Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Links to quality UMS Map Packs
Links to quality UMS Map Packs
Nov 19 2013, 4:28 am
By: ScOULaris  

Nov 19 2013, 4:28 am ScOULaris Post #1

Hey everyone,

I'm a longtime SC/BW fan that is making a return to the game after having taken years off. I spent countless hours during my teenage years playing UMS maps for Brood War, and now that the scene seems to be dying down considerably I think it's important that we try to preserve the amazing legacy of the Starcraft 1 UMS community. One thing that threatens this legacy is how hard it can sometimes be to find particular maps that are either scattered all over the 'net or not hosted anywhere in particular online. Some people have taken it upon themselves to attempt to amass a definitive collection of sorts of UMS maps, eliminating duplicates and organizing everything into genres and subgenres. So I figured why not make a thread that can house links to these map packs so that people can make strides toward filling out their collection.

I'll start us off with a few:

Scmaps.net's Archive (18000+ UMS maps) - This is a pretty damned good start for a UMS map collector. It's definitely not a complete collection, as I've noticed several maps that I personally have but aren't present here, but it's certainly a huge slice of UMS map history. They offer both direct download and torrent links at the site that I link here.

ScOULaris' Personal Collection (1000+ maps) - This is a ZIP file containing all of my maps that I've naturally amassed from playing SC on and off for years. While I'm sure there is quite a bit of overlap with most of the bigger map packs out there, I know for a fact that I also have dozens of rare maps in there (especially RPGs) that aren't easily found elsewhere. For example, I have pretty much every iteration of the once-popular Kyprion Pact RPG (by Vinzalf). I remember playing sessions with Vinzalf himself every time he'd release a new update into the wild, and it's fun to revisit each version and notice some of the rather radical changes between each one. Unfortunately I haven't taken the time to do any cleaning up or organizing, so this is just a raw list of maps.

The Mega UMS Map Collection (35000+ maps) - This is hands-down the most comprehensive, well-organized UMS map pack I have come across anywhere online. It has pretty much everything you can think of, and it does a great job categorizing a lot of the quality maps in there as well. The only problem is that this is only available as a torrent download, and as of right now nobody appears to be seeding it. If anyone already has this collection, please take this opportunity to seed in light of the exposure that this thread may bring.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully these links will be of use to some of you around here.

I just wanted to add that I think it's amazing that these forums are doing their best to keep the UMS scene alive. I just came back to SC1 recently, and I've found some absolutely stellar new maps on the Showcase forum already. Since SC2 basically killed UMS for all intents and purposes, I can only hope that we'll see some kind of resurgence for SC1 in this regard.

None.

Nov 19 2013, 4:44 am Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

There's also Nibbits with just over 14000 maps, and Renaka with 7500 maps.

The real challenge is going through all these maps and picking out the ones that are actually worth playing.

Nov 19 2013, 12:21 pm ScOULaris Post #3

Quote from Roy
There's also Nibbits with just over 14000 maps, and Renaka with 7500 maps.

The real challenge is going through all these maps and picking out the ones that are actually worth playing.

Nibbits is probably the best site around today (along with StarEdit) for finding individual maps, I think. But I'd never heard of that Renaka one until I saw your post. It's pretty cool!

I like how Renaka offers packs by genre. Useful for someone who just wants to download types of maps that they like instead of thousands upon thousands just for the sake of it.

None.

Nov 21 2013, 9:29 am NekoKyd Post #4

Any idea how one seeds on that 35k map download site? I would love to get all of them, and it's so nicely organized too.

None.

Nov 21 2013, 12:40 pm ScOULaris Post #5

Quote from NekoKyd
Any idea how one seeds on that 35k map download site? I would love to get all of them, and it's so nicely organized too.

Well, the only way to seed it would be to first have the entire file. That being said, the map packs found on Renaka's site look to be exactly the same as the organized folders in that torrent. The only thing unique to the torrent is that 25000-map (unsorted) RAR file that also comes with it.

I just ended up downloading all of the Renaka packs to fill out my collection in an organized fashion.

None.

Nov 21 2013, 8:25 pm NudeRaider Post #6

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Without bothering to check them I added your links to our stickied map request thread so we have a central place for people to look for maps and map packs.

I hope your links are valid (for a long time). :P

Nov 21 2013, 11:33 pm ScOULaris Post #7

Quote from NudeRaider
Without bothering to check them I added your links to our stickied map request thread so we have a central place for people to look for maps and map packs.

I hope your links are valid (for a long time). :P

Well my dropbox link should be up for the foreseeable future, and Renaka had better stay up for all of our sakes. ;)

As for the torrent link, I haven't been able to find anybody seeding it. But like I said a few posts up, it just consists of all the Renaka packs + some unsorted ZIP of 25000 maps.

I have already downloaded all of the Renaka map packs (7500 or so in total), so if that ever goes down I'd look into re-hosting them all somewhere else.

None.

Options
  Back to forum