Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: STARCRAFT II - HotS: Leveling
STARCRAFT II - HotS: Leveling
Oct 25 2012, 6:34 pm
By: Ahli  

Oct 25 2012, 6:34 pm Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II: HotS - Leveling
--- HOTS battle.net ---

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment
Our next major patch of the Heart of the Swarm beta is coming very soon, and with this update, beta players are going to be able to join us in testing a new feature for StarCraft II. Leveling introduces a progression system to the game that offers rewards to players of all skill levels.

The basics

In the Heart of the Swarm leveling system, players earn experience while playing Blizzard matchmaking modes and custom games on Blizzard maps. You’ll earn XP for the race you’re playing with each unit you build or destroy. Experience is awarded at the end of the match, and accumulates as you level up from 1 to a maximum level of 20 for each race.

Getting into the game and playing as much as possible will earn you XP and rewards. Build up powerful armies, wreak havoc on the map, fight to the bitter end, and you’ll be rewarded for your efforts! There will also be ways to earn bonus experience points for a match. We’re already working on concepts like “bonus XP for your first win of the day” and “extra XP when you play in a party with a Battletag or Real-ID friend”. We’re considering “bonus XP weekends” and other sorts of activities, which will be tested in the beta.

The rewards

The Leveling system is how you will earn most portraits and decals in Heart of the Swarm. We’re creating a multitude of new images for players to collect and display. Your cumulative (Protoss+Terran+Zerg) level will also be displayed right next to your player portrait, so others will be able to easily see how far you’ve gone in mastering the races of StarCraft II.

Each level you earn awards either a decal or a portrait for the race that you’re playing. These rewards get more and more epic as you progress in a race. The rewards will be different for each race, so truly dedicated players can push themselves to great heights for each of the three races.

The Heart of the Swarm beta

After the next major beta patch, testers can try this system and start earning XP in the beta. We’re planning on making adjustments over time, so it’s likely that XP resets will happen during beta. We’re going to pay very close attention to the leveling curve and the fun factor of this system, so it’s important that we have a lot of playtest results to work with. We’ll give beta testers notice in advance of resetting the system so testers can help us try different methods of gaining XP.

Source

Oct 25 2012, 6:40 pm Dem0n Post #2

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Stupid, stupid, really fucking stupid.

"Yeahh let's add leveling to an RTS which provides nothing for the player! All the fanboys who just started playing Starcraft last year will think it's awesome and play more!"

You'd think they'd fix the shitty system that is bnet2 before they began adding worthless stuff like this.

Oct 25 2012, 6:52 pm Jack Post #3

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from Dem0n

"Yeahh let's add leveling to an RTS which provides nothing for the player! All the fanboys who just started playing Starcraft last year will think it's awesome and play more!"

You'd think they'd fix the shitty system that is bnet2 before they began adding worthless stuff like this.
I actually don't think it's bad per se, but there are a whole bunch of things they could fix first before doing stuff like this.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 25 2012, 6:54 pm Ahli Post #4

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Dem0n

Well, they announced to release multiple features for bnet and made another overhaul to the UI.
They need to have that complete at HotS release, so the returning casuals or the attracted new players keep playing.

Basically it's a better system to make players play more than the achievement system...
Now you can actually see the progress after every game instead of having a counter go up by 1 for a win, etc...

Also, what do you think are the biggest problems remaining in sc2? What should they tackle in your opinion?
I guess names for lobbies might be good... fixing bugs in lobby, maybe changing lobby layout to have a bigger chat (+ making use of widescreen)...
Ingame stream player to Blizzard's tournaments like WCS might help to support esports...
Basically using the best of LoL, Dota2 and old bnet?
Liquid'Sheth made a poll on teamliquid

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 25 2012, 7:01 pm by Ahli.

Oct 25 2012, 6:56 pm luzz Post #5

I like it.

None.

Oct 25 2012, 7:01 pm MadZombie Post #6

It's not terrible, It can't hurt, and I can't imagine it was hard to implement. This is fine.

None.

Oct 25 2012, 7:51 pm Pr0nogo Post #7

Sure, it's "fine". Shows you were their priorities are at, though. Hint: not fixing Battle.net 2.0.

Quote from Ahli
Also, what do you think are the biggest problems remaining in sc2? What should they tackle in your opinion?

Popularity system is still in effect.
"Fun Or Not" feature barely ever in use and never updated to be more rewarding or enticing.
Galaxy Editor is still needlessly complicated.
The engine is still uncompressed.
Resources are still harder than a boner to implement properly.
The game now streams map data rather than downloading it once and having it stay there.
The campaign's continuity is still disrupted and nothing has been done to address it, despite multiple opportunities to post-retail.
Melee/ladder skill ceiling is much lower than Brood War's; gameplay is less complex and, like the campaign, caters to a less intelligent audience. Cosmetic leveling systems like this further that issue.

I could go on and on. I suppose I should have just answered your question with my own: What did they tackle?

Oct 25 2012, 8:13 pm UnholyUrine Post #8

While it is disheartening to see Blizzard resorting to the old Skinner Box method...
it's not a bad change. Although it is definitely redundant if you think about all the rankings and stuff they've already put in.
This is just pure laziness and again, conservatism. Nothing new, and nothing creative :/

I definitely agree with pr0ngo.

There also could've been better ones/ways to do this...

The challenges they made that rewards you with portraits were pretty good.
They can simply incorporate those into a progression system. Which I think they did already.

If they were to introduce a leveling system, they need it to actually have some sort of meat... Maybe allow custom games apart from Ladder games, where the leveling system actually gives you stat points in which you can actually level up aspects of the game.
It'd be cool if the leveling system can affect the actual RTS game. Like I can level up and throw all my stats on build time, so everything builds extra fast or something like that. It doesn't need to be balanced, as it's not the Ladder game, so who cares? It's just something that veteran players can meddle with if they want to

Besides, who else is going to be HotS? Especially after the lackluster WoL, only diehard SC fans will buy it.. so why not treat them?

@Teamliquid poll
I'm glad that custom maps got second in the # of votes. It shows that people are still interested in map making.
With that poll, I can safely say that Blizzard really needs to get their priorities right... I mean, the fanbase has done all the HR work for them already.. they really need to get their heads out of their asses.

None.

Oct 26 2012, 1:15 am Ahli Post #9

I also found this reddit post with a list of things to come...

Oct 26 2012, 6:18 am NudeRaider Post #10

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from UnholyUrine
only diehard SC fans will buy it.. so why not treat them?
Diehard sc fans are old gamers that don't like getting low quality games shoved down their throats. The majority of gamers is youngsters that buy everything if it's in, flashy enough or advertised like crazy.
I don't like it anymore than you do, but we're an old fart minority group that game developers don't give a shit about.

Oct 26 2012, 1:06 pm LoveLess Post #11

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from NudeRaider
Quote from UnholyUrine
only diehard SC fans will buy it.. so why not treat them?
Diehard sc fans are old gamers that don't like getting low quality games shoved down their throats. The majority of gamers is youngsters that buy everything if it's in, flashy enough or advertised like crazy.
I don't like it anymore than you do, but we're an old fart minority group that game developers don't give a shit about.
Personally, I won't even be getting HotS. I rarely even get on SC2 anymore and when I do, it's just to see my friend's latest map.

None.

Oct 26 2012, 2:24 pm Pr0nogo Post #12

I don't think I'll be getting HotS. As much as I'd love to do a let's play of it and rant the entire time, it just isn't worth my time.

Oct 26 2012, 4:17 pm UnholyUrine Post #13

^
I'm pretty sure someone will do that XD

None.

Oct 26 2012, 4:30 pm LoTu)S Post #14

It's a good motivator for those who like achievements, so I see nothing wrong with it lol. Also looks like they're using different portraits so it'll be a good for people who already collected a lot of portraits in WoL.

It's better to actually get something after a 40 minute game and lose

None.

Oct 27 2012, 2:08 pm ClansAreForGays Post #15

You'll get a kick out of this http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=376512

Oct 27 2012, 6:14 pm UnholyUrine Post #16

^
That was a great read

but honestly nothing to do with this thread

None.

Options
  Back to forum