Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Upgrading Over Time
Upgrading Over Time
Oct 17 2014, 1:32 pm
By: Generalpie  

Oct 17 2014, 1:32 pm Generalpie Post #1

Staredit Puckwork

This is in relation to my first topic, and I guess builds off of that.
Current computer:
CPU: AMD FX-8100 (Overclocked to 3.8 GHz)
Mobo: MSI 760GM-P34 (FX)
GPU: MSI R7750-PMD2GD3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
PSU: 430W Bronze
Storage:
- SSD: SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB (SATA III)
- HDD: HSGT 4TB HDD (SATA III)
Extra Peripherals:
Diamond XS7.1DDL (PCI)
5 Port USB 3.0 Card (PCIe x1) (Powered by Molex)
PCIe 1x Riser Cable (Connected to USB 3.0 Card)

USB Peripherals:
Mouse: Razer Naga Epic (Dock)
Keyboard: Razer Anansi (2 Ports)
Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force Tango
Turtle Beach Tango Transmitter Tower
Razer Nostromo
Logitech Freedom Flight Stick
Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter
IO Gear Bluetooth Adapter

Spare Components:
GPU: MSI R7750-PMD2GD3
HDD: WD Black 500GB (Supports SATA III)
7 Port USB 2.0 Card (PCI)

I listed my USB devices because I'm unsure of how USB power consumption "works"
I had issues where my Naga Dock wouldn't charge my mouse, and after moving the USB cable to the powered USB 3.0 card and re installing Windows, I find that it charges my mouse as it should.
Additionally, I was thinking of switching over to an Intel build at some point in the future and getting the fancy new Broadwell processors if they were a worthy upgrade, but I'm unsure if I should be focusing on upgrading other parts of my build first, such as the GPU, PSU, or RAM. If I stick with AMD, I will probably need to get a new motherboard, preferably with more expansion slots, USB ports and a TOSLINK port to make use of my transmitter tower for my headset (That's the only reason I have that sound card).
I kinda want to slow upgrade over the course of maybe 8 months, but I'm not a very good planner, nor do I know how to build computers that well.
My current course of upgrading:
1. PSU
2. GPU
3. Mobo + CPU: TBD

None.

Oct 17 2014, 2:41 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

I don't think your current system really draws much power at all. The GPU is usually the power hog, followed by the CPU and mobo. If you're having power issues, maybe your PSU is just dying, or for some reason cannot handle its rated load.

Quick picks for PSU, depending on how much you want to spend (including obligatory El Cheapo option, which would only work if you went with say a Maxwell card instead of AMD's flagship):

$27: Corsair Builder CX500 (500W)
  • Popular PSU, lots of reviews, mostly positive
  • Slight power bump from what you have, with bronze efficiency
  • Not modular
  • CWT is the OEM (the one Corsair almost exclusively uses, not known for quality manufacturing, or maybe they are for their higher-end models, I dunno. It's worth noting that the PSU you picked is probably Corsair's best PSU in terms of build quality)

$45: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX (750W)
  • Relatively new, mostly positive reviews
  • Tons of power, more than you need, bronze efficiency
  • Semi-modular
  • FSP is the OEM (generally known for above-average or below-average quality manufacturing: it varies between models)

$90: XFX XTR (650W)
  • Lesser-known brand name, but the brand just amounts to the decals on the side of the box
  • Enough power for almost any single-GPU system, gold efficiency
  • Full modular
  • SeaSonic is the OEM (known as one of the best PSU manufacturers)

For the GPU, I'd probably wait until the GTX 960 and new AMD cards are launched (Q1 2015 timeline). The 960 will likely be the GPU I'd recommend in general, but it's also around the same time AMD will be announcing their new cards, meaning the price for mid-tier cards in general will drop.

Broadwell is a tech that I'm excitedly waiting for as well (Q2 2015 timeline). If your motherboard and CPU are serving you fine for now, I'd definitely wait for next year.

Oh, I just noticed you're willing to drop $116 on a new PSU. Maybe give this one a look:

$117: SeaSonic X660 (660W)
  • SeaSonic, 'nuff said
  • Gold efficiency
  • Full modular
  • SeaSonic is the OEM (obviously)

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 18 2014, 11:12 pm by Roy.

Oct 18 2014, 1:03 am Generalpie Post #3

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from Roy
I don't think your current system really draws much power at all. The GPU is usually the power hog, followed by the CPU and mobo. If you're having power issues, maybe your PSU is just dying, or for some reason cannot handle its rated load.

Quick picks for PSU, depending on how much you want to spend (including obligatory El Cheapo option, which would only work if you went with say a Maxwell card instead of AMD's flagship):

$27: Corsair Builder CX500 (500W)
  • Popular PSU, lots of reviews, mostly positive
  • Slight power bump from what you have, with bronze efficiency
  • Not modular
  • CWT is the OEM (the one Corsair almost exclusively uses, not known for quality manufacturing, or maybe they are for their higher-end models, I dunno. It's worth noting that the PSU you picked is probably Corsair's best PSU in terms of build quality)

$45: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX (750W)
  • Relatively new, mostly positive reviews
  • Tons of power, more than you need, bronze efficiency
  • Semi-modular
  • FSP is the OEM (generally known for above-average quality manufacturing, but it varies between models)

$90: XFX XTR (650W)
  • Lesser-known brand name, but the brand just amounts to the decals on the side of the box
  • Enough power for almost any single-GPU system, gold efficiency
  • Full modular
  • SeaSonic is the OEM (known as one of the best PSU manufacturers)

For the GPU, I'd probably wait until the GTX 960 and new AMD cards are launched (Q1 2015 timeline). The 960 will likely be the GPU I'd recommend in general, but it's also around the same time AMD will be announcing their new cards, meaning the price for mid-tier cards in general will drop.

Broadwell is a tech that I'm excitedly waiting for as well (Q2 2015 timeline). If your motherboard and CPU are serving you fine for now, I'd definitely wait for next year.

Oh, I just noticed you're willing to drop $116 on a new PSU. Maybe give this one a look:

$117: SeaSonic X660 (660W)
  • SeaSonic, 'nuff said
  • Gold efficiency
  • Full modular
  • SeaSonic is the OEM (obviously)

I'm going to lean towards the XFX as they're pretty much the same wattage and both are gold efficiency. In the future after the processor and mobo, I was planning on getting a dual GPU and Dual SSD set up. Also, is there going to be a point in after market cooling in the future, or is stock cooling going to be sufficient?

I was going to update the list, but really, everything besides the PSU is in wait and see mode :P

None.

Oct 18 2014, 10:17 am sigsaucy Post #4

i dont know much bout nothing but apparently after broadwell, skylarke is coming out quite soon, so maybe wait for that?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2683392/pc-confusion-to-linger-on-intels-quick-jump-to-skylake.html

Oct 18 2014, 10:43 am NudeRaider Post #5

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

IIRC you're in Germany, right? In that case you can get quality made in Germany, a be quiet!, for cheap.
Currently my recommendation would be the Pure Power L8 530W CM for € 59,87 (free shipping, at least at the moment).
It's got really good electrical properties (multirail design) is modular and quieter than any PSU you've ever had. Only downside is that it has only 2x 6+2 PCIe Connectors for video cards. So you have limited options for a multi GPU scenario.
But multi GPU setups are not recommended anyways. Single card builds always have a better price/performance ratio, unless you are reusing an old card. Those setups are also prone to micro stuttering so unless you are aiming for UHD gaming and need that much performance you better stay away from it.
As for which card to get: Whatever you can get on sale in your price range. Usually you get what you pay for.

For gaming there's not much need to upgrade your CPU. Most games are limited by GPU performance. Especially given that you need a new mobo, possibly new RAM which makes this a really expensive upgrade with little effect.

Oct 18 2014, 9:47 pm Roy Post #6

It's worth noting that this EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W (gold, modular) just recently got a rebate deal put on it, making it $60 after rebate.

If you're going to buy from Newegg anytime soon, there's currently a site-wide promotion called Visa Checkout, where you can get 10% off your purchase.

Oct 18 2014, 10:00 pm Generalpie Post #7

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from Roy
It's worth noting that this EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W (gold, modular) just recently got a rebate deal put on it, making it $60 after rebate.

If you're going to buy from Newegg anytime soon, there's currently a site-wide promotion called Visa Checkout, where you can get 10% off your purchase.
Sold. I use VISA Checkout on a regular basis.
Thanks, Roy :roy:
Came out to $51 because the rebate isn't taken into account with the 10% off, so it was $9 off. No shipping charge because I'm a premier member.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 19 2014, 9:57 am by Generalpie.

None.

Oct 23 2014, 4:17 am rockz Post #8

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Just FYI, that supernova NEX is not 80+ certified yet. It's made by FSP (top tier manufacturer).
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=1295&type=2
I have no doubt in EVGA that their product will eventually be 80+ certified however. It would suck for them if it only got silver certified though.

The vastly superior model (made by super flower, one of the best, if not the best PSU manufacturer) is actually 80+, and the price difference is obvious.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

What's the actual difference? hell if I know. The G2 has the lowest ripple I've ever seen ever though. 15 mV is laughable it's so good. The G1 likely uses some cheaper caps from not Chemi-con and forgoes some of the fancy features like caps in the cables. Who knows. It hasn't been out long enough for a decent review.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm

On a side note, these johnnyguru reviews are hilarious (and one of the best review sites out there).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 23 2014, 1:14 pm Roy Post #9

Quote from rockz
I have no doubt in EVGA that their product will eventually be 80+ certified however. It would suck for them if it only got silver certified though.
I'm not really concerned that they'll not get the gold certification, but EVGA already has a blemish on their record for a gold-certified PSU not actually achieving its rated efficiency. But that's probably going to amount to cents annually if it's even an issue.

Quote from rockz
On a side note, these johnnyguru reviews are hilarious (and one of the best review sites out there).
On this note, what sites do you recommend for PSU reviews? I've mostly been looking at RealHardTechX (at a glance, just to check the OEM) and HardOCP, but it'd be nice to know of more (especially considering the limited reviews for the latter site).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 23 2014, 1:19 pm by Roy.

Oct 26 2014, 5:38 am rockz Post #10

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from Roy
On this note, what sites do you recommend for PSU reviews? I've mostly been looking at RealHardTechX (at a glance, just to check the OEM) and HardOCP, but it'd be nice to know of more (especially considering the limited reviews for the latter site).
RealHardTechX has a database of all good reviews. It's by far and away the best place to look. JohnnyGuru and Hardware Secrets also do a great job, but they're already included in RealHardTechX.

I highly recommend Hardware Secrets informational guides:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Why-99-Percent-of-Power-Supply-Reviews-Are-Wrong/410
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/anatomy-of-switching-power-supplies/327

Unfortunately review sites usually don't do things for a negative cost (ie go out and buy cheap PSUs). Most are sent to the review sites by the retailers, which means it's high end stuff that 95% of self/custom builders shouldn't buy since they only have 1 graphics card.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Options
  Back to forum