Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: 1-Week Summer Contest (Discussion)
1-Week Summer Contest (Discussion)
May 7 2012, 5:19 pm
By: Kaias
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >

May 14 2012, 11:11 pm Dem0n Post #41

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Don't do it from June 20-26th please. Gonna be on vacation. Yellowstone.. yay... Anyone know if that's any fun? >_>

May 15 2012, 12:57 am Hublo Post #42

I propose May 21st for a one-week contest :jaff:

None.

May 15 2012, 1:29 am Dem0n Post #43

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

"1-Week Summer Contest." A lot of people still have school at the end of May. Just calm down, man; it'll happen eventually.

May 16 2012, 6:39 am Kaias Post #44

So far I'm pleased with the number of people willing to participate. Right now I'm thinking early July is the best time to do this- perhaps starting July 8th.

The genre needs to be finalized. Earlier in the thread I suggested we make it another RPG contest but I'm open to other ideas. I want to hear your opinions (and I may throw a poll up later).

None.

May 17 2012, 1:04 am samsizzle Post #45

I'm gonna say RPG/Adventure. Allows for a wide variety of maps and interesting systems.

None.

May 17 2012, 12:47 pm Jack Post #46

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Make the theme Combat or Action, gves us a huge amount to work with :P

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 17 2012, 4:15 pm Azrael Post #47

I think the livestream sounds like a good idea.

I'd like definitive rules about how much you're allowed to use from previous maps, and which maps are acceptable to use. I wouldn't be opposed in the least to requiring all original content. It doesn't seem entirely fair for one person to spend a day making fantastic terrain, and another taking ten seconds to rip it from a preexisting map.

If we can take terrain and triggers and whatever else we feel like from previous maps, then people should be allowed to make a map in the meantime with the systems they want to use in them. Although, I'd prefer seeing a one week contest in which the content is created within a single week.

May 17 2012, 5:10 pm Sacrieur Post #48

Still Napping

I'm with Az.

None.

May 18 2012, 12:50 am Kaias Post #49

Quote from Azrael
I think the livestream sounds like a good idea.

I'd like definitive rules about how much you're allowed to use from previous maps, and which maps are acceptable to use. I wouldn't be opposed in the least to requiring all original content. It doesn't seem entirely fair for one person to spend a day making fantastic terrain, and another taking ten seconds to rip it from a preexisting map.

If we can take terrain and triggers and whatever else we feel like from previous maps, then people should be allowed to make a map in the meantime with the systems they want to use in them. Although, I'd prefer seeing a one week contest in which the content is created within a single week.

I think you should be able to copy small portions of terrain (like doodads or a ridge) over from another map. Pieces no bigger a few tiles in size. This is practically a necessity for extended terrain. Obviously you aren't allowed to just copy the entire terrain over from another map one chunk at a time. Terrain shouldn't be a replica of any other map.

How does that sound?

For anyone who is in favor of allowing participants to copy some triggers over, what kind of rule would you define?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 23 2012, 2:26 am by Kaias.

None.

May 18 2012, 1:08 am Oh_Man Post #50

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Meh shouldn't matter. Do whatever it takes to make a great map and then by judged solely on the end product.

But this is just our different perspectives: I don't really care about "fair" I just want to play really good maps.

May 18 2012, 1:25 am The Starport Post #51

Quote from Oh_Man
Meh shouldn't matter. Do whatever it takes to make a great map and then by judged solely on the end product.

But this is just our different perspectives: I don't really care about "fair" I just want to play really good maps.
Yeah, that's more my perspective. But more simply because if you're needing to plaster rules everywhere, you're probably just doing something wrong in general.

I don't plan to use any external prefab triggers, terrain, or EUDs, by the way.

None.

May 18 2012, 1:49 am Roy Post #52

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Kaias
For anyone who is in favor of allowing participants to copy some triggers over, what kind of rule would you define?
Any well-defined generic system should be able to be taken from an existing map if your map requires it, I'd say; anything that could be put into the Theories and Ideas subforum as a proof-of-concept should be able to be transferred and tweaked to fit into your map.

Quote from Azrael
If we can take terrain and triggers and whatever else we feel like from previous maps, then people should be allowed to make a map in the meantime with the systems they want to use in them.
Well, we can easily take the criteria to the extremes. Using a generation program or trigger duplicator could be considered cheating, because you're not really building the system yourself. What's the difference between using a program to generate a location grid system versus taking one from an existing map and tweaking it to fit your map's needs?

If you're going to reply saying that generation programs are different than taking pieces directly from other maps, then I'll just write a program that creates all my map's triggers for me, so when the competition starts I can just run the program and have most of my work already done. Would this be any more acceptable? Of course not.

Really, I think recycling should be a personal judgement call: if you feel like you're cheating or being unfair, you're breaking the rule. Unless we strictly enforce the live stream rules and have at least one person watching each participant's streams, we couldn't prove someone was cheating anyway.

Although I couldn't care less if we decide we're not allowed to take any triggers from maps; I don't have any systems that I'd use for my idea. For one part, I've already made a similar system, but the refactoring costs alone would make it pointless to try to copy it over and reuse it.

TL;DR: Play fair when recycling. Use the spirit of the rule rather than the letter of it.

May 23 2012, 2:55 am Kaias Post #53

I think Roy summed it up well.

Current slate: (any objections/suggestions say so)
Begin date: July 8th (Sunday)
Length: 1 Week
Genre: Adventure/RPG
Theme: None?
Rules:
- No mods, no EUD Actions enabler
- (Normal) EUDs allowed
- No teams
- Some (minimal) recycling from old maps allowed (play fair)

Create a fresh map on the start date and turn it in by the end of the last day. I should like it if people upload their maps in progress at the end of each day if they aren't livestreaming. Participants should also plan their time wisely so that they can get their map done by the time it's due. For the record, I'll be utilizing a macro triggerer and I highly recommend anyone who hasn't tried Macrotriggers (or something similar) to do so; it can be very useful in speeding up the triggering process and its pretty simple. http://www.staredit.net/topic/2970/

I would like to be able to make a custom page on SEN (not just a thread) for the contest if at all possible.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 23 2012, 3:08 am by Kaias.

None.

May 23 2012, 3:36 am Roy Post #54

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Quote from Kaias
Eh, do we really need to limit the genre to something with a story? I mean, it sounds like the purpose of the competition is to put your best foot forward and make the best map you're capable of making within a week. If it just so happens that it's some revolutionary sandbox or arcade-style game, why should it not be allowed?

I bring this up mostly because I know one or two people that will definitely not participate if the genre is set for an RPG. Whether they will participate without that restriction, however, is also questionable.

May 23 2012, 6:36 am Kaias Post #55

Quote from Roy
Quote from Kaias
Eh, do we really need to limit the genre to something with a story? I mean, it sounds like the purpose of the competition is to put your best foot forward and make the best map you're capable of making within a week. If it just so happens that it's some revolutionary sandbox or arcade-style game, why should it not be allowed?

I bring this up mostly because I know one or two people that will definitely not participate if the genre is set for an RPG. Whether they will participate without that restriction, however, is also questionable.
As I've said, this thread is for figuring out what we should do, so nothing is set in stone. I asked about the genre and only Samsizzle responded so I took that as general consent/apathy. I would like to know who you're referring to though, and what their input is.

None.

May 23 2012, 6:39 am Jack Post #56

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I'm not sure I want to make an RPG in a week, a minigame or something I would prefer.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

May 23 2012, 2:36 pm Oh_Man Post #57

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Well Autocracy was made in 24 hours wasn't it? It is possible.

May 23 2012, 4:14 pm Biophysicist Post #58

Still, no real point in limiting genre...?

None.

May 23 2012, 5:10 pm DevliN Post #59

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Oh_Man
Well Autocracy was made in 24 hours wasn't it? It is possible.
No one is questioning if it is possible. It's more a matter of people don't want to be limited to that genre.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

May 25 2012, 5:23 pm Cinolt Post #60

There should be some sort of theme restriction, that's relatively specific and announced by a nonparticipant at the start of the contest, to prevent working on a map before it starts and pretending to reconstruct it from scratch; basically I think the conceptual as well as the actual mapmaking should both start at the start of the contest.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 58 >
  Back to forum