Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Sound Design
Sound Design
Dec 10 2012, 9:18 pm
By: InsolubleFluff  

Dec 31 2012, 10:20 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #21

Can I make some requests? I need a sound for a "freeze" spell, and I need a sound that sounds like a huge boulder hitting the ground, and I need a good sound for picking up items. :)

None.

Dec 31 2012, 10:26 pm InsolubleFluff Post #22

Certainly, I will add them to my list straight away!

Is the Freeze spell an impact sounds of an icicle hitting something? Or more of a chilling sound?
As for the boulder sound, this is going to require me to go out tomorrow and record me dropping some heavy objects on concrete... getting excited :D!
The picking up sound I can probably cook up with a synthesizer :) x

Also, in addition, I have been uploading small sample packs to the SENDB. Some of these are Alien noises, Muddy Footsteps and the strange Buzzer sounds found in this thread. I suggest downloading them and seeing if any of those may fit your maps. I know one of the Alien sounds was made using a similar method that I may try to record your frost spell, though I may have to go buy some more whipped cream cans :) x

None.

Dec 31 2012, 10:54 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #23

Quote from InsolubleFluff
Certainly, I will add them to my list straight away!

Is the Freeze spell an impact sounds of an icicle hitting something? Or more of a chilling sound?
As for the boulder sound, this is going to require me to go out tomorrow and record me dropping some heavy objects on concrete... getting excited :D!
The picking up sound I can probably cook up with a synthesizer :) x

Also, in addition, I have been uploading small sample packs to the SENDB. Some of these are Alien noises, Muddy Footsteps and the strange Buzzer sounds found in this thread. I suggest downloading them and seeing if any of those may fit your maps. I know one of the Alien sounds was made using a similar method that I may try to record your frost spell, though I may have to go buy some more whipped cream cans :) x

The freeze spell will be more of a chilling sound! Thanks!

None.

Jan 1 2013, 10:28 am InsolubleFluff Post #24

Here is a Freeze Spell in mp3 format.
It is chilling and quite long, but if you want it shorter I can cut it down, if you want it to be more of an impact I will need to go and buy some ice cubes from work ;) x

None.

Jan 1 2013, 1:01 pm Leeroy_Jenkins Post #25

Here is a Freeze Spell in mp3 format.
It is chilling and quite long, but if you want it shorter I can cut it down, if you want it to be more of an impact I will need to go and buy some ice cubes from work ;) x

Hmm. Yeah if we are to go with that then it would be nice if it were a bit shorter. I don't mean to be picky but the sound doesn't really convey "freezing" to me. All that white noise makes it sound like an ocean, no? I understand you're doing free work though, so thank you :)
I think that if that sound effect was sped up to include its entirety yet complete in half the time, it might not sound too bad. Although, if you're willing to buy those ice-cubes and try for more of an impact sound, that could be interesting!

Also, about the boulder sound. I should be more specific, I want it to sound like a giant boulder erupting from the ground. Probably 2 seconds in length at maximum.

None.

Jan 1 2013, 9:29 pm InsolubleFluff Post #26

Okay, I am going to speed it up and then upload the attachment to this post. I forgot the ice cubes, but I will go shops tomorrow and record some fresh new sounds.

I apologize these sounds aren't of the same quality as SCII but I am new to sound design and I am doing this all as practise, those people have done it for years and have huge resources. I think it is just interesting to include unique sounds that may add charm to your map and help it stand out.

Attachments:
Freeze Spell 2.mp3
Hits: 2 Size: 118.39kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 1 2013, 9:41 pm by InsolubleFluff.

None.

Jan 2 2013, 3:46 am luzz Post #27

Don't oppologize xD you have already told us this is all practice for you, we can take or leave what you give us, and we won't find good custom sounds anywhere else for free so we can either take it and have a unique map, or leave it and have a normal one. Thanks for doing this, it helps us map makers a lot no matter the quality of the work. :)

None.

Jan 2 2013, 8:47 am InsolubleFluff Post #28

Wow, thanks man, I really appreciate you saying that!
I should be recording some new sounds to use today, hopefully should give me some more options :) x

None.

Jan 3 2013, 2:31 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #29

Okay, I am going to speed it up and then upload the attachment to this post. I forgot the ice cubes, but I will go shops tomorrow and record some fresh new sounds.

I apologize these sounds aren't of the same quality as SCII but I am new to sound design and I am doing this all as practise, those people have done it for years and have huge resources. I think it is just interesting to include unique sounds that may add charm to your map and help it stand out.

Yeah that'll work! I edited it a little bit, but it was a good sound to work with. Thank you!

None.

Jan 3 2013, 10:44 am InsolubleFluff Post #30

That's okay mate, I am happy to do this.
For the record, that is the sound of several whipped cream cans with a long and wet reverberation, and the swoosh sound is just an automated filter.

None.

Options
  Back to forum