Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Cliffs and Gaps w/ Doodads
Cliffs and Gaps w/ Doodads
Jan 31 2013, 9:46 pm
By: sugarrushx  

Jan 31 2013, 9:46 pm sugarrushx Post #1

This concept was used in KimaruSunkill's Portal map.
So, I was messing around with GUEdit (a protector), and using it's switch terrain feature.
I checked the map, and saw that replacing the old map's doodads we're black rectangles. I tested it out in-game, and sent one of my SCVs to try to go over it.
The doodad still had the collision properties (or whatever it's called) in them, so my SCV can't go past them.
So, I found out how KimaruSunkill made those cliffs/gaps, and started using the concept in my maps.
So... yeah... :D

None.

Jan 31 2013, 10:29 pm Roy Post #2

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Black rectangles? You mean null tiles?

The collision part of doodads are actually terrain, and the visual part with no collision is a sprite. An example would be the tree doodad: the stump is actually terrain, and the branches/leaves are a sprite.

When GUEdit changes the tileset of a map to something else, the index of the doodads' terrain tiles are null tiles on the new tileset.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 1 2013, 4:23 am by Roy.

Jan 31 2013, 11:03 pm sugarrushx Post #3

Thanks for the clarification.

None.

Feb 1 2013, 12:51 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #4

Yeah so in other words you can just use null tiles straight from SCMDraft2, and don't have to use this technique. KimaruSunkill most likely did not use GUEdit to glitch doodads in order to place these null tiles. It is much simpler than that.

Check out SCMDRAFT2. To place these null tiles, just go to the tileset index when terraining and select any one of the black areas.

None.

Feb 3 2013, 11:44 pm sugarrushx Post #5

I have SCMDraft2...
And I did not know you could use the Tileset Index and actually select the black tiles.

None.

Options
  Back to forum