Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Hardware benchmarks
Hardware benchmarks
Oct 26 2014, 3:31 pm
By: NudeRaider  

Oct 26 2014, 3:31 pm NudeRaider Post #1

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I stumbled across an interesting website: http://www.userbenchmark.com

The site is basically a big database of benchmarks that visualizes and relates the data in a pretty useful and interesting way (imo).
Users can download a small .exe that benchmarks the most important aspects of your computer (no registration): CPU, GPU and drives. The result is automatically and anonymously uploaded and immediately accessible for every visitor of the site.

The value I see here is that you have a standardized test (the .exe) for a really wide range of hardware. Something quality review sites can only offer in a limited fashion. I just used it for finding a cheap SSD that isn't god-awful. So hopefully it'll be useful for someone else looking for new hardware, too.

The other obvious use is comparing your epeen with that of your friends. So here you go: This is my current system.
It's interesting to see that there's only one benchmark using my platform (Asrock Z68 Pro3) is overall faster than mine. And even overall I'm not that bad off, considering my hardware is 2 generations behind.
So it's safe to say my system aged well and this is why I want to thank SEN (rockz and Ex in particular) taking the time helping me create this build and educating me along the way.

That being said I'd be interested in your benchmarks. Let the comparisons begin! :w00t:

Oct 27 2014, 1:01 am Apos Post #2

I order you to forgive yourself!

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/76521

Makes it look like a crappy laptop :hurr:

Oct 27 2014, 3:50 am BloodyZombie117 Post #3

I have no idea what to put here... So I guess I'll just put this here.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/76559
I just need a better graphics card. Would upgrade, but I just got another job after losing my last one, and if I didn't have student loans to pay back.
I'm looking to get either a GTX 690 or a GTX 980. (Leaning more towards a 980 because of the price... Turns out you can get one for $570, whereas the 690 is $550) Eventually my dream will come true.

Oh and thanks for this discovery. This tool is nice to tell which part of your PC you really need to upgrade next, and find good parts to use as well.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 27 2014, 4:02 am by BloodyZombie117.

Oct 27 2014, 4:13 am rockz Post #4

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

21 days of uptime and old drivers means a 7870 outperforms a 7950. Fun times.
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/76561

Very disappointed in my raid though. I thought for sure I was getting 140 MB/s, not 50 MB/s.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 27 2014, 11:38 am NudeRaider Post #5

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from rockz
21 days of uptime and old drivers means a 7870 outperforms a 7950. Fun times.
That's because I basically have a 7950. My card has the Thaiti LE chip and is overclocked.
Quote from rockz
Very disappointed in my raid though. I thought for sure I was getting 140 MB/s, not 50 MB/s.
True. And that's why I find that site interesting. The graph shows you that you're on the lower end of that drive's performance spectrum, which means it's not performing optimally. Not sure what you could do about it though. Perhaps it's actually reading files so fragmentation plays into it?
What are other benchmark tools saying?

Oct 27 2014, 11:49 pm Excalibur Post #6

The sword and the faith

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/76964

Pretty happy. Still thinking about doing an X99 rebuild with a 12 core.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Oct 28 2014, 1:17 am NudeRaider Post #7

Interesting. Your performance health of the HDDs is pretty bad too, whereas the brand new SSD performs commendably.
That and the other samples from this thread seem to support my theory that the HDD benchmarks are actually writing and reading files. Also I found a folder "userbenchmark" with a 100MB file on each of my drives. So I guess if you guys want to improve your HDD ratings (and more importantly, their real world speed!) you'll have to clear up some 100-200 GB and run a defrag.

Quote from Excalibur
How about you start with overclocking your current CPU first? :P

On another note I'm a little concerned about these SMART values from your SSD, Ex, especially since you bought it just a couple weeks ago:
(CA) Data Address Mark errors 98 98 2
(01) Raw read error rate 100 100 2
(C4) Reallocation count 100 100 16
Any idea what's up with that?

Also, since when no Samsung SSD? :D You used to be the most stalwart defender of their drives.

Oct 29 2014, 2:59 am rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

hddtune says 80 MB/s average. pretty terrible for 2 drives. I hope it's not in an error condition or something.

I need to clean up and reinstall anyway, it's just so much effort and my computer is already so ridiculously fast that I don't care that much.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 29 2014, 11:16 pm Excalibur Post #9

The sword and the faith

Quote from NudeRaider
Interesting. Your performance health of the HDDs is pretty bad too, whereas the brand new SSD performs commendably.
That and the other samples from this thread seem to support my theory that the HDD benchmarks are actually writing and reading files. Also I found a folder "userbenchmark" with a 100MB file on each of my drives. So I guess if you guys want to improve your HDD ratings (and more importantly, their real world speed!) you'll have to clear up some 100-200 GB and run a defrag.

Quote from Excalibur
How about you start with overclocking your current CPU first? :P

On another note I'm a little concerned about these SMART values from your SSD, Ex, especially since you bought it just a couple weeks ago:
(CA) Data Address Mark errors 98 98 2
(01) Raw read error rate 100 100 2
(C4) Reallocation count 100 100 16
Any idea what's up with that?

Also, since when no Samsung SSD? :D You used to be the most stalwart defender of their drives.
Actually I bought this drive over 6 months ago. The Crucial I bought was well reviewed and I got a very good deal on it. I also bought it before acquiring my current job where I now make about three times what I was previously.

I'm planning a RAID0 of 1TB Samsung Pro SSDs to go along with my X99 upgrade. But I have a trip to plan for as well thats going to be quite costly.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 1 2014, 7:06 pm Roy Post #10

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Just ran this a couple times on a cold boot after upgrading my SSD's firmware. It's neat that the program/site keeps track of your runs without having to make an account or anything.

UserBenchmark PC Test Results
Overall Health: 58% - Almost good. Overall Speed: 106% - Destroyer.
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K - Health 66%, Speed 102.2%.
HDD: WD Green 2TB (2011) - Health 91%, Speed 85.4%.
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 1TB - Health 8%, Speed 87%.
GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 - Health 68%, Speed 107.4%.

Everything looks good except the 840 EVO. Also apparently it doesn't recognize Windows 10, but knows it's a newer version of Windows. Hmm, what to do, what to do.

Nov 1 2014, 11:44 pm Generalpie Post #11

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from Apos
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/76521

Makes it look like a crappy laptop :hurr:
I have a Dv7, and it *was* a crappy laptop :P

None.

Options
  Back to forum