Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: What have you watched lately?
What have you watched lately?
Aug 14 2012, 4:15 pm
By: Fire_Kame  

Aug 14 2012, 4:15 pm Fire_Kame Post #1

wth is starcraft

What TV Show/Movie have you seen lately?

Last movie I saw in theaters: Brave, wasn't too much a fan of it. I thought the father and brothers were funny, but the plot lacked the same depth other Disney/Pixar movies have. I think it had to do with the suitors, or that the big bad guy wasn't really lurking in the corners.

Last TV Show: We finished the PowerPuff Girls last night. I never realized how much I love the Professor until I watched it again. He is the most interesting man in the world.

Movie/TV Show I plan to see: I don't actually have an answer for this, but I bet you do! XD Nothing looks particularly good in theaters. Although I do have Firefly in my apartment now, so I could watch that tonight if I wanted. I haven't seen it yet. :hurr:

Aug 15 2012, 5:24 pm Sacrieur Post #2

Still Napping

Brave just wasn't as magical as the rest of Pixar's stuff, lacked the fantastic quality all of its other movies had. I think the diaglogue was a bit dry too; and in honestly, the whole thing felt like a Disney cop-out movie. Which makes me wonder with the release of Cars 2 and this, if Disney isn't becoming more actively involved in Pixar's creations -- and subsequently ruining them.

I finished watching Battlestar Galactica, for some reason. It just had an intricate plot and good enough storytelling than most crap I see on TV.

There are a few new anime series I'd like to see, maybe I'll start on those when I'm ready. I really can't do more than one project/thing at a time, like play through two video games at once or work on a map and watch a series. It's either one, or the other, not both, so I can churn through a series pretty fast, I just can't do it while I'm interested in something else because I'll either start it and lose interest or lose interest in what I was doing.

None.

Aug 15 2012, 7:38 pm NudeRaider Post #3

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Finding Nemo (so cute)
Iron Sky (hilarious parody)

Game of Thrones (epic for a TV series)
True Blood (fascinating fantasy world, bonus points for the music)

Sac I saw you and Mesk bashing BSG the other day in the shoutbox and I have no idea why. It has great main actors, exciting plot and a way of addicting you to the show which I can't really describe. The relationships and dilemmas the humans have to face are really fascinating. Plus I love space setting and space battles (but I'd even recommend the show to non-SciFi fans)
As far as I could tell your main complaints were about the story (which I don't understand at all) and that the machines are religious. The latter sure is weird, but not in a negative way. It's a creative idea. (imo)
dl;dr BSG is one of the most well made serial I've seen.

Aug 15 2012, 7:40 pm O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #4

👻 👾 👽 💪

Quote from Fire_Kame
Although I do have Firefly in my apartment now, so I could watch that tonight if I wanted. I haven't seen it yet. :hurr:
Do it! I watched Firefly and Serenity for the first time recently... When it was over I was so disappointed that there wasn't more. :P
If you like it, I suggest trying to draw it out because it's so short ..

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Aug 15 2012, 7:50 pm Fire_Kame Post #5

wth is starcraft

Quote from Sacrieur
Brave just wasn't as magical as the rest of Pixar's stuff, lacked the fantastic quality all of its other movies had. I think the diaglogue was a bit dry too; and in honestly, the whole thing felt like a Disney cop-out movie. Which makes me wonder with the release of Cars 2 and this, if Disney isn't becoming more actively involved in Pixar's creations -- and subsequently ruining them.

Speaking of Cars 2...I got the feeling the spy plot was almost a Bond plot they decided to put into car form..which made it silly, but if you pretend they're people a lot of people die.

And then the red car...I honestly can't remember his name...McCool? ... ruined everything in that movie. Not trolling.

Also, I just saw the trailer for the new Red Dawn:

And now I want to see it when it's out :D

Aug 16 2012, 12:40 am Sacrieur Post #6

Still Napping

Sac I saw you and Mesk bashing BSG the other day in the shoutbox and I have no idea why. It has great main actors, exciting plot and a way of addicting you to the show which I can't really describe. The relationships and dilemmas the humans have to face are really fascinating. Plus I love space setting and space battles (but I'd even recommend the show to non-SciFi fans)
As far as I could tell your main complaints were about the story (which I don't understand at all) and that the machines are religious. The latter sure is weird, but not in a negative way. It's a creative idea. (imo)
dl;dr BSG is one of the most well made serial I've seen.

It's probably due to the quantity of quality anime that I've seen (Steins;Gate, Spice & Wolf, etc.) that make me judge it more harshly. Sorry, but the plot, storytelling, and characters just aren't on the same level -- and I still do claim that BSG still does great in all of these areas.

There were a few scenes where the script was intended to be comedy, but it doesn't come off that way, and the characters were acting too seriously or the setting was improper to make it work. Personally love a bit of a realistic touch, but there was a definite lack of a certain kind of person in the fleet (my kind of person, speaking generally). All of the characters with the exception of Adama, Zarek, and a few cylons were fairly religious, so there is no one to suggest the obvious that sentience and person-hood could very well exist in machines, at least not tackle the question head-on.

Which is a damn shame too, not really exploring that philosophical dilemma to its full extent, which would have been largely entertaining. Instead I feel the characters that did were only acting that way as a part of plot device -- it all seemed so fake.

None.

Aug 17 2012, 4:33 pm Fire_Kame Post #7

wth is starcraft

Most recently watched now is Community Season 3. We went out to look for a good movie to take home last night....all the new releases really suck right now. :(

Options
  Back to forum