Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: WHO WANTS TO PLAY DND? :D
WHO WANTS TO PLAY DND? :D
Mar 1 2012, 2:27 am
By: FatalException
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 717 >

Mar 3 2012, 7:46 am Positively Post #81

Quote from DevliN
Skills depend on your Int and level (2 + Int modifier). Feats depend on your level (you get 1 at level 1 and another at level 3).

So based on your last stats posted, at level 3 you should have 9 skill points and 2 Feats. If your favored class is a Cleric, you can also add either an extra skill point or hit point per level as well.

Once again, thank you.

Skills :
Sense Motive 1
Spellcraft 2
Appraise 1
Diplomacy 2
Heal 3

Feats :
Eclectic
Self-Sufficient

None.

Mar 3 2012, 10:13 am DevliN Post #82

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I read up on Humans and Clerics in Pathfinder specifically a bit to see if you were missing anything, and there are a few things to consider:

ABILITY POINTS
As a Human, you actually get to put 2 points into any Ability score you want as a racial bonus. Most recently you said you wanted STR 7, DEX 12, CON 10, INT 12, WIS 17, CHA 15. You may want to do STR 8, DEX 10, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 19, CHA 14 instead (putting the 2 bonus points into Wisdom). With this combination, your STR mod is -1 rather than -2, you get some bonus HP from your CON mod, your WIS mod will be +4 instead of +3, and you'd still have the same +2 CHA mod. This also sets you up to add a point to WIS when you hit level 4, for a +5 modifier.

FEATS
Humans also grant a bonus Feat at level 1, so you should have 3 total. I suggest you don't do Eclectic since that wont affect you unless you multiclass into three separate classes. Self-sufficient is a great choice, though, as Heal may come in handy. You may want to consider something like Empower Spell (note that this only affects a spell of your choice rather than empowering all spells you cast) or Spell Focus (again, only affects one spell) or something from the Channeling feats to go with your Channel Energy spell.

SPELLS/DOMAINS
As a Cleric, you need to decide on what two domains you want to be a part of. "A cleric's deity influences her alignment, what magic she can perform, her values, and how others see her. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to her deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if her alignment matches that domain. Each domain grants a number of domain powers, dependent upon the level of the cleric, as well as a number of bonus spells. A cleric gains one domain spell slot for each level of cleric spell she can cast, from 1st on up. Each day, a cleric can prepare one of the spells from her two domains in that slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in her domain spell slot. Domain spells cannot be used to cast spells spontaneously." Here's a list of Cleric domains to choose from. This is basically the most complicated part of being a Cleric in the beginning, since there are tons of domains and then tons of spells to choose from based on those domains.

SKILLS
Apparently Humans also gain an additional Skill point each level, so you should have 12 total. Your ability modifiers also affect your Skills, so if you want to use those points you posted before (excluding the additional 3 you can put somewhere), your skills will look like this:
Appraise: +5 (Base 1, +4 from 1 point)
Diplomacy: +7 (Base 2, +5 from 2 points)
Heal: +12 (Base 4, +2 from Feat, +6 from 3 points)
Intimidate: +2 (Base 2)
Perception: +4 (Base 4)
Sense Motive: +8 (Base 4, +4 from 1 point)
Spellcraft: +6 (Base 1, +5 from 2 points)
Survival: +6 (Base 4, +2 from Feat)
Climb: -1 (STR mod)
Swim: -1 (STR mod)
Everything Else: +0

LANGUAGES
Because you're a Human, you automatically know Common. With your INT being 12, you get to learn an additional language. Since we have so many Elves, it might be best to learn Elvish as well, or you can just be adventurous and get something unique instead.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2012, 10:19 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 10:15 am Jack Post #83

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

So I've been reading the rule book and...it's basically lord of the rings. Can we play in a more interesting world n with more interesting races and classes, esp. races? I'm thinking the world of morrowind and skyrim, especially that of morrowind, as that's close enough to the current rulebook as to be doable but different enough to be unique and fun.

Oh and for IRC, how about #SEN on freenode for now?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 3 2012, 10:24 am DevliN Post #84

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

D&D was based on Lord of the Rings, and everything else was based on D&D so... duh. :P

I don't see a point in trying to find a tabletop RPG based on Elder Scrolls, though, and considering how D&D/Pathfinder works that might be pretty irrelevant anyway. Really the only way the campaign will be similar to LotR is if Sac gives us the same plot for some reason. Keep in mind that the point of this game is that you can set it however you want while using the core rulebook as a guide. Just because the guide allows for Dwarves and Elves and magic rings doesn't mean we have to encounter them.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 4:53 pm Raitaki Post #85

My updated character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=376704

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my skills or spells choices, feel free to tell me :wob:

None.

Mar 3 2012, 5:24 pm BiOAtK Post #86

Jack -- That's just the suggested "world". Honestly, the DM can do whatever he wants to. It's just really really complicated and a ton of work to build your own world.

Raitaki - Do you have Steam/Facebook? Message me your details and I can help you out in real time, it will be much easier.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 5:57 pm Sacrieur Post #87

Still Napping

I find LotR to be a mysterious, yet bland fantasy setting. It really pioneered a lot, but I'm a fan of high-fantasy. WHOO MAGIC FOR EVERYONE.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:21 pm Roy Post #88

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

Since you said this was going to take a while before it starts, I just thought I'd let you know I'm interested if it starts on or after April 14th. My only knowledge of the game comes from The Gamers, though.

Mar 3 2012, 6:22 pm FatalException Post #89

Quote from DevliN
FEATS
Humans also grant a bonus Feat at level 1, so you should have 3 total. I suggest you don't do Eclectic since that wont affect you unless you multiclass into three separate classes. Self-sufficient is a great choice, though, as Heal may come in handy. You may want to consider something like Empower Spell (note that this only affects a spell of your choice rather than empowering all spells you cast) or Spell Focus (again, only affects one spell) or something from the Channeling feats to go with your Channel Energy spell.
This part is very important. I strongly suggest taking Selective Channeling, especially if you plan on entering the healing domain. Otherwise, whenever you try to heal everyone with Channel Energy while we're in combat, you'll end up healing the enemies, too (good if they're undead, really bad if they're not).

A note to everyone new to DnD: Do NOT pick feats without consulting with someone experienced. There are simply far too many for you to make an informed choice on your own.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:30 pm Positively Post #90

Quote from DevliN
I read up on Humans and Clerics in Pathfinder specifically a bit to see if you were missing anything, and there are a few things to consider:

ABILITY POINTS
As a Human, you actually get to put 2 points into any Ability score you want as a racial bonus. Most recently you said you wanted STR 7, DEX 12, CON 10, INT 12, WIS 17, CHA 15. You may want to do STR 8, DEX 10, CON 12, INT 12, WIS 19, CHA 14 instead (putting the 2 bonus points into Wisdom). With this combination, your STR mod is -1 rather than -2, you get some bonus HP from your CON mod, your WIS mod will be +4 instead of +3, and you'd still have the same +2 CHA mod. This also sets you up to add a point to WIS when you hit level 4, for a +5 modifier.

FEATS

SPELLS/DOMAINS
As a Cleric, you need to decide on what two domains you want to be a part of. "A cleric's deity influences her alignment, what magic she can perform, her values, and how others see her. A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to her deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if her alignment matches that domain. Each domain grants a number of domain powers, dependent upon the level of the cleric, as well as a number of bonus spells. A cleric gains one domain spell slot for each level of cleric spell she can cast, from 1st on up. Each day, a cleric can prepare one of the spells from her two domains in that slot. If a domain spell is not on the cleric spell list, a cleric can prepare it only in her domain spell slot. Domain spells cannot be used to cast spells spontaneously." Here's a list of Cleric domains to choose from. This is basically the most complicated part of being a Cleric in the beginning, since there are tons of domains and then tons of spells to choose from based on those domains.

SKILLS
Apparently Humans also gain an additional Skill point each level, so you should have 12 total. Your ability modifiers also affect your Skills, so if you want to use those points you posted before (excluding the additional 3 you can put somewhere), your skills will look like this:
Appraise: +5 (Base 1, +4 from 1 point)
Diplomacy: +7 (Base 2, +5 from 2 points)
Heal: +12 (Base 4, +2 from Feat, +6 from 3 points)
Intimidate: +2 (Base 2)
Perception: +4 (Base 4)
Sense Motive: +8 (Base 4, +4 from 1 point)
Spellcraft: +6 (Base 1, +5 from 2 points)
Survival: +6 (Base 4, +2 from Feat)
Climb: -1 (STR mod)
Swim: -1 (STR mod)
Everything Else: +0

LANGUAGES
Because you're a Human, you automatically know Common. With your INT being 12, you get to learn an additional language. Since we have so many Elves, it might be best to learn Elvish as well, or you can just be adventurous and get something unique instead.

Quote from FatalException
Quote from DevliN
FEATS
This part is very important. I strongly suggest taking Selective Channeling, especially if you plan on entering the healing domain. Otherwise, whenever you try to heal everyone with Channel Energy while we're in combat, you'll end up healing the enemies, too (good if they're undead, really bad if they're not).

A note to everyone new to DnD: Do NOT pick feats without consulting with someone experienced. There are simply far too many for you to make an informed choice on your own.

Okay thanks again :). Reading the rule book right now at work sso I can try to understand everything. I'll update everything once I get home.

P.S. is anyone new having this much trouble or is it just me? o_o

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:52 pm BlueWolf Post #91

No, I'm having some trouble too, but you're asking some very good questions.

None.

Mar 3 2012, 6:56 pm DevliN Post #92

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Raitaki
My updated character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=376704

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve my skills or spells choices, feel free to tell me :wob:
Just some minor things:
Your "Hit Die" is d6 rather than 3d6.
In the other thread, Sac said we'll keep HP fractions for the purpose of leveling up, so your HP should actually be 18 (6 base, +4.5, +4.5, +3 favored).
If your favored class is Wizard (I don't see anywhere to indicate this on the sheet, but I'm blind) then you can either get an extra skill point or hit point per level. I think you already put all 3 into your HP, but if not I'm just throwing this out there.
Elves usually aren't 6 ft tall. :P

Quote from Positively
P.S. is anyone new having this much trouble or is it just me? o_o
You're doing pretty well given that you unintentionally chose a really complex class to play. :awesome: Like Blue said, you're asking good questions and character creation always seems to be the most complicated and time-consuming part for a player anyway. Once the game starts and you have everything down for your own character, the rest of the game is pretty simple.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2012, 7:17 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 7:21 pm Positively Post #93

Oh okay good, so I'm not just slow lul.
I'm getting some one-on-one help from Fatal which is REALLY helpful so I'll stop asking questions here haha.
Thanks for all the help :)

None.

Mar 3 2012, 7:35 pm FatalException Post #94

Coincidentally, if anyone else wants one-on-one help, please send me a PM and we'll set something up. We're currently in channel SEN on http://webchat.freenode.net/ if anyone wants to jump in and ask something.

Quote from DevliN
Actually, elves are typically 5'(4 + 2d8)", so he's dead on. ;P

None.

Mar 3 2012, 8:31 pm DevliN Post #95

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from FatalException
Quote from DevliN
Actually, elves are typically 5'(4 + 2d8)", so he's dead on. ;P
Oh interesting. I guess that's a minor change I didn't notice. I'm still used to the idea that they start at 4' 5" :awesome:

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 8:36 pm Raitaki Post #96

Hurr, I changed my hit die to 3d6 on Bio's instructions.
Didn't know I also get 1 level-up HP at lv1. Will fix later.
Don't comment on my age/height/weight bro, I based them on the wiki :P Age few years too young for trained tho :P

None.

Mar 3 2012, 8:41 pm DevliN Post #97

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from Raitaki
Hurr, I changed my hit die to 3d6 on Bio's instructions.
Didn't know I also get 1 level-up HP at lv1. Will fix later.
Don't comment on my age/height/weight bro, I based them on the wiki :P Age few years too young for trained tho :P
I can see why the hit die was set like that, so that's fine.
You don't get an extra HP at level 1. I was saying that you get an extra from adding the .5 HP at level 2 and 3.
I commented on the height only because in D&D, Elves are actually short. Seems like that's not the case for Pathfinder, though.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 9:14 pm Raitaki Post #98

Hm? 6+4.5+4.5+2=17? Uhh actually what was the +3 favored you listed up there? :hurr:

None.

Mar 3 2012, 9:19 pm DevliN Post #99

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

In the other thread, Sac said we'll keep HP fractions for the purpose of leveling up, so your HP should actually be 18 (6 base, +4.5, +4.5, +3 favored).
Your base is 6 (from the d6 Hit Die). Since we're doing 3/4 HP per level, you get an additional 4.5 HP for level 2, and 4.5 HP for level 3, so 15 total. In Pathfinder, you have the option to set a "Favored Class" which yields bonuses each time you level as that class. You can either add 1 HP per level or 1 Skill point. I assumed that your 17 HP included that.

So if you want, you can have 18 total (6 base + 4.5 + 4.5 + 3 favored bonus) or 17 total (6 base + 4.5 + 4.5 + 2 favored bonus) and an extra Skill point or 16 total (6 base + 4.5 + 4.5 + 1 favored bonus) and 2 extra Skill points or 15 total (6 base + 4.5 + 4.5 + 0 favored bonus) and 3 extra Skill points.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 3 2012, 9:21 pm Raitaki Post #100

Quote from DevliN
Your base is 6 (from the d6 Hit Die). Since we're doing 3/4 HP per level, you get an additional 4.5 HP for level 2, and 4.5 HP for level 3, so 15 total. In Pathfinder, you have the option to set a "Favored Class" which yields bonuses each time you level as that class. You can either add 1 HP per level or 1 Skill point. I assumed that your 17 HP included that.
Oh derp. The "extra HP" I mentioned was the favored bonus. Got it nao, will change it when I get home :3

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 717 >
  Back to forum