Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: The NOMAD Saga
The NOMAD Saga
Jun 13 2012, 9:02 pm
By: Jim_Raynor  

Jun 19 2012, 3:33 pm Jim_Raynor Post #21

My name is Church.

Oh_Man, why does the terrain have to be extended to look good and have lots of attention put into it? Pr0 and I have put a lot of effort into the terrain, extended just isn't our style. I still think isometric terrain can look as good - if not better in some cases - as extended terrain.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Jun 19 2012, 4:54 pm Oh_Man Post #22

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Isometric terrain has more limitations than extended terrain. But making extended terrain is a lot harder than using the isometric brush.

Jun 19 2012, 5:00 pm Pr0nogo Post #23

From the first map;

Hey look extended terrain in all of those shots.

tl;dr if you can't accept that GENERIC VANILLA TERRAIN can easily look good and doesn't need any blends then you need to stop posting in this thread. If you can accept that or agree to disagree and not talk about this anymore then kindly move on to review some other part of the project.

Until I decide my own terrain looks sub-par I will not rely on your feedback about how isometric or GENERIC VANILLA it is because that's a retarded way to gauge campaign terrain quality. I already include plenty of custom stuff like trees in the water and lowered high dirt. Even more of that kind of stuff is featured in maps we haven't revealed yet. You judging the campaign's terrain style like that is blatantly stupid.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2012, 11:29 pm by Roy. Reason: Less flames

Jun 19 2012, 5:09 pm Jim_Raynor Post #24

My name is Church.

calm yourself pr0!
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Some people will like it and some won't.
However, Oh_Man, I have to agree on one point with Pr0 - as my opinion on this won't change, this conversation isn't getting very far, so I would like to hear your opinions on other parts of the project.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Jun 19 2012, 6:41 pm IskatuMesk Post #25

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from Oh_Man
OK, wow, didn't realise so many people didn't know this.

Starcraft terrainers distinguish terrain usually in three different ways.
Isometric terrain, or 'vanilla' terrain - which is just the basic terrain you get from using the vanilla editor.
Square terrain - no attempt at blending is made, can't be done with vanilla editor.
Extended terrain - using the benefits of the non-vanilla editors to craft terrain not possible with the vanilla editor while making it blend.

So, when I am saying isometric terrain I am saying it looks like there was little attention made towards the terrain and you used only the generic vanilla terrain.

Yeah, and people brought this up in the shoutbox. I already knew what you were talking about, I wanted to make a point. My point is, at no point does Starcraft terrain become "not" isometric. What you're talking about is basically brushes. The tiles you're still using, and the elements you're still creating with them, are isometric. Every single blend example map I've yet to download and use is isometric. Every RPG is isometric. This is inescapable unless you redo all of the sprites (I can only recall one mod that did this).

Blending and extending have pretty much nothing to do with isometrics. They are avoiding the boardering mechanism of Staredit's brush. Diablo 2 works exactly like this, and many other games are similar or have similar functionality. That doesn't mean anything in the end, especially to the player, because they're still playing an isometric game. You are merely changing how you are placing the individual tiles.

Now if you had said, "I would like to see more varied brush work, using blends/extended..." then I would 100% understand and agree. But whining about "omg the terrain is isometric" comes off as uneducated at the very best. It's a gripe I've had with the naming conventions for a long time.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 19 2012, 8:45 pm Oh_Man Post #26

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Sure there is some nice extended terrain in those screenies but I said it looked like the vanilla iso terrain based off watching the video.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2012, 11:29 pm by Roy. Reason: Removed spam/flame

Jun 19 2012, 8:59 pm BiOAtK Post #27

Fuck off, man. Their terrain is great looking, and it's a campaign, not some *** Dyne map that needs fancy terrain. Sheesh.

None.

Options
  Back to forum