Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Should Mapping Contests Include Mods?
Should Mapping Contests Include Mods?
Jun 20 2012, 12:18 am
By: Pr0nogo  

Jun 23 2012, 7:54 pm Pr0nogo Post #21

This isn't about my skill set, please be intelligent.

Jun 23 2012, 8:18 pm samsizzle Post #22

how did you rationalize this... It's like someone is hosting a PANCAKE breakfast, everyone fuckin loves PANCAKES.. anyone can go to the breakfast, but you're gonna get PANCAKES because its a PANCAKE breakfast. You can't fucking go to the PANCAKE breakfast and ask for fucking CREPES just because you like CREPES better or whatever. The point I'm trying to make is if you want CREPES, host a CREPE breakfast.. don't go to a PANCAKE breakfast and complain about how they don't have CREPES.

None.

Jun 23 2012, 11:49 pm Pr0nogo Post #23

But I'm not complaining about how they don't have crepes, I'm complaining that it's more of a BAKERY CONTEST or a PASTRY CONTEST than a PANCAKE ONLY CONTEST. It leaves wiggle room for me to say 'instead of just having PANCAKES ONLY, I'll have PANCAKES AND CREPES.' I'm not asking for mandatory MODS MUST BE ALLOWED!11!! rules, I'm just asking for a little more acceptance of mods in contests. Everyone seems against them - not just for mapping contests. It's as if all the PANCAKE pastry chefs despise CREPES.

You further cloud the issue (and show your lack of understanding, as well) when you contend that I like crepes/mods better than pancakes/maps, when in fact I view them as equally important pieces, despite the fact that maps will almost always require more work than mod components. It's as if the map is the pancake batter, and the mod is just the seasoning or milk or whatever shit you add to pancake batter to make it pancakes. Heat? I dunno, you know what I mean. It completes the experience for me - much like syrup does for waffles. Without the syrup, it's just a plain-ass waffle. I want my connoisseurs to eat more than just plain-ass waffles - I want them to have fuckin' syrup!

Jun 23 2012, 11:56 pm Jack Post #24

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

The contest which started this argument was a PANCAKE contest, not a BAKING one.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 24 2012, 12:35 am Pr0nogo Post #25

The argument has been here forever, it just never had a forum for discussion until I decided to go out of my way to make a thread. The contest thread that, in the end, decided it ultimately was not originally a strictly-pancake contest, and had the air of a general baking one.

Jun 24 2012, 12:37 am lil-Inferno Post #26

Just here for the pie

Quote from Pr0nogo
The argument has been here forever.
It's also a pointless argument. Historically whenever mods were allowed in mapping contests, no one utilized them.

Jun 24 2012, 12:45 am Sacrieur Post #27

Still Napping

Because it's a damn hassle and little incentive to win.

None.

Jun 24 2012, 3:13 am Pr0nogo Post #28

Because nobody used them in the past, any chance of using them in the future was removed? I'd like to know where the logic is behind that. It shows a severe lack of foresight to believe that nobody will EVER use them based on history. That's like going out of your way to restrict a benign mutation on an organism, when in the future its purpose might come into play again.

Jun 24 2012, 6:40 pm Jim_Raynor Post #29

My name is Church.

Quote from lil-Inferno
Quote from Pr0nogo
The argument has been here forever.
It's also a pointless argument. Historically whenever mods were allowed in mapping contests, no one utilized them.
Not really true. Every completed entry in Dem0nS1ayer's Longer than Usual Mapping Contest had a mod.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Jul 18 2012, 1:20 am Sand Wraith Post #30

she/her

Historically whenever mods were allowed in mapping contests, no one utilized them.

This is stupid as basis for a decision to forbid mods and you know it.

Jul 18 2012, 2:07 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #31

Quote from samsizzle
"wah wah, people aren't hosting contests based on my skill set!" I'm jus gonna say what everyone is thinking. How could you make a debate about this... If you want a modding contest, host one. The majority of people that still do anything creative with SC1 are mappers, therefore mapping contests. Stop being difficult.

^ Agreed.

Pronogo, why are you making a big deal about this? The host of a contest will allow whatever they want so if you want a modding contest go host one.

None.

Jul 18 2012, 2:09 am DevliN Post #32

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Pronogo, why are you making a big deal about this? The host of a contest will allow whatever they want so if you want a modding contest go host one.
He is hosting one.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jul 18 2012, 4:14 am Pr0nogo Post #33

And as predicted, it isn't doing well, which leaves no real cause for me to host them in the first place.

Jul 18 2012, 7:07 am CecilSunkure Post #34

I don't care. I'd rather see a finished product than to inhibit someone from submitting something.

None.

Jul 18 2012, 9:22 am Sand Wraith Post #35

she/her

I just lost a good post because my device ran out of RAM, so I'm going to keep this short.

StarCraft is dying. Modding is a zombie and mapping is probably losing a lot of steam. A lot of veterans have simply moved on. People should just start working together on either collaborative projects or to create general contests permitting both crafts to be used.

Ultimately, contests are pretty stupid anyway - at least the last dozen or so. They're all just circlejerks with the same few people complaining about how far behind they are on progress. They should be bringing in new blood or reviving people's interests in StarCraft's creative scene.

If you can't accomplish that, StarCraft is as good as dead and buried.

EDIT:

To address the thread's title: No, mapping contest should generally not include mods unless the creator permits it.

Whether we should be holding map exclusive contests is another question.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 18 2012, 10:25 am by Sand Wraith.

Options
  Back to forum