Ugly.
“Two”
Dude.
“Three”
Pretty.
“Four”
Ugly.

I want to get three.

Ms. Clemmens continues counting down the row, appointing us to our assigned groups. The classroom let out a collective moan. I didn't join them, the fools. In my own mind I speed down the isle much
faster – 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3... I'm three! Ms. Clemmens, you angel! God surely has blessed her with the gift of province.

“One”
Funny.
“Two”
Funny looking.
“Three”
Hot.
“Four”
Guy.

I need to get three.

I stare at Dude 2 and Guy 4, wincing with pity. If only they knew they were playing a game of roulette when taking their seats this morning. When a teacher decides to do the old “count off”, sitting near the girl you like will only get you burned. I'm too smart, and too charred to let that happen anymore.

“One”
Fat.
“Two”
Meh.
“Three”
Oh my god, no.
“Four”
NO!

I'm not getting three.For whatever reason, Ms. Clemmens has decided to count the unorthodox way of front, to back, to back, to front. What kind of a sick monster would count that way? Everyone knows you start over at the top of the row once you reach the end. It's basic math! Is the extra hand movement too much for the dying old hag? She hates me.

“One”
No time. I already know I have to be in three, but how? I quickly do the devil's new arithmetic in my head. Four, I'm four. Just one off from salvation. I need to fix the order of things back to where they were. I have time to switch seats with the pizza face in front of me, but will he comply? No. Hot and Pretty are going to be wasted on this bum. No one likes me enough here to switch seats with me, yet. If this was the end of the semester, the tool in front of me would be putty in my hands, and his seat, mine. But that's the problem. No one likes me until they get to know me, and in this world, nothing's making them. Almost nothing, which is why I treasure assigned seating and the like. Freedoms give people the ability to wander off on their own, often away from everyone else. It's a life sentence of loneliness to anyone too socially inept to wander after others.
“Four”

Her words hit me like a fresh welt, but one more won't kill me. I'm sure I can make some use of Ugly and Guy. They'll frown at my bluntness, yell at me, but eventually laugh too. Their disgust will turn to endearment, and they will wander closer.

Mar 16 2013, 5:57 am Sand Wraith Post #2

she/her

main character is a pathetic beta gay in denial?

/flex

Pretty fun read. I can really see the theme of being a lonely faget. "We live as we dream - alone," right?

Options
  Back to forum