Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The Thing Twilight
The Thing Twilight
Oct 18 2014, 7:03 pm
By: FlameViper  

Oct 18 2014, 7:03 pm FlameViper Post #1

http://www.speedyshare.com/N93RB/The-Thing-Twilight.scm

I need help, and you're it SEN.

Normally I should have completed this map in just 10 days, but due to inexperience I ended up into mechanic problems such as extended players, ally/re-ally, vision, randomizing, switching units, etc. So far my pre-thought abilities seem far easier to implement than figuring out custom mechanics specific to my map's needs.

I figured out some of them by getting inspired from your past suggestions, but eventually I got stuck at switching units and especially allying/reallying, which I can't manage to figure out on my own because my map system is too different compared to the general contextless systems. I marked them with large comments in group P1-8 to let you know where they are.

I suggest you create a copy right before you attempt triggering or adding text. This is a map which recently got corrupted and I got lucky to have a slightly earlier version that works.

Map specifications:
Players
Recommended 5 players, but supports up to 8 players.
Map Tileset
Twilight
Map Size
96x128

FEATURES
You have a few options before starting the game;
You can select if you want a chance at being The Thing or stick with Survivor.
Add/substract minutes to the timer(currently set to 15 minutes)
Sudden Death. Your gas counter lowers when you're not standing next to a marine(currently set to 50 seconds)
(The Thing is unaffected and when your ally dies by lack of gas then he turns into a zergling)
Alternate forms. The Thing can change between a zergling hero, an infested kerrigan and mutalisk hero(with a 4 minute cooldown before changing again), each with their own supposed playstyle.
The Kukulza has low health, but a lot of armor, making it's regeneration fast, but doesn't deal as much damage as the zergling. The infested kerrigan has next to no regeneration capabilities and is very slow compared to a stimmed up raynor. She tries to make up for it with high damage, storm, esnare,
Devouring One, doesn't regenerate as fast as the mutalisk, but deals more damage and is actually faster.

When the timer reaches 0 then you have to rescue your survivor with the helicopter and then engage in battle with The Thing's final form which gets weakened/stronger depeneding on how many players are left to battle it. Most of your abilities for this one will be automated, all you'll have to do is micro. The Thing's final form abilities are also automated, but he will have to build units for stronger versions of the same attacks.

You'll be using a barracks to build units for spells. The spell units all cost 0 because they detect the mineral costs via triggers(accumulate and substract).
The switching for The Thing and the inventory is done without having to look where you click.
The abilities will be what constitutes most of the gameplay.

THE THING abilities
Kidnapping - While The Thing is running then 1 survivor next to him will be moved together with The Thing. Lasts only a few seconds. (was thinking of using an inverted location for this one)
Swarm - Summon a swarm from the defiler, can use 2 defilers(the defiler can be killed)
Displacement - If the players ball together then the phantom/the thing can relocate their locations.
Blind - Causes blindness to the players, in the process it also warps them to different locations.
Infest - The Thing can stay near the players for about 1 minute and then infect them without the survivors knowing, then the thing can activate the detonator to turn them into zerglings(twilight hounds).
Warp impersonate - If the The Thing is being chased by a group of survivors then The Thing can smoothly warp a player to replace him, impersonating him. Effectively making the other players chase their own ally.
Hallucination - spawns a hallucinated zergling(twilight hound) to freak out the player. Causes sound effects for the player. (I was thinking of turning one of the survivors into a fake The Thing for a limited time and getting them to kill one another)
Hallucination(super weapons). The advanced version summons it right next to the player and instead it's an ultralisk.
Crows/Mutalisks - Used for scouting and distracting the player. Capable of dealing damage.

SURVIVORS abilities.
Survivors can heal only a small amount of health by using a medic with low energy. For more health they require a number of medic kits.
Restoration(needs medikit) - Cures the player of blindness or accidental plague.
Acid bomb - Spawns a defiler(hero) with plague to use on The Thing. The Thing's health is low so it's very effective.(but not effective against infs. kerrigan) Careful not to splash yourself.
Defensive matrix. Exactly what it says.
Escape - Teleports to a random location which is away from The Thing(Uses: 2, before a cooldown of 6 minutes)
Exo-suit. Dump 500 minerals into this and you get a high-stats Goliath(once). The advantage is that you don't lose the game if the goliath dies.

Attachments:
The Thing Twilight.scm
Hits: 1 Size: 103kb

None.

Options
  Back to forum