Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: How fast can you read?
How fast can you read?
Feb 24 2014, 6:03 am
By: Apos  

Feb 25 2014, 3:58 pm Generalpie Post #21

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from payne
GeneralPie... how in hell?!
I thought reading a book the night before an assignment is what everyone meant by "doing a report the night before"

Quote from LoveLess
It's called speed reading, what you do is remove the useless words like a, the, and, or, etc. You pretty much blur the sentences together and it's more like looking at an image, than reading the words one by one. You were never taught speed reading?

It's a bit more than that; you can learn to identify words using the first and last letters, the length of the word, and the "shape" of the word. If you know how an author writes, you can get a feel for his writing style and learn to ignore words that other authors use in a useful manner, but the way he uses in a useless manner. That part kind of hard to explain.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 25 2014, 7:48 pm by Generalpie.

None.

Feb 26 2014, 11:20 pm Lanthanide Post #22

Apparently I got 457 words per minute, which I think is bullshit, because I'm quite a slow reader. That is apparently 83% faster than the 'national' average, which I guess must be including poorly educated people.

Would be better to see an average that only included those who graduated high school.

None.

Feb 27 2014, 4:39 am Fire_Kame Post #23

wth is starcraft

I think 90% of the speed I read has to do with context. Logically in fiction, if a man approaches a door he will either open it and enter he will not. A sentence in the first paragraph will tell me he has approached the door and then the next paragraph will give me clues as to whether he went through it or waited, so I don't need to finish the pervious paragraph. Non fiction can be harder to build context - such as procedures - but these are usually more precise in nature, so it is more easily justified to read everything carefully.

I wouldn't call this speed reading. I just know I get really bored if I read things too slowly, and I get really frustrated when correspondents or procedures are too wordy.

Feb 28 2014, 12:09 am Sand Wraith Post #24

she/her

correspondents or procedures? wat? define

I got 351 wpm. Depends on the book though -- sometimes a book will get a little too intense and my brain will start jumping to hypothetical, non-book material.

Feb 28 2014, 12:10 am Fire_Kame Post #25

wth is starcraft

Instructions, training materials, write ups of a technical nature, etc.

Feb 28 2014, 3:06 am lil-Inferno Post #26

Just here for the pie

I got 700 on the money. The trick for me is to literally read between the lines and not read with my internal monologue.

Feb 28 2014, 4:24 am Apos Post #27

I order you to forgive yourself!

You guys are crazy!

Sometimes, I'm able to read diagonally, and that's quite fast, but that depends mostly on the type of text.

Options
  Back to forum