Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: StarCraft II - Art Tools Open Beta
StarCraft II - Art Tools Open Beta
Aug 30 2013, 11:50 pm
By: Ahli  

Aug 30 2013, 11:50 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II: Art Tools - Open Beta
--- Art Tools ---

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment
Are you a talented 3D artist interested in creating completely new models, particles, animations, and more in the StarCraft II universe? If so, you’ll want to dive into our StarCraft II Art Tools open beta. This package includes plugins for 3ds Max, a large number of StarCraft II source art files, and complete documentation and tutorials to get you started.

These aren’t just some tools that we’ve whipped up. These are the exact same tools that our very own development team used to create Heart of the Swarm. The full capability of the StarCraft II engine is at your disposal -- to do with as you see fit. We wanted to give you the same power wielded by our own team, so that there’s no limit to your creations. Here are a couple examples of some of the work that our community produced during StarCraft II Art Tools closed beta.

If creating new models, textures, particle effects, animations, or any other 3D art asset for the StarCraft II engine sounds appealing, then make sure you meet the system requirements, and click below to start downloading the StarCraft II Art Tools.

Since this is a beta, we want to hear about any bugs you may come across as well as your feedback on how we can improve the tools. Please visit our feedback thread and let us know what you think.
You can get the Art Tools, its documentation and installation instructions HERE.

Aug 31 2013, 1:14 am luzz Post #2

Time to learn how to model!! Are these tools available for anything other than 3ds max?

None.

Aug 31 2013, 3:19 am Jack Post #3

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Just a little late, Blizzard. Just a little late.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 31 2013, 6:45 am TheSpiritOfModNights Post #4

What? They have been out since february. How is it "just a little late?" They were late back then anyway, but I am just pointing out that they have been accesible fo almost half a year now.

Also they're pretty cool, you should stop talking and try them.

None.

Aug 31 2013, 11:12 am Ahli Post #5

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

What? They have been out since february. How is it "just a little late?" They were late back then anyway, but I am just pointing out that they have been accesible fo almost half a year now.

Indeed. They invited everyone that asked in their threads... in EU, the last invitations occured 10 days ago.

Now, someone make me Diablo, goatmen, Pedestal of Blood or hell dungeon walls or any kind of doodad objects I can use or spell effects. ^^

Aug 31 2013, 11:42 am Jack Post #6

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

StarCraft II's been out since 2010 if I recall correctly. Three years later...art tools released.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Aug 31 2013, 5:10 pm Roy Post #7

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

It seems like they released it around the time HotS came out, which is reasonable to me: new toys come with the expansion; in fact, they said these were the tools developed specifically for the expansion, so the release timing makes sense. They did the same thing with the World Editor in Warcraft III: TFT (vastly improved customization for the model editor) and even Brood War (increasing location limit, for example).

I don't think anyone was particularly demanding Blizzard to offer their own proprietary art tools, either, and Blizzard has no obligation to publicize internal tools (they probably had to go out of their way presentationally before releasing the tools to the public, as internal tools are almost never polished to begin with); it was just a nice gesture toward the mapmaking community to release them. Let's not hate them for it.

Aug 31 2013, 6:10 pm Pr0nogo Post #8

The release timing does not make sense and it's clear that Blizzard does not support custom content by delaying the release of their half-assed broken art tools by three years.

Options
  Back to forum