Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: StarCraft II: Arcade - Blizzard's Contest
StarCraft II: Arcade - Blizzard's Contest
Jan 31 2014, 4:34 am
By: Ahli  

Mar 15 2014, 5:59 pm LoveLess Post #21

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

You can use "my info" to enter payne, I don't mind. If they want to try and dispute it, I believe that your copy of SC2 was bought by me? If they can use IP or something, I could just say that it was a proxy address or something.

None.

Mar 21 2014, 3:41 am UnholyUrine Post #22

I hate to say this, because I do think it's cool that Blizzard is trying to instill some life in the map-making scene. Also, opening the arcade to be f2p is the right step. However, this contest is not a good idea due to a phenomenon called Motivation Crowding. (I didn't say anything b/c I obviously forgotten the correct term for it, until I came across it today.)

Motivation Crowding is the phenomenon when you give money to people for doing something they are passionate/enthusiastic about, thereby ruining the positivity. Money does not always motivate. In fact, when giving money to people for doing something they are doing out of creativity, or the goodness of their heart, it deteriorates the motivation.

Here's a cool real world example: Switzerland had to find a place to bury its radioactive waste, and they wanted to bury it near the village of Wolfenschiessen. Researchers did a survey and suprisingly 50.8% were in favor of the proposal due to national pride, decency, and prospect of new jobs. Then, the researchers did a second survey, but this time with a hypothetical reward of $5,000 per person if they were to accept the proposal. The results fell to 24.6%. The reward felt like a bribe for the people and "cheapened the community and patriotic spirit" (From "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli)

Basically, Map-making is a creative and passionate expression by mappers. Putting a price on it, even in contest form, cheapens the motivation to map. Moreover, it infers a misconception that only the elite can map. If Blizzard's intentions were to relive the UMS scene from SC:BW that significantly lengthened SC's lifetime for many players, this isn't the way to go.

The best thing they can do, I think, is to make the editor more user-friendly.

None.

Apr 4 2014, 1:13 am payne Post #23

:payne:

http://www.playstarparty.com/

My project's website. We should release a beta within a month. It's a pretty awesome map.
We have already built a small fan-base from merely testing our Closed-Alpha version. :awesome:

How are you guys' projects going?

None.

Apr 25 2014, 11:01 pm payne Post #24

:payne:

Sneak peak of one of the minigames we have done for the contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcD9Xt6VYlU

None.

May 7 2014, 1:53 pm Ahli Post #25

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

I've updated the first post with more news...

Options
  Back to forum