Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: NaNoWriMo 2012
NaNoWriMo 2012
Oct 7 2012, 12:58 am
By: Fire_Kame  

Oct 7 2012, 12:58 am Fire_Kame Post #1

wth is starcraft

NaNoWriMo, also known as National Novel Writing Month, is an international event that calls upon writers to write 50,000 words over the course of November.

the Basic Rules
-The idea is to get to 50,000 words between the dates November 1st and November 30th...that is about 1667 words a day.
-It is against the rules to continue stories you have previously started (however, no one is going to kick you out of the competition - but the reasoning is sound for starting fresh).
-NaNoWriMo is about quantity over quality. It is to get writers in the habit of finishing a story before feeling the urge to go back and edit which can cause progress on a story to halt. It also familiarizes authors with deadlines.
-50,000 words is barely a novel in length; many contestants write more than 50k, but many authors continue their stories after November.
-To validate your word count you copy and paste your manuscript into a box on their site, and they tel you how many words you've written. If you are worried about them taking your story idea, it is perfectly acceptable to replace all of the letters with "e."
-That being said, it is very easy to cheat the system...but what's the point?
-If you "win" then your word count is replaced with a bar that says WINNER! on your profile and you get the ability to print a certificate saying you completed NaNoWriMo

I have been participating in it since 2004 - I didn't win last year but the three years before that I won, and I think this year I will win :D Here is my profile, if you are a part of the community add me: http://nanowrimo.org/en/participants/danoodlebox I hope someone else will join me...^^

Oct 7 2012, 4:44 am UnholyUrine Post #2

I've been training in writting as well
but 1667 words a day is a bit too much for me
plus, the prize kinda sucks

GL, kame :D

None.

Oct 8 2012, 3:57 am Fire_Kame Post #3

wth is starcraft

1667 words is a lot...especially if you fall off the wagon and forget to write a day. Ugh. It's almost impossible to make up.

But thanks. :) You should consider it at least. Even if you don't finish it will be nice to have company.

Options
  Back to forum