Cryptocurrency
Dec 17 2013, 2:23 am
By: rockz
Pages: < 1 2 3 47 >

Dec 18 2013, 8:30 am Apos Post #21

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from payne
Four questions:
- How does the actual mining work? I have to run a program actively to be mining? (Which would then mean leaving the computer open 24/7 is an advantage?) Would it use bandwidth, and at what rate if so?
- Why is there a charge for transfers? What is it used for/Who receives it?
- How different are the other alternative cryptocurrency? What are their advantages/disadvantages? Why did people feel a need to create other ones?
Quote from Apos
Correction in the OP: there will only be 21 million Bitcoins produced, though that 21M will never be reached as the production is halved every 4 years. It is estimated to reach that amount by the year 2140.
- What happens once all the bitcoins have been generated?
You can find the best answers on http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions?sort=votes

- What exactly is Mining?
- Who gets BitCoin transaction fees
- The code is open source, therefore it's rather trivial for someone to fork the project, change some values and hope for other people to hop in. Some altcoins have interesting ideas though such as Litecoins, or Peercoins.
- It is impossible to mine all bitcoins. 21 million is the amount that the bitcoin production converges towards. It's a logarithmic function. By that time, only tiny fractional units are mined. (Right now, 25 bitcoins are introduced in the system on average every 10 minutes.)

Dec 18 2013, 12:13 pm NudeRaider Post #22

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Sacrieur
After you create a worker with a password, your login on your guiminer is Login.Worker (For instance, mine is Sacrieur.Doge1)
At last the Penny's dropped!
I registered at the site with NudeRaider and created a Worker with the Name Nude
Now I tried to put into cgminer -u Nude instead of NudeRaider.Nude. That's why it didn't work.
But on the other site (where it worked) I got forced to name my worker NudeRaider.[something] (which annoyed me a little but made sure I'd not put in the wrong user for cgminer.

So this evening I'm gonna optimize cgminer for my GPU (7870 LE). Any quick tips?

Dec 18 2013, 12:39 pm rockz Post #23

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

here's my batch file:

Code
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
tasklist /nh /fi "imagename eq cgminer.exe" | find /i "cgminer.exe" > nul || (cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://doge.pool.webxass.de:3333 -u uZ8eilHYkdc7jJsxzzm7.a -p [pw] --thread-concurrency 20000 -g 1 -w 256 -I 18)

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 allows me to use a thread concurrency of over 8196 without crashing. My work size is 256 because I have a 7950. Smaller cards should use less. Intensity is 18, but it lags my computer to hell. Your worker password doesn't matter much, as it's not the password to the account, just the password to the worker you set up in the pool. My worker name is "a".

the tasklist/find cgminer.exe are just there so I don't run 2 at a time. I find cgminer crashes sometimes, so I have a task setup to restart it when the computer is idle.

Pools don't really matter so much, though I heard that netcodepool pays out the quickest because they're so huge (3 GH/s of the total block hashrate of 9 GH/s). In fast pools i think you get less total doges than slow pools, as the shares are spread out less in the slow pools.

https://www.mine-litecoin.com is a good site for guides on cgminer scripts.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Dec 18 2013, 12:54 pm Azrael Post #24

Quote from Sacrieur
Quote from payne
I never really understood this whole cryptocurrency thing.
They are supposed to be used as an alternative currency, or they can be used to cash in with actual money?

They can be used outright to buy things online from dealers who accept crytocurrency.

Or you can trade them on an online market for conventional currency, works the same way as would switching between currencies.

For more intricacies about how currencies work, see Spice & Wolf season 1.

Thumbs up, +1 karma, would read again.

Excellent advice.

Dec 18 2013, 7:28 pm Apos Post #25

Quote from NudeRaider
So this evening I'm gonna optimize cgminer for my GPU (7870 LE). Any quick tips?
Code
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://doge.scryptpools.com:3333 -u NudeRaider.Nude -p password --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 15168 -g 1 --intensity 19 --gpu-engine 1020 --gpu-memclock 1250 --temp-target 75 --temp-overheat 80 --temp-cutoff 85

Should give you a head start.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Dec 18 2013, 7:46 pm by Apos.

Dec 18 2013, 8:33 pm NudeRaider Post #26

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Apos
Quote from NudeRaider
Code
cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://doge.scryptpools.com:3333 -u NudeRaider.Nude -p password --worksize 256 --lookup-gap 2 --thread-concurrency 15168 -g 1 --intensity 19 --gpu-engine 1020 --gpu-memclock 1250 --temp-target 75 --temp-overheat 80 --temp-cutoff 85

Should give you a head start.
Thanks, will try!
Had no time playing around tonight, so I'll just use your values. Though my clock is already 1230 and my memory at 1500 at ~55°C so I will skip these parameters. (-.-,)

Still I'd be interested what worksize, lookup-gap, thread-concurrency and intensity actually mean and affect - "how they work". If someone would be kind enough to explain that'd be neat. (sorry for being lazy and not googling)

Dec 18 2013, 9:06 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #27

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from NudeRaider
Also why not run cgminer and cpuminer on the same computer? :D
Because cgminer just crashes immediately and refuses to work.

Quote from NudeRaider
Still I'd be interested what worksize, lookup-gap, thread-concurrency and intensity actually mean and affect - "how they work". If someone would be kind enough to explain that'd be neat. (sorry for being lazy and not googling)
SCRYPT-README.txt explains all of these. :P

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Dec 18 2013, 11:11 pm NudeRaider Post #28

:O Thanks Farty I just checked README.txt.

Alright got around 275 KHashs/s which means I'd be mining ~ 1.5 coins a day currently (which I won't because I'm not gonna run it 24/7).

What do you guys get?

EDIT:
CPU Mining is so useless -.-
I can get up to 24 KHash/s but then my GPU mining only runs at 50% efficiency. When I disable 2 cores I get the GPU mining back to full speed but only with an additional 12 KHash/s from CPU mining which is about 4% more.
Not even worth bothering imo.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 18 2013, 11:43 pm by NudeRaider.

Dec 19 2013, 4:53 am rockz Post #29

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

1.5 dogecoins a day is nothing. 275 KH/s should be getting at least 6k/day. If your settings aren't correct, you might be getting hardware errors which CGMINER doesn't send in, but it definitely counts them.

Also, there was a bit of a fiasco today with bitcoins dropping down to 60% of their normal price, and it looks like it's going to keep going down. However DOGE is up 40%, so it lost significantly less than bitcoins. I think at one point people were buying DOGE at .1 BTC on cryptsy. My deposit didn't go through fast enough for me to cash in though :(

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Dec 19 2013, 6:45 am NudeRaider Post #30

Quote from rockz
1.5 dogecoins a day is nothing. 275 KH/s should be getting at least 6k/day. If your settings aren't correct, you might be getting hardware errors which CGMINER doesn't send in, but it definitely counts them.
Well it's a bit strange. With intensity of 8 I only get ~20-30 KH/s. I was surprised when it went up over 10 times that value when setting it to 13. But cgminer says HW:0 which is the number of hardware errors I got afaik. There's also no other indication of a problem. How can I identify it?
Btw. while I have no crashes and safe temps (< 70°C) I do get graphical artifacts on the desktop. Like white patterned blocks and stuff. Doesn't seem to affect stability and I have only a minor overclock. I was thinking cgminer may use too much graphics memory.

Also my worker account also shows to be running at 300KH/s on the website, so I'd assume the numbers from cgminer are correct?

Is it my pool maybe?
KH/s DOGE/Day
390 1.153
150 0.444
120 0.355

These are the stats of some other miners in my pool.

Dec 19 2013, 6:58 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #31

👻 👾 👽 💪

How do I get the gpu miner to work? It just crashes at " [2013-12-18 23:57:49] Started cgminer 3.7.2". D:
Or what alternatives can I try?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 19 2013, 7:07 am by FaRTy1billion.

EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Dec 19 2013, 9:12 pm payne Post #32

:payne:

Peercoin: the first environmentally-friendly bitcoin
I laughed.

None.

Dec 19 2013, 10:20 pm NudeRaider Post #33

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
How do I get the gpu miner to work? It just crashes at " [2013-12-18 23:57:49] Started cgminer 3.7.2". D:
Try with or without certain options. For example I get the same problem when I start with a (quite low) intensity of 11, but once cgminer has started I can up it no problem.

Maybe there's similar bugs with other options and hardware.

Dec 20 2013, 1:47 am rockz Post #34

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from rockz
Well it's a bit strange. With intensity of 8 I only get ~20-30 KH/s. I was surprised when it went up over 10 times that value when setting it to 13. But cgminer says HW:0 which is the number of hardware errors I got afaik. There's also no other indication of a problem. How can I identify it?
Btw. while I have no crashes and safe temps (< 70°C) I do get graphical artifacts on the desktop. Like white patterned blocks and stuff. Doesn't seem to affect stability and I have only a minor overclock. I was thinking cgminer may use too much graphics memory.

Also my worker account also shows to be running at 300KH/s on the website, so I'd assume the numbers from cgminer are correct?

Is it my pool maybe?
KH/s DOGE/Day
390 1.153
150 0.444
120 0.355

These are the stats of some other miners in my pool.
Those stats are fairly poor. what's important is the actual amount you're getting in your account.

I get a lot more than that on 100 kH/s on my pool.
I got ~1000 coins in one hour (probably at the 500 KH/s rate though), and the pool was down most of the day today while I was at work. There's usually a "transactions" tab that tells you what you're getting. If you're not actually getting the coins, then try a different pool. I use http://doge.pool.webxass.de/ and http://doge.netcodepool.org/. Highly recommend webxass since you're in Germany, nude.

Dec 20 2013, 3:23 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #35

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Try with or without certain options. For example I get the same problem when I start with a (quite low) intensity of 11, but once cgminer has started I can up it no problem.

Maybe there's similar bugs with other options and hardware.
I've tried with every combination. ;o On my other computer it crashes or gives errors when the settings are too high, but it crashes after the "Started cgminer" has gone away and not immediately. That's actually how/why I found the readme. xD I was trying to find what other options might affect it.

Dec 20 2013, 5:00 am rockz Post #36

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

my initial issues were with the wrong password/username combination.

If you have an nVidia GPU, you should use CUDA Miner instead.

Dec 20 2013, 5:52 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #37

👻 👾 👽 💪

My login stuff is not incorrect. I have ATI. :(

I put CUDA miner on my desktop ... It seems to be running about the same. xD Is it damaging at all to run these for long periods of time?

I don't think I'm getting enough Khash/s (at like 60 xD) ... The first several hours I ran it I accumulatd like 1200, but I've been running it for a few hours and I apparently haven't gotten any. Although I guess it could just be my pool not doing well anymore ...

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Dec 20 2013, 6:52 am by FaRTy1billion.

Dec 20 2013, 6:52 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #38

I'm getting 7 khash/s on my little toshiba... http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-15-6-Laptop-640GB-L755D-S5204/dp/B006BRYZE8

Is this about all I can expect from my laptop? I'm not really sure how to optimize for my computer, also, I'm using cpuminer, which I'm not sure how to set the settings in the batch file.

None.

Dec 20 2013, 9:03 am Apos Post #39

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
I'm getting 7 khash/s on my little toshiba... http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-15-6-Laptop-640GB-L755D-S5204/dp/B006BRYZE8

Is this about all I can expect from my laptop? I'm not really sure how to optimize for my computer, also, I'm using cpuminer, which I'm not sure how to set the settings in the batch file.
CPU mining is probably already not an option anymore. If you really want to mine, use your GPU:
Code
--shaders 40 --intensity 10 --worksize 128 -g 1

Try with different intensity and worksize.

Dec 20 2013, 9:28 am Riney Post #40

Thigh high affectionado

So how do you get an account on the Doge thing. Says they only accept invites now, and the forum you have to request on baffles me. I can't find a post or reply button anywhere.

I apparently get 1.9 MH though, safe, and 3.6 if I really want to kick it into overdrive.

Edit: So I got into a different pool, which I believe is working, however the site says my Miner is not active. I'm confused, tried fiddling with the site info and password in the miner client, which it still let 'mine' with a bad password. Of course I haven't seen a share yet. Wondering if I botched something.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 20 2013, 10:27 am by Riney.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 47 >
  Back to forum