Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Back on the job, needing aid.
Back on the job, needing aid.
Nov 2 2012, 8:46 pm
By: SCRuler
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

Feb 15 2015, 7:51 am Sand Wraith Post #101

she/her

Quote from Pr0nogo
Science Vessel inherits weird shit from the Science Vessel turret. Try replacing a hero air unit and mapping its graphics to an unused grp, like kcritter or flag.

IIRC the Science Vessel base's script generates the Science Vessel turret which does not have its own unit ID.

Quote from SCRuler
Ok, so I restarted the mod because I fucked something up completely which prevented all zerg from being able to burrow even if it was the original burrowing capable ones.
I'm at a place where I think I want to be with it except for a few things:

1: I wanted to give the Ultralisk "Dark Swarm" because I couldn't reasonably add it to any other unit. i have it attached in Firegraft and I gave the Ultralisk spellcaster ability. However, whenever I cast it on a target (terrain or otherwise) it does nothing but spawn an unselectable mutalisk right in the place of the Ultralisk. What's up with this?

2: I want to make Zerglings able to morph into Broodlings since I replaced broodlings in "spawn broodling" with larva for the queen. I wanted it to be researched like the Lurker Aspect. Should I attach it to an Unknown Tech item? What do I do?

3: I still want that bionuke ability, and I also would like to make a "psionic" ability for the Infested Ghost. What do I do about this?

4: What unit can I use to make a dedicated Air-to-Ground attacker(a bomber if you will) for terran? Also, I think I'd like to make a zerg "Capital ship". How would I go about that? Is there any good grps for a Leviathan or are there any kitbash artists still around?

1) CastSpell script problem almost certainly. Check Ultralisk's animation and compare it to Defiler's, there is likely a sigorder opcode or similar.

2) There are recent versions of EXE edits for 1.16.1 Brood War, FireGraft, available at http://www.broodwarai.com/forums/ . They are pretty useful and IIRC have have features to allow the addition of more morphable units.

EDIT{ 3) Sorry but I don't think it's happening. There are some tricks I might use to implement this through GPTP though, if you want to hear about them.
}

4) I don't know, any Hero unit if you don't need them?... Literally, almost any unit that isn't a building or have a significant number of hardcoded properties will suffice.

Feb 15 2015, 3:34 pm SCRuler Post #102

What I did for broodlings from larvae was basically exactly what you said. You see, I gave the queen "Spawn larva" and I edited the text tbl entry for Spawn Broodling accordingly. I made a new tech entry and gave it new entries. Added that to the Hive. I added broodling button and I added an edited tbl entry from an area that wasn't used. It may have been that the tech entry I used had energy attached but I attempted to undo that. Not sure if I actually saved that though. I'll give it another run.
I know about that whole aspect, I replaced the valkyrie with it's prototype sprite. Only problem I have right now with that is the thruster graphics are misplaced. If I could have some help with that, it'd be apreciated. But I digress. I was hoping it'd be the missing space critter thing or whatever so I wouldn't have to replace any of the critters which would probably cause some weird stuff when playing a factory-set custom map with the critters on it. But I'll probably use it or one of the critters. I really wish i could use one of the unused things but they all use Scout.

My biggest problem right now is that I want to make useable attack type spells since I can't get to make a cloaking spell for the Infested Ghost for whatever reason (My guess is it's hardcoded? or would I be able to make it not dependent upon a research tech?) Anyway, I'm interested in making a new spell for it and I dont know how to go about it. Also I'm planning on using the Overmind as the "capital ship" for the zerg and I need to make a proper unit type iscript for it and I'll need some help.

None.

Feb 15 2015, 4:22 pm Pr0nogo Post #103

If you migrate Personnel Cloaking or Cloak Field (Ghost and Wraith respectively) onto the Infested Ghost's command card, you can simply add the Dat Requirement and go from there. Use the opcode 'Is hero or researched' and make the unit a hero to remove the research tech requirement, or remove the research tech requirement from the spell altogether (basically make it require nothing). Note that the latter approach means that Ghosts (or Wraiths) can use the cloak without researching it first.

Feb 15 2015, 9:35 pm Sand Wraith Post #104

she/her

Quote from SCRuler
What I did for broodlings from larvae was basically exactly what you said. You see, I gave the queen "Spawn larva" and I edited the text tbl entry for Spawn Broodling accordingly. I made a new tech entry and gave it new entries. Added that to the Hive. I added broodling button and I added an edited tbl entry from an area that wasn't used. It may have been that the tech entry I used had energy attached but I attempted to undo that. Not sure if I actually saved that though. I'll give it another run.
I know about that whole aspect, I replaced the valkyrie with it's prototype sprite. Only problem I have right now with that is the thruster graphics are misplaced. If I could have some help with that, it'd be apreciated. But I digress. I was hoping it'd be the missing space critter thing or whatever so I wouldn't have to replace any of the critters which would probably cause some weird stuff when playing a factory-set custom map with the critters on it. But I'll probably use it or one of the critters. I really wish i could use one of the unused things but they all use Scout.

My biggest problem right now is that I want to make useable attack type spells since I can't get to make a cloaking spell for the Infested Ghost for whatever reason (My guess is it's hardcoded? or would I be able to make it not dependent upon a research tech?) Anyway, I'm interested in making a new spell for it and I dont know how to go about it. Also I'm planning on using the Overmind as the "capital ship" for the zerg and I need to make a proper unit type iscript for it and I'll need some help.

If you are looking for spare sprite or flingy entries (i forgot which one is the limiting resource), the special buildings like Psi Disruptor are what I might consider. Then you can use one of the many available unit entries.

On cloaking: you will likely need to set an EXE edit as well.

Normal attack spells (not nuke) are very doable. My favourite method is to use a tech entry that refers to an order to use a spell, which triggers a script animation, within which you can basically write anything. I think the only difficulty here is doing this while also implementing a projectile behaviour instead of relying on useweapon. If your order entry points to a weapon entry, I think you could use castspell opcode to implement a projectile. Otherwise, having a spare weapon slot and attackwith N opcode would help, or even a more complex system that involves invisible sub units and their weapon slots.

Feb 16 2015, 12:34 am SCRuler Post #105

Quote from Sand Wraith
Quote from SCRuler

If you are looking for spare sprite or flingy entries (i forgot which one is the limiting resource), the special buildings like Psi Disruptor are what I might consider. Then you can use one of the many available unit entries.

On cloaking: you will likely need to set an EXE edit as well.

Normal attack spells (not nuke) are very doable. My favourite method is to use a tech entry that refers to an order to use a spell, which triggers a script animation, within which you can basically write anything. I think the only difficulty here is doing this while also implementing a projectile behaviour instead of relying on useweapon. If your order entry points to a weapon entry, I think you could use castspell opcode to implement a projectile. Otherwise, having a spare weapon slot and attackwith N opcode would help, or even a more complex system that involves invisible sub units and their weapon slots.
I was gonna go ahead and use one of the Overminds for my Zerg capital ship. But also, I guess I'll use a hero or something and change it to one of the critters. I dont think I'll be using desert for the campaign much if at all.

I think I'll go for your method of spell creation, if you wouldn't mind walking me through it. Also, which item under the cloak EXE edits would allow me to implement cloak without forcing personnel cloaking onto it and making that not researched? Personally I want to make a new cloaking research tech for it.

Also I'm still curious as to how to re-implement the broodling death counter, because it'd be the best concept for what I want to implement, as an emergency base defense strain.
Edit: Also, would the multiple units on build exe edit work and go well? And I use the zergling birth on the broodlings and it didn't make it birth two from one egg.
-Also, I just did some testing with the bunker. Apparently my ghost kerrigan (which I gave shields) entering a bunker causes everything to crash. I tried adding shields to other hero infantry but it doesn't cause them to crash. I removed the shielding from the ghost kerrigan and it didn't crash. Leads me to think that its the shields but it makes no sense why it would only be kerrigan shields that makes it crash.

That was fixed strangely, I gave the ghost kerrigan shields again and they worked in the bunker. But there's the whole "flame with the firebat replacement" thing. Also, I tried replacing a critter's graphics with new unit graphics for a new bomber type unit. The unit I applied to it was the Arcturus Mengsk hero. It crashes when placed or trained immediately, you dont even see it. I even tried editing the iscript. I'll post the grp so you guys can help me with the iscript.

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on Feb 16 2015, 3:22 am by SCRuler.

None.

Feb 16 2015, 4:16 am Sand Wraith Post #106

she/her

I don't see anything wrong with your graphic. It's almost certainly a script issue. Use the script of a unit like the Wraith or Dropship.

On spells:

Pick an order O.
Make O refer to a tech (for energy).
Make O refer to a weapon W.
Make O refer to a script block like Cast Spell.
In the unit U's script, modify its Cast Spell animation to use castspell or usewapon W.
Give U the button and necessary requirements.

That's the best I can spare atm.

Feb 16 2015, 2:37 pm SCRuler Post #107

So do I do the order applying in Datedit or Firegraft? Because I dont know how to do anything with orders.

I had it not crashing for a little while but I had to edit the iscript because it literally wasn't moving. Now it's just freezing just from clicking on the "build" item and from loading the map with it placed (when for some reason I'm able to decently place it in staredit). Also, there's a problem in that building it has an energy cost shown on the command card and I have no damn clue why. I attached it's requirements to a normal building requirement, unlike the broodling. The problem for the broodling is that it shows 100 energy requirement and doesnt show it's actual resource requirement. I did try to make the energy equal to 0 but nothing happened. I'll attach all the files I have that would be relevant so if you guys have the time you can examine them.

Edit: I managed to fix the energy thing showing up for the bomber (I think it has to do with the wrong number involved in the Tbl tags) but it's still freezing when I try to build it from the starport. I can't see what I've done wrong there. And plus, the broodlings are now properly hatching as two from one egg. Strangely though, the research to let them be hatched suddenly changed the displayed resources to 1 mineral and gas respectively. Probably a Tbl thing I think.
Also, I tried removing "must be researched" from cloak, and applying the function to the Defiler (the infested ghost). Nothing still shows up. Never mind that portion, I had to deal with an EXE edit so it works. Only issue right now is for some reason the infested ghost won't decloak. I have the button, nothing happens.

Post has been edited 8 time(s), last time on Feb 16 2015, 11:40 pm by SCRuler.

None.

Feb 18 2015, 10:56 pm Sand Wraith Post #108

she/her

On 1 mineral 1 gas problem: Almost certainly a TBL problem.

Feb 19 2015, 2:14 am SCRuler Post #109

Quote from Sand Wraith
On 1 mineral 1 gas problem: Almost certainly a TBL problem.
Yeah, I actually fixed it shortly after I posted.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum