Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Cancer
Cancer
Feb 8 2014, 10:11 am
By: ToA  

Feb 8 2014, 10:11 am ToA Post #1

Que Sera, Sera.

So recently my mom had a stroke, while at the hospital she was diagnosed with lung cancer, from what they can see it hasn't spread to any other part of the body so thats good.

I was wondering if any of you senners have had loved ones with cancer, and what to expect, I'm home the most from my family so I'll be taking care of her through most of it so I was curious.

Feb 8 2014, 11:02 am Generalpie Post #2

Staredit Puckwork

Quote from ToA
So recently my mom had a stroke, while at the hospital she was diagnosed with lung cancer, from what they can see it hasn't spread to any other part of the body so thats good.

I was wondering if any of you senners have had loved ones with cancer, and what to expect, I'm home the most from my family so I'll be taking care of her through most of it so I was curious.

My grandmother was diagnosed with Colon Cancer II, but on further inspection, she had stage 0 instead. She had a simple surgery and was weak for 2 weeks, but fully recovered and is back at her job at the hospital.

None.

Feb 8 2014, 1:09 pm Oh_Man Post #3

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

My cousin had brain cancer. Got treated with chemo. Then it recurred. Dead at 21. RIP.

Hopefully your mum will be fine, but yeah - it is a scary thing to be diagnosed with.

Feb 8 2014, 1:57 pm Sacrieur Post #4

Still Napping

Depends on the type of cancer.

Small cell carcinoma, for instance, has a three year survival rate of 10-15% because it metastasizes easily. Non-small cell carcinoma at stage I can have a five year survival rate of 50%. That said, the survival rates for lung cancer in general are pretty bad.

You'll want to talk to the oncologist.

None.

Feb 8 2014, 4:29 pm Fire_Kame Post #5

wth is starcraft

As others have said, you'll want to talk to get doctor. Ask your mom if you can sit in on a visit if she's okay with it. There are also a ton of self help things online you might want to look up.

I had a close friend with cancer. The only advice I can give is to be there for your mother even after the cancer has gone into remission. I know she was also really sensitive to smells and tastes while going through chemo so if you wear cologne or have very pungent soap, etc you might want to wait until you leave the house to put it on. And that her favorite food might tastes terrible to her. I'd talk to her once she starts treatment to see what she needs or if/how she changes.

Feb 8 2014, 5:16 pm Sacrieur Post #6

Still Napping

No one should wear cologne ever.

None.

Feb 8 2014, 7:38 pm payne Post #7

:payne:

I know it's some hippy shit, but if you feel like trying it out, it is also fun to do: search for the "Chaga" mushroom in the woods. It grows on birch trees, mostly the white variety.
"Inonotus Obliquus".
It is supposedly the thing with the highest concentration of antioxidants on Earth.
It tastes wonderful in teas. It also smells super good when you light it on fire (it can be used as inscent that way).

None.

Feb 8 2014, 8:22 pm TF- Post #8

🤙🏾

IIRC a very low carb diet can be very helpful with cancer and it's not a popular recommendation yet.

🤙🏾

Feb 9 2014, 12:59 am UnholyUrine Post #9

@previous comments

@ToA
I see that you're taking a big responsibility of taking care of your mom. It may be very stressful, and it'd be great if you can share with us what you're experiencing.
My mother had uterine cancer, and had a hysterectomy (uterus removal). She decided to keep it a secret from the 12 year old me, which I felt has robbed me from this important life experience, even if it would've decimated my 12 year old mind back then. She's still living today as she found that it was a benign tumor, and her regional lymph nodes had no metastases.

Lung cancer has a worse prognosis than other cancers. When they say "haven't spread to other places", what did they do to verify that? Did they do a biopsy of regional/sentinel lymph nodes? Did they do a scan? Is/Was your mother a smoker? Does your family have a history of this disease? These are all factors that your doctors will consider in your mother's prognosis.

Either way, if you're looking for some people to talk to, SEN is a good place, but definitely not the best. Talk to your family and friends.. talk to your doctor. Be there with your mom, as social interaction helps patients a lot.

Wish you all the best.

None.

Feb 9 2014, 1:37 am Fire_Kame Post #10

wth is starcraft

Yea definitely no one here should be telling him what his mother should ingest. That's a conversation for her and her doctor.

Feb 9 2014, 4:33 am Sacrieur Post #11

Still Napping

Quote from payne
I know it's some hippy shit, but if you feel like trying it out, it is also fun to do: search for the "Chaga" mushroom in the woods. It grows on birch trees, mostly the white variety.
"Inonotus Obliquus".
It is supposedly the thing with the highest concentration of antioxidants on Earth.
It tastes wonderful in teas. It also smells super good when you light it on fire (it can be used as inscent that way).

Antioxidants can help prevent cancer, but they do not help treat it in the same way washing your hands when you have the flu won't help you rid yourself of the flu.

Quote from TF-
IIRC a very low carb diet can be very helpful with cancer and it's not a popular recommendation yet.

Low carb diets can be dangerous for a number of reasons. In patients with cancer, an oncologist is best suited to making these sorts of determinations.

None.

Feb 9 2014, 6:11 am Oh_Man Post #12

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Alternative Medicine:

Options
  Back to forum