Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: StarCraft: Apocalypse
StarCraft: Apocalypse
Jul 18 2012, 6:41 pm
By: Spatharas  

Jul 18 2012, 6:41 pm Spatharas Post #1

This upcoming mod drastically changes the way StarCraft is played, especially with technology.

Story: Taking place long after the characters of StarCraft 1 and 2, the campaign of StarCraft: Apocalypse is about the wars between 3 factions. The survivors are the few remaining Terran and Protoss left, the Infested are a network of Zerg Broods that focus on infesting, and the Hybrids are deadly comination of Protoss and Zerg.

Gameplay Basics: Focusing on small, strategic battles, units are created from the starting building. The starting building cannot be replaced, making it a primary target. Technology is a bit more straitforward, with each faction getting four buildings that act as a tech tree (it's easier to understand when you play the mod). Because the starting building cannot be built, expansion buildings exhist to replace their role. Each race can train 9 units and build 8 buildings. The purpose for this was to put more attention towards units that did more than a plethora of units that had minor roles. For example, while the comsat station no longer exhists, its role is replaced by the Arbiter, who in addition to his previous abilities, can use his ability, "scry", which has the same effect. Likewise, the Death Hybrid has 5 abilities, such as Mind Control, Irradiate, and Consume. In addition, abilities such as plague that are not seen in any race will serve as unique units in the campaign.

Races

Survivors: With Nukes, Arbiters, and strong infantry, the Survivors have the notable advantage of needing few Supply Depots. Their units are...
SCV: The basic builder/ gatherer.
Marine: Requiring a Barracks, these are cost efficient and quickly trained.
Medic: Requiring an Academy, Medics are vital during the mid-game, and benefit Stim Packed Marines and Firebats the most.
Destroyer: Requiring an Armory, the Protoss Destroyer is effective at taking out buildings and air units.
Firebat: Requiring an Armory and Barracks, the Firebat excells at killing groups of weaker units, and can make a bunker practically Zergling proof.
Ghost: Requiring an Armory and Academy, the Ghost has abilities such as cloaking, lockdown, and EMP. Late game, Ghosts call down nukes. In addition, they support with long range sniper fire.
Observer: Requiring a Starport, Observers are vital to taking out enemy Ghosts, Infested Ghosts, and Death Hybrids. They also make great scouts.
Arbiter: Requiring a Starport and Barracks, Arbiters lack damage and health, but make up for it with strong abilities. Arbiters cloak nearby units, can teleport forces to his location, Scry locations, and even freeze units, preventing them from moving, attacking, or taking damage.
Carrier: Requiring a Starport and Academy, Carriers can quickly build a force of Interceptors, passively attacking from a distance.

Infested: With durable units and low costs, the Infested focus on a strong force of tanky units.
Drone: The basic gatherer that morphs into buildings.
Zergling: Requiring a Gene Pool, these units are used in early game rushes and hunting down units such as Destroyers. They are innefective againts buildings and uncommon lategame.
Queen: Requiring a Gene Chamber, Queen's are improved overlords, providing not only control and detection, but spell casting abilities as well. They are also faster than Overlords, but more expensive as well.
Scourge: Requiring a Basic Node, Scourges are fast cloaked kamikaze air units. The catch is that their sight is extremely low, and are killed in one hit.
Infested Marine: Requiring a Basic Node and Gene Pool, Infested Marines have the same attack as regular Marines, but are much more durable, and expensive.
Infested Firebat: Requiring a Basic Node and Gene Chamber, Infested Firebats have a powerful suicide attack, effective against groups of units and buildings.
Ultralisk: Requiring an Advanced Node, Ultralisks are extremely durable, groups of these can sometimes charge through an enemies defences and take out the starting building.
Infested Protoss: Requiring an Advanced Node and Gene Pool, Infested Zealots are strong against ground targets.
Infested Ghost: Requiring an Advanced Node and Gene Chamber, Infested Ghosts break the norms with low health but a strong fast attack and the ability to cloak.

Hybrids: Focusing on strong attacks and abilities, the Hybrids have a weak defence but a powerful offense.
Drone: Same as Infested version.
Hydralisk: Requiring a Gene Pool, Hydralisks infuse their attacks with Psionic energy, they make up the core of the Hybrid ground force.
Overlord: Requiring a Gene Chamber, Overlords are the detectors and control providers for the Hybrids. They can even transport units, and are durable for the cost.
Mutalisk: Requiring a Basic Node, Mutalisks are effective in harassing workers.
Guardian: Requiring a Basic Node and Gene Pool, Guardians can destroy buildings from long range, but are vulnerable to air to air attacks.
Devourer: Requiring a Basic Node and Gene Chamber, Devourer attacks have a slowing effect on enemy attacks, and make them vulnerable to damage, making Mutalisks more effective.
Death Hybrid: Requiring an Advanced Node, Death Hybrids combine strong spells with deadly attacks. They are easy to kill, however.
Storm Hybrid: Requiring an Advanced Node and Gene Pool, Storm Hybrids fly around the battlefield and deal tremendous damage to units and building alike.
Blood Hybrid: Requiring an Advanced Node and Gene Chamber, Blood Hybrids have 5 useful abilities, such as Irradiate and Mind Control.

Campaign

The campaign will be released much later than the mod is finished.

The mod is currently unfinished however I have a playable version up, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Attachments:
Mod.exe
Hits: 6 Size: 286.49kb

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 19 2012, 1:38 am by Spatharas.

None.

Sep 8 2012, 9:20 am Raygoza Post #2

Hi this is a reply to what I just red about your mod.
By the way which version of StarCraft are you supposed to run it with?

You know, everything doesn't have to be locked into three races only, myself I find the Hybrids and the infested seeming a bit close because they both do run zerg infestation but in different extents.
Since it seems you cleared a lot of units and buildings that means that you have plenty of room to add more things.
I suggest the infested to have two factions which you choose in between while playing and having them separated in the way that you can't choose both of them.
One of these factions could be focusing heavily on infested Terran units (you would have to make the infested unit appearance though), the Dark Evolution mod has nice infested graphics for buildings, make sure to credit them if you use their material.
You may not want to bother contacting them, I already tried and got no reply from them.

Anyway thinking about this the infestation and the hybrids, both could have the same start but at some point something has to keep them a part, If you can make two things which you have to choose in between but can't have both this could work, this way you get all zerg related into one race.
I got an other idea I like, implement two factions at the Protoss, Khala and the Void, Void being more at spell casting and strategies while Khala would be more force strength focused with heavy units. In this case I think that the best way to keep the factions apart would be research, all units and buildings the two factions have in common would not have any special requirement, but all the things that belongs to one faction would require it's research too including upgrades, also upgrades that belongs to one faction which are located at buildings the two factions have in common.
This split has to be better than the SC mission in the campaign in which you couldn't get any High templars, Archons and other stuff that actually belongs to the Khala. (This split would require and addition of units and requiring the original Protoss tech tree more or less)
In moddb the Revolution mod could be used as a great base for your mod, though you'll need permission for it, something to note about that mod is that it's using plugins to accomplish with things, Protoss specifically having Chrono boost, shields that recharge as in SC2 which is after not talking damage they start recharging pretty fast, resource rallypoints which works for all races.
What units they'll have in Common, zealot, Dragoon, High Templar, Observer, shuttle, perhaps Reavers too, Scout, the Sentry too if you want to keep it.
Void: Stalker (in this case the Dragoon should be at Khala), Zealot charge ability could be implemented, Feedback spell for High templars, Dark Templars, Corsair,
Void Ray (suggestion).
Khala: Allowing Archon meld, Immortal (suggestion if you can do it), Dragoon (only if Stalker is at Void otherwise not belonging to a faction),
Immortal (If you can create it more or less properly), Carrier.
The mod has a zealot research called rage, suggesting giving it to Khala and adding the zealot charge ability for the void. I also suggest that the Khala faction would make use of SC1 shield regeneration which is slow and constant and making use of shield Batteries which shouldn't be available for Void.

I notice that these changes would be very different from what you thought of your mod, but it would be true to StarCraft, according to the Apocalypse i SC2 is if Kerrigan dies all Protoss will fall for the Dark Voice which used Hybrids and zergs to defeat the player. Technically there's no fault in splitting the Protoss into two factions, when thinking about it it seems very unlikely that a Protoss force would have full access to both Khala and Void at the same time.
Anyway I suggest the void faction in the end to be able to merge Dark Templars with High Templars creating a Twilight Archon.
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Twilight_archon
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Twilight_%28psionics%29

About the survivors don't you think you are merging Protoss and Terrans units too much?
I get the idea of alliances but this is merging both into one race and excluding many things, Terrans are very notable by Siege Tanks, it's like an iconic symbol of their versatility and mobile firepower which can used both offensive and defensive and Protoss fighting with honor and brute force.

In any case according to the real apocalypse the Terrans were assimilated into the swarm meaning that the Protoss were the only ones to stand against the dark voice which commanded the Hybrids and the zerg. Note that if you're going to create an infested Terran race you shouldn't have units which are very tech based like the Siege Tank, with all it's movable parts the infestation would only make it immobile, if you still want siege tanks you could make some infested siege tanks in siege mode which works as heavy turrets with great destructive power and more armor and hit points, note that they are immobile and cannot transform into tank mode.
Units which I'd like to see at an infested Terran race is the Melee fighting infested Terran, Infested Marine, possible the suicidal version too, infested Vulture, infested Goliath, infested Ghost, infested science vessel, infested Wraith, infested Battle Cruiser (suggesting the Fusion mod's version).

I notice that this would be intirely different from how you'd imagine your mod to be, but this could be a good way to make the mod.
As it is an apocalypse I don't see how my ideas wouldn't work, your idea is good as well but may not fit for an apocalypse with a very limited number of units and using lots of spells, I mean it wouldn't really characterize the razes in my opinion. I really hope this doesn't offend you because that was never my point.
I'm merely suggesting how to make something that according to me is more appropriate for an apocalypse besides staying true to the story.

I never said that you are trying to do that and I'm not saying you can't do this, develop your mod as you want, myself I would be glad if someone got to me with a detailed description on what could be good to do if I was developing a mod, however the final call is from you, what will you do?
You do know that your mod my be fun to play even if it wouldn't be entirely true to the story nor the races.

None.

Sep 8 2012, 1:22 pm Rye123 Post #3

Yea actually we could take the concept of Ad Astra's faction buttons for selecting the mini-race.

None.

Sep 10 2012, 8:41 pm Raygoza Post #4

Since it seems you wont be using all buildings to keep the race's complete you can split up almost each race into several factions each one having a own set of special things unavailable for other factions or races.
This could make you use all the room for units and buildings you have room for and the factions within the race would share the starting buildings and only go for different specializations and maybe sharing something more with the other factions within it's race.

None.

Options
  Back to forum