Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: StarCraft II - HotS: Balance Update #3
StarCraft II - HotS: Balance Update #3
Sep 21 2012, 10:34 am
By: Ahli  

Sep 21 2012, 10:34 am Ahli Post #1

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

STARCRAFT II: HotS - Balance Update #3
--- HOTS beta balance ---

Quote from Blizzard Entertainment

Protoss

Mothership Core
  • The cost of Purify is now 100.
  • The duration of Purify has been lowered to 25 seconds.
  • The damage of Purify has been increased from 25 to 45.

Oracle
  • Entomb’s duration has increased to 30 seconds.
  • The health of Entombed nodes has increased from 100 to 130.
  • The duration of Revelation has increased from 30 to 45 seconds.
  • We fixed a bug where the oracle was not correctly classified as a Psionic unit.

Terran

Battle Hellion
  • While in Battle mode, the hellion is now classified as a Biological unit.

Widow Mine
  • Splash damage has increased from 35 to 60.

Zerg

Viper
  • We fixed a bug where the viper was not correctly classified as a Psionic unit.
Source

Sep 21 2012, 2:41 pm Pr0nogo Post #2

lerl im a firebat naow

wheee wheee heal me medivac!

Sep 21 2012, 4:33 pm ClansAreForGays Post #3

I hope blizz just breaks eventually and adds lurker again.

Sep 21 2012, 6:13 pm TF- Post #4

πŸ€™πŸΎ

I hope they get a brain.

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Sep 25 2012, 6:10 pm Pr0nogo Post #5

Quote from TF-
I hope they get a brain.

Sep 25 2012, 6:15 pm UnholyUrine Post #6

While in Battle mode, the hellion is now classified as a Biological unit
:facepalm:

None.

Sep 25 2012, 9:21 pm TF- Post #7

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Quote from UnholyUrine
While in Battle mode, the hellion is now classified as a Biological unit
:facepalm:

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Sep 26 2012, 2:32 am Pr0nogo Post #8

This has led to the amazing 'fuck you, I can go into Bunkers' glitch. They structured the unit off of the campaign data for the Firebat, so Battle Hellions can go into Bunkers.

Sep 26 2012, 6:11 am TF- Post #9

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Quote from Pr0nogo
This has led to the amazing 'fuck you, I can go into Bunkers' glitch. They structured the unit off of the campaign data for the Firebat, so Battle Hellions can go into Bunkers.

If I recall, the only validators for units going into bunkers is a) Biological b) Terran, with Mechanical not being excluded because that would keep SCVs out.
I remember I made it so any zerg unit (even ultras) able to go into bunkers just by removing the Terran flag.

So they probably just never selected a Battle Hellion then right-clicked a bunker, nothing another retarded validator can't fix. Like how Feedback has a "Not Orbital Command and Not Nexus" validator.

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Sep 26 2012, 8:33 pm Pr0nogo Post #10

Rofl, rather than a "Not Structure" validator. Idiots.

I still find it funny that they referred to the issue as "something we're looking into and hope to solve soon". Like, really? They make it sound as if everything stumps them.

Sep 26 2012, 8:54 pm Aristocrat Post #11

Quote from Pr0nogo
Rofl, rather than a "Not Structure" validator. Idiots.

I still find it funny that they referred to the issue as "something we're looking into and hope to solve soon". Like, really? They make it sound as if everything stumps them.
I would like to be able to continue feedbacking point defense drones :/. A couple of Raven + Banshee following the bioball would suck to deal with otherwise if I couldn't use stalkers.

None.

Sep 27 2012, 1:14 am Pr0nogo Post #12

I don't think Point Defense Drones should be considered structures. That's a retarded line of thinking in and of itself. It's not a structure. An Auto-Turret has more business being called a structure than a Point Defense Drone.

Sep 27 2012, 6:15 am Aristocrat Post #13

Psi storm would wipe out PDDs then, as would a fungals and seeker missiles. Having it as a structure affects other aspects of the game as well (And I mean, it's immobile, so why can't it be a structure?)

None.

Sep 27 2012, 6:54 am TF- Post #14

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Increase its HP then, right now you have a 50HP "structure" that burns down and dies in a few seconds if it loses 35 or so.

When in doubt, don't completely fuck up the game's rules.

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Sep 27 2012, 12:51 pm Pr0nogo Post #15

And shit, why can't Psi Storm hurt it? The fucking thing is retarded anyways. Replace it with an AoE Disruption Web-style ability. Having a structure to sit there and do it in an AoE is a gimmick. Make the AoE thing have the same radius as the Point Defense Drone has range, and voi-fuckin-la - no more worrying about the imbalance of a STRUCTURE (or UNIT) acting as an ABILITY.

Sep 27 2012, 2:35 pm Aristocrat Post #16

Quote from TF-
Increase its HP then, right now you have a 50HP "structure" that burns down and dies in a few seconds if it loses 35 or so.

The point of a PDD is to be something that dies quickly if there are units that can attack it directly, or be something that dies quickly to a significant number of units attacking it such that if a few shots get through it dies. Giving the PDD too much HP would make taking them down a significant chore (as well as making feedback not actually kill it, although it would render the drone useless for 10 seconds).

Quote from Pr0nogo
And shit, why can't Psi Storm hurt it? The fucking thing is retarded anyways. Replace it with an AoE Disruption Web-style ability. Having a structure to sit there and do it in an AoE is a gimmick. Make the AoE thing have the same radius as the Point Defense Drone has range, and voi-fuckin-la - no more worrying about the imbalance of a STRUCTURE (or UNIT) acting as an ABILITY.
It seems that you have not actually played ladder, so allow me to explain to you why making a PDD into an ability would be imbalanced as hell.

A Point Defense Drone is meant to block a limited number of shots from the enemy, then leaving a structure to stand there that blocks one additional shot for every 10 in-game seconds that it isn't killed. Usually, the initial 20 shots blocked is the most significant. Against Protoss, each PDD placed by a Raven essentially negates 200-280 damage that my Stalkers do assuming upgrade parity. This is huge; Terran players who tech to Ravens in this matchup will almost always push with PDDs if their enemy's unit composition still has a large number of stalkers out of either necessity (vs. Raven + Banshee) or from prior commitment, making the outcome highly dependent on proper feedback play against stray Ravens or the placed PDDs, and good storms to either severely damage or push the Terran army back away from the PDDs to allow them to be feedbacked, letting my army regain ground.

Making the PDD into an ability akin to an ally-only Dark Swarm is going to give the Terran a "free push", which severely cripples the Protoss's options once a number of Ravens are in play. Being forced to retreat as soon as a PDD is laid down, having no options to negate it, is completely stupid. While Chargelots and Colossi would not be affected by PDD, they are hard countered by units that Terran can easily produce (Banshee/Viking), not to mention that at this stage in the game a tech switch from HT to Colossus is going to hurt the Protoss player a lot more than it hurts the Terran player, making it unfeasible.

None.

Sep 27 2012, 3:45 pm TF- Post #17

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Quote from Aristocrat
Quote from TF-

The point of a PDD is to be something that dies quickly if there are units that can attack it directly, or be something that dies quickly to a significant number of units attacking it such that if a few shots get through it dies. Giving the PDD too much HP would make taking them down a significant chore (as well as making feedback not actually kill it, although it would render the drone useless for 10 seconds).

I see, so the unit is made vulnerable because it must die quickly, then it's made a Structure because it shouldn't fall to abilities, then an exception is made for Feedback because it should fall to this one ability though. This is a tortuous design, it doesn't matter that it "works", it matters that it's a ball of band-aids instead of a design.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 27 2012, 4:06 pm by Ahli. Reason: fixed quite tags

πŸ€™πŸΎ

Sep 27 2012, 4:07 pm Pr0nogo Post #18

Quote from Aristocrat
It seems that you have not actually played ladder, so allow me to explain to you why making a PDD into an ability would be imbalanced as hell.

Try to be a bit less naive, bud.

Quote from Aristocrat
A Point Defense Drone is meant to block a limited number of shots from the enemy, then leaving a structure to stand there that blocks one additional shot for every 10 in-game seconds that it isn't killed. Usually, the initial 20 shots blocked is the most significant. Against Protoss, each PDD placed by a Raven essentially negates 200-280 damage that my Stalkers do assuming upgrade parity. This is huge; Terran players who tech to Ravens in this matchup will almost always push with PDDs if their enemy's unit composition still has a large number of stalkers out of either necessity (vs. Raven + Banshee) or from prior commitment, making the outcome highly dependent on proper feedback play against stray Ravens or the placed PDDs, and good storms to either severely damage or push the Terran army back away from the PDDs to allow them to be feedbacked, letting my army regain ground.

This is a retarded unit design. There is very little skill involved in just throwing down an AoE 'anti-Stalker/Phoenix' structure. Buff Ravens' health, let them toggle an autocast ability similar to/same as the Point Defense Drone. That makes Ravens the same amount of a nuisance without letting Terran players hide them behind their massive army of two or three other unit compositions. Voila, you've got yourself some lovely, slightly-more-skill-reliant spellcaster play involved. There's little to no difference in consumption of energy if you structure the ability like Banshee/Ghost Cloaking, with a one-time consumption cost to activate it and a continuous energy drain (though the drain would be dependent on the missiles absorbed, not the time in play).

Quote from Aristocrat
Making the PDD into an ability akin to an ally-only Dark Swarm is going to give the Terran a "free push", which severely cripples the Protoss's options once a number of Ravens are in play. Being forced to retreat as soon as a PDD is laid down, having no options to negate it, is completely stupid. While Chargelots and Colossi would not be affected by PDD, they are hard countered by units that Terran can easily produce (Banshee/Viking), not to mention that at this stage in the game a tech switch from HT to Colossus is going to hurt the Protoss player a lot more than it hurts the Terran player, making it unfeasible.

Protoss already has so little options v. Terran that late-game there should already be High Templar presences, unless the Terran player ISN'T teching to Starport (which is a big mistake considering how linear and co-dependent the Terran techtree is). Stalkers are hard-countered by Marauders/Siege Tanks anyways. Point Defense Drones just make them unable to shoot.

Options
  Back to forum