Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: STARCRAFT II: WoL HotS - Battle.net UI Update
STARCRAFT II: WoL HotS - Battle.net UI Update
Oct 19 2012, 3:11 am
By: Ahli  

Oct 19 2012, 3:11 am Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II: HotS - Battle.net UI Update
--- HOTS battle.net interface ---

Blizzard released a few screenshots of their new battle.net draft in their blog including some new described features. This includes a few exciting changes like stats to measure your performance on different maps or versus different races. The party size has been increased, too, to allow bigger parties for arcade games or bigger custom melee maps.

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment

While its impact to players may seem subtle, the out-of-game experience in StarCraft II can be just as important as the in-game experience. Our Battle.net statistics show that players spend about a third of their time in StarCraft II using the menus outside of a game. They might be browsing the latest Arcade games, checking out someone’s profile, reviewing the score screen of past games in their match history, or just chatting with some friends. It’s important to us to make this experience as streamlined and usable as possible.

The 1.5 patch we released a couple months ago was a major update that included several changes to the menus and the addition of the new Arcade experience. What you might not know is that many of the changes in 1.5 were actually slated to be a part of the Heart of the Swarm expansion. We felt that several features, including Arcade, would be of immediate benefit to players, and decided to release them earlier in the 1.5 patch. Since we weren’t done with the rest of Heart of the Swarm yet, we had to compromise in some areas of the menus to support these features. We weren’t really happy with how this added additional complexity to the menus.

Since then, we’ve continued to work on Heart of the Swarm, and we’ve made some big changes to improve the overall user experience. With the release of the next major Heart of the Swarm beta patch, we'd like to give you an advance look at those changes. These updates will become available to both Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm players once the expansion is live.

We had several design goals in mind with the changes you’ll see in the Heart of the Swarm beta: simplify navigation, increase consistency, and improve usability. We also added some more functionality along the way...

Gallery of Screenshots

Make sure you read the whole article here!

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Oct 25 2012, 6:33 pm by Ahli.

Oct 19 2012, 1:58 pm Pr0nogo Post #2

The more they simplify, the less I'll be playing. Some of the new functions might be nice, but they're not an excuse to redesign a UI they just redesigned.

Oct 19 2012, 2:32 pm Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Pr0nogo
The more they simplify, the less I'll be playing. Some of the new functions might be nice, but they're not an excuse to redesign a UI they just redesigned.
A lot of people were still criticizing the UI and they had to fit their new HotS features into it. Then they decided that it doesn't feel alright and started to design a new UI.

Also, we can spot a few unannounced aspects in the screenshots.
- number at player avatar (grinding to level up to unlock stuff like LoL?) [I've read somewhere that we might receive info about that next week...]

stuff that was already announced:
- clans

Oct 19 2012, 4:13 pm BlueWolf Post #4

Quote from Pr0nogo
Care to go more into detail as to why you won't be playing a game because of UI?

The changes are great. Like the post says, they got rid of some redundant things in the UI.

@Ahli, I hope it is a level up system like you say, and not a level up system like wc3.

None.

Oct 19 2012, 4:58 pm UnholyUrine Post #5

@BlueWolf

Let's not forget the anger and frustration with the very first installment of battle.net 2.
While it may be ungrateful and a bit ignorant of Pr0ngo, and indeed the majority of the people here, including me, to blast Blizzard for every change they make and every chance we get, don't forget that the core of the game has been corrupted and no amount of change will fix that.
Moreover, for a lot of us, no amount of change will have us forget the blasphemy of a game they gave us at the beginning.
They made an unfinished game, and any changes afterwards only feel like they've cheated us.

So please, don't ask questions such as "going into detail" or others that would incite arguments, or comments that try to be rhetorical by being seemingly ignorant just like the comment it is addressing. Because everyone here know well what the problem is.

With that said, the changes to the b.net 2 UI has long been overdue. So nothing special....

None.

Oct 19 2012, 5:02 pm Pr0nogo Post #6

It's more an issue of the entire game being simplified. I can understand that it seems like I rag on Blizzard every time they change something, but it's because pretty much every change they make is a poor one. If they made a good change, I might comment on it and I might not (in the same way that I might comment on a bad change, or I might not) - but I'll actually say that I think it was a positive change.

At this point, though, I don't have too much hope.

Oct 19 2012, 8:20 pm TiKels Post #7

Quote from UnholyUrine
don't forget that the core of the game has been corrupted and no amount of change will fix that.
Substantiate this.
Quote from UnholyUrine
Moreover, for a lot of us, no amount of change will have us forget the blasphemy of a game they gave us at the beginning.
If nothing in reality can change your belief then your belief is not based on reality.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Options
  Back to forum