comes from killing enemies.

-The "Major Economy" gives you a constant stream of resources as you play, though this stream is constantly being complimented by bounty rewards. This is the replacement to mining for your resources.

What is new with V.8 Protoss Extension?
+ You can now stack Photon Cannons to defend your base.
+ 5 New Protoss oriented waves of enemies.
+ Updated original enemy waves.
+ 6 New Protoss uber bosses
+ Over 3000 in new bounty rewards
+ Added over 10 Protoss bounty rewards.
+ Added "Yellow Submarine" unit. (Caution, these are set to destroy any building they touch.)
+ 4 New hero types that spawn when completing objectives (Special Ops Templar)
+ Game time has been extended by 5 minutes. From 25, to 30 minutes.
+ First enemy wave now comes 1 minute sooner.
+ Battle Cruisers and Goliath's have been buffed several times.
+ Photon Cannon's have been buffed.
+ 4 Boundaries have been added to the map, that spawn enemies when passed through.
+ Upgrades and several units have received price and build time balancing.
+ Uber Wave has been added.
+ There are now 3 ways to get the Special Ops Mother Ship instead of one. (You can have 3 OP battlecruisers now!)
+ Reworked and more slender gameplay space.
+ Hyperion 2 can now survive longer.
~ Photon Cannons are a gas sink, build with care.
+ Major Economy has been updated.
+ Lights On and off Switch has been Fixed!
+ More complex and efficient location and trigger systems.
~ Some locations have been moved/ created, many triggers have been modified or fixed.
+ Income system has been completely changed and been revamped.
~ Some common and semi common enemies now give individual reward upon death.
+ Passive (Small) waves of enemies are now more common.
~ Passive waves normally die right away, and do little structural damage. So this change is for an economic benefit to you only.
~ If passive waves are more frequent, it is harder to use the light switch. Be cautious.
+ New Sound Effects have been added to signal major waves.
~ This will help you plan stacking your cannons and what have you.
+ Metal Slugs are now more common.
~ Metal Slug info below.
+ Zealots and Dragoons have both been buffed.
~ Were originally greatly nerfed, thought it was time to dial the nerf back a little.
- Still Balancing the barriers.
- Still Balancing Uber Wave.
- Fixing some map systems and events.
- There are some bugs making enemy waves spawn more than once, this leads to difficulties while balancing. Gameplay experiences have variety.
- I may or may not create "Items" that drop when completing certain bounty rewards/ killing uber bosses. This may or may not be added with this release.

WARNING:
Yellow Submarines are not to be taken lightly, if you see a carrier mysteriously looming towards your defenses unlike normal carriers,
be sure to take it down before it rips a hole in you defenses. There are about 4 that spawn.
HINT:
End game, Battle Cruisers are the most overpowered unit in the game when fully upgraded. + 4 dmg per upgrade, 8 def full upgraded.
They are your best bet when trying to make your way to Hyperion 2. Ship upgrades are however the most expensive upgrades in this map.

"Hello I am a Yellow Submarine and I like to ram through your base and destroy everything"

Metal Slugs blow up from contact with any unit, but move slow and can be killed from a distance.
Sometimes they manage to lumber close to your base and they take out a bunker, or perhaps an
entire fleet of battle cruisers. Yellow Submarines can only kill buildings, but don't die on impact,
Metal Slugs kill everything, but die in the process.

V.8 is the biggest, most MASSIVE update I've made to this map, and will probably be the biggest there will be.
Tons of stuff has been added, fixed, tweeked, reworked.

Coming This Christmas.

Link to Version 8 Download Page: http://www.staredit.net/topic/16630/

~*Attention*~
This map is full functioning, meaning all the gameplay I intend to be in the map, is there and it works. However, there are some cosmetic things that I have yet to work on in terms of whatever. Doing that will take some time, and I will be fixing those things in the near future.

Please enjoy Hyperion 2, it is rather fun.

~*Future Changes*~
Yo mama.

Post has been edited 16 time(s), last time on Dec 25 2014, 5:20 am by zsnakezz.

I made the following maps; Hyperion 2, The Undead, The Undead Coop, Realm Rpg beta, and Overlords.

Dec 21 2014, 4:42 pm zsnakezz Post #2

V.8 Info Graphics and gameplay information coming soon.

I made the following maps; Hyperion 2, The Undead, The Undead Coop, Realm Rpg beta, and Overlords.

Dec 23 2014, 3:50 am zsnakezz Post #3

Updated with info graphics + more info.

Options
  Back to forum