Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: a few modding issues
a few modding issues
May 21 2014, 9:09 pm
By: iskelion  

May 21 2014, 9:09 pm iskelion Post #1

hi, i have played brood war for some time now, and decided to make a mod (change a few mechanics and add units), because im playing with other 2 friends (you guessed right, each one of us uses a different race), so i can test the balance of a mod and such with no problem, and also to help spice up the game
i have a few questions about broodwar modding: using mainly datedit 1.5, icecc and firegraft .93

1- avoid crashed while adding a scripts\iscript.bin and rez\stat_txt.tlb to the same .mpq (they work fine while used separated, but when use together, hovering my mouse over the "train unit" button crashes the game)

2-how to make a nonworker unit to build (or preferable summon via spell) a building. i got to the point in which i had the building in said unit button set, i could click it, see the building preview, but when i click it to begin construction, the unit wouldn't build it

3- im trying to make a building that generates an addon, thing it does, but when i destroy the original building, the game crashes if it has the addon

4- is it possible to hatch 3 units from an egg?

5- is it possible to make units to shoot from a transport ? (i wanted to make a (flying bunker but that wasn't going to happen)

6- im trying to make a turret (zerg) that works like the carrier, when i add "can produce subunits" in the button that is supposed to produce them, ingame it loses the button, if i take away "can produce subunits", the button shows ingame but does nothing

7-making a unit morph, i edited the buttons and such, and even if i try it with a unit that already morphs into other thing (hydralisk for example), it's still unable to (although i would like it to work with a unit that doesn't morph in the normal game)

thanks in advance

None.

May 22 2014, 2:44 am Sand Wraith Post #2

she/her

1) The problem almost certainly is in stat_txt.tbl. Make sure the string is correctly formed to the standard (i.e. let it mimic the format of an existing, non-crashing "train unit" text entry).

If that fails, there is a potential for two problems: *.tbl corruption and something you did with an "Init" image script.

2) Not sure, sorry. Does the unit move to the building site? Or when you "place" the building down for construction, the unit does not respond at all?

3) Might have something to do with a non-existent script being called. Check the parent building and the add-on, and compare their scripts to working parent+addon pairs.

4) Not as far as I know. Plugins would be your best bet (possibly trigger manipulation via plugins, or directly creating a unit -- not sure how that works, ask on http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/ ).

5) It is pretty hard-coded. Plugins would be your only option. Additionally, through plugins, there is the potential of looping through the normal Bunker's "loaded units list" and updating their locations to be that of the Bunker's current location every frame (not sure if this would work, ask on BWAI).

6) No idea. Carrier is pretty hard-coded. Plugins are your best bet.

7) Might have something to do with sigorder in the scripts. Compare the morphing units (both original and morphed) and look for sigorder changes in the relevant animations. I remember seeing that this would require plugins, though.

May 22 2014, 1:30 pm iskelion Post #3

thanks for the response SW
Quote from Sand Wraith
1) The problem almost certainly is in stat_txt.tbl. Make sure the string is correctly formed to the standard (i.e. let it mimic the format of an existing, non-crashing "train unit" text entry).If that fails, there is a potential for two problems: *.tbl corruption and something you did with an "Init" image script.
the thing is, when i use the .tbl without the .bin (and vice versa) it works fine (the only thing i modified in the .bin so far is making the unit attack in volleys)
2) Not sure, sorry. Does the unit move to the building site? Or when you "place" the building down for construction, the unit does not respond at all?
it doesn't respond at all
3) Might have something to do with a non-existent script being called. Check the parent building and the add-on, and compare their scripts to working parent+addon pairs.
is that related to the "exe edit" or "dat requirements" ? i know how to edit them inside firegraft, but im not quite sure of how to add new ones
4) Not as far as I know. Plugins would be your best bet (possibly trigger manipulation via plugins, or directly creating a unit -- not sure how that works, ask on http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/ ).
5) It is pretty hard-coded. Plugins would be your only option. Additionally, through plugins, there is the potential of looping through the normal Bunker's "loaded units list" and updating their locations to be that of the Bunker's current location every frame (not sure if this would work, ask on BWAI).
6) No idea. Carrier is pretty hard-coded. Plugins are your best bet.
i have no idea of how to handle plugins :-( , would you know of any tutorial or have a quick explanation if it isn't much trouble?
7) Might have something to do with sigorder in the scripts. Compare the morphing units (both original and morphed) and look for sigorder changes in the relevant animations. I remember seeing that this would require plugins, though.
i saw sigorder somewhere in units txt from the .bin, but im not quite sure of what it does. i saw you posted a guide about this here so ill check it out. (EDIT: we are back to the "plug in" problem :S)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 22 2014, 1:48 pm by iskelion.

None.

May 23 2014, 3:38 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #4

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from iskelion
is that related to the "exe edit" or "dat requirements" ? i know how to edit them inside firegraft, but im not quite sure of how to add new ones
icecc/iscript. Make sure that your modified building and addon have all of the scripts present that an existing pair has in the header.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

May 23 2014, 4:04 am Sand Wraith Post #5

she/her

1) The problem still probably lies in the training string for the unit. Is the crash-on-hover constrained to only one unit? If so, check that unit's training string and resource requirements, race flags, etc. in units.dat as well.

2) No idea. Check if the race flags of the builder and the building match? Worker flags? I would have to investigate this on my own. Maybe check here: http://www.modcrafters.com/wiki/

4-6) Yeah you're basically on your own with that, unfortunately. BWAI forums are great for plugin knowledge though. Try looking at threads on the forum at http://www.modcrafters.com/ too (the forum is largely dead is up largely for archival purposes AFAIK).

7) Try this: http://www.moddb.com/games/starcraft/tutorials/unit-morph-for-all-units . You will need a plugin. Again, you are basically on your own with this one, unless you go to the BWAI forum. (Seriously, do that: they are very helpful for plugin things, I am certain.)

---

To be frank, the active population of the modding community on SEN can probably be counted on one hand. The "old" modders (I include myself in that set) tend to be very experienced and we will answer to the best of our ability, but plugins are basically the latest frontier in SCBW modding and by the time they were introduced, much of the modding community had dissipated.

May 23 2014, 12:25 pm iskelion Post #6

ok thanks.
i realize that much of the modding community died of or migrated to sc2, but i like sc1 better, plus the fact you can't really make a mod for sc2, game that got a lot of things wrong that it shouldn't have

None.

Options
  Back to forum