Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: WHO WANTS TO PLAY DND? :D
WHO WANTS TO PLAY DND? :D
Mar 1 2012, 2:27 am
By: FatalException
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 517 >

Mar 2 2012, 10:06 am DevliN Post #41

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Since no one else seemed to answer these, I'll give it a shot.
Quote from Positively
What are Feats?
8) Determine Saving Throws, Initiative, and Attack Values.

Determine all of the character's other mechanical details, such as his or her saving throws, initiative modifier, and attack values. All of these numbers are determined by the decisions made in previous steps, usually determined by your class choice.

That just makes no sense to me, not sure why... so yeah... if someone could help me I'd be really grateful
FEATS
Feats are added bonuses for your character. They are pretty important. For example some add points to your skills, some add bonuses to your attack rolls, some allow you to use ranged weapons at point-blank range, and so on. You'll typically want to choose feats that coincide with the skills that work best with your class. If you're playing a Cleric, pick something that may augment your spell casting or heal skill, or if you want do something like Improved Initiative so you have a better chance of going sooner in combat. I'm not familiar with Pathfinder's feats, so I can't really give detailed suggestions, unfortunately.

SAVING THROWS
Your saving throws are essentially your defenses against spells or special attacks. For example let's say a dragon breathes fire in your area, you'd roll with the help of your Reflex save in order to attempt to dodge it. Or maybe some creature is trying to mess with your mind, so you'd use your Will save to help prevent any attempt made against you. If I remember correctly, Fortitude includes your CON modifier, Reflex uses your DEX modifier, and Will uses you WIS modifier.

INITIATIVE
Your Initiative is basically a modifier to help you determine how soon your turn starts in combat. At the beginning of combat, everyone rolls a d20 and adds Initiative, so therefore the higher the Initiative, the better chance you have of going first. Initiative also uses your DEX modifier.

ATTACK VALUES
Your attack values will vary based on what weapons or spells you use to attack with. When it is your turn to attack and you decide to use your weapon, you roll a d20 and add your attack bonus, which is typically your STR modifier and perhaps any bonus you get from special gear or feats. If that is higher than the target's AC (armor class), then you get to roll the damage you deal with your weapon. So this will all depend on your weapon and STR or DEX (if ranged) modifiers.

Also, if it helps you to have something to look at along with simple explanations, you may want to go to http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/charactersheets and download a D&D 3.5 sheet to fill out. There are also sheets you can find online, too.

EDIT:
I don't really know how different Pathfinder is, so I hope all of the above is correct. I'm assuming it is just a variation of D&D with all the same basic rules applying to it.

EDIT2:
Looks like http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation has some options for character sheets, instead.

EDIT3:
So assuming I can get away with playing a Drow, I'd be:
Devlin
Drow Ranger
Chaotic Evil

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 12 (+1)

Fortitude: +3
Reflex: +5
Will: +0

Attack Bonus: +1
Attack (Melee): +4
Attack (Ranged): +4

AC: 13 (no armor yet)
HP: 12/12
Initiative: +3

Level 1 Feat: Two-weapon Fighting
Traits: Killer and Bully

EDIT15:
I may play a Fighter or Barbarian instead. I always play Rangers in RL games (when I'm not DMing), and it might be interesting to try something different. My stats wont be changing too much for the most part, though.

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2012, 10:48 am by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 2 2012, 10:37 am BlueWolf Post #42

I've heard people say Pathfinder is 3.75 of D&D, so I'm sure there aren't significant differences.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 2:25 pm Sacrieur Post #43

Still Napping

You'll find the rules on character creation here.

PF isn't entirely incompatible with 3.5e, but it has a lot of basic rule differences.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 3:16 pm Raitaki Post #44

Chaotic Neutral Elven Wizard

Str: 7 (-2)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 19 (+4)
Wis: 15 (+2)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Fortitude: +0
Reflex: +2
Will: +2

Attack Bonus: -2
Attack Bonus (Melee): -2
Attack Bonus (Ranged): +2

AC: 12 no armor
HP: 6/6 (lol)

Lv1 Feat: Elemental Spell (Metamagic)
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Goblin, Sylvan, Gnome
UPDATED

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2012, 11:22 pm by Raitaki.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 4:45 pm FatalException Post #45

I'm just going to put this out there again, if you've never played DnD before, please enlist someone who has to walk you through making your character.
Quote from The_UrChai
Name: Rick A. Garde
Class: Ranger
Race: Elven
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Attire:TBA
Attributes: str7, dex12, con9, int19, wis16, cha10
Physical Attributes: 5'11", 145 lbs, Hazel eyes, Dark brown hair
Languages: Common, Elven, Celestial, Draconic, Gnome, Goblin

Am I doin it right?
If you're going to be a ranger, you don't need your int that high, and you DEFINITELY don't want to drop so much strength. Strength determines your attack bonus with melee weapons (unless you take a feat to make it dex), as well as your damage. If you have 7 strength, you get -2 on all melee attack rolls and all melee damage. Also, you'll never be able to use a composite bow (a bow that deals extra damage based on your strength mod). You'll need higher dex because it determines your accuracy with ranged weapons. Basically, you've picked stats for a wizard, but you're a physical fighting class.

Also, irrelevant notes on your character description... It's awfully human-like. :P

Quote from Positively
Mmk thanks Az and UrChai..

Name: Vindeca
Class: Cleric
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutral Good
Attire: Err later I guess
Attributes: STR7, DEX11, CON13, INT17, WIS15, CHA10
Physical Attributes: 5'9", 140 lbs, Black Eyes, Long Matted Black Hair to shoulder

Hopefully I did this correct...
Clerics actually need wis and cha a lot more than they need int. Cleric spells are wis based, and their channel energy ability is cha based. Clerics basically only use int for skills. You've put a lot of points into con that you won't really need, and by my math you still have 4 points left over. You probably don't want to be an elf if you want to be a cleric.

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2012, 5:12 pm by FatalException.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 4:52 pm Sacrieur Post #46

Still Napping

You need to read the manual if you don't know what you're doing, not the SRD. After you read it we are more than willing to help you create a character, but you gotta know the basics first.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 8:36 pm DevliN Post #47

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Since there seems to be some basic confusion about ability scores, I'll try to type up a simple explanation.

Most things you do in the game use your ability score modifiers. Depending on your class and what you want to accomplish, some scores are better than others. Unless you know for a fact you'll rarely need to make use of a particular ability modifier (i.e. you know you'll never have to punch something, so you don't need much STR), you generally want to make sure you don't have any in the negatives.

STRENGTH (STR)
Strength is best for melee fighters who rely on brute strength to kill things. Basically your Strength modifier is used for melee attack rolls (you add your STR modifier and your base attack bonus to your d20 roll when you attack something), bonus melee damage (add your STR modifier to the amount of damage done with your weapon), certain skill checks like climb or swim, certain strength checks like smashing things, and if we get really into it, your carrying capacity for your loot.

DEXTERITY (DEX)
Dexterity is best for ranged fighters or classes that need to be quick and stealthy like Rogues. Basically your Dexterity modifier is used for ranged attack rolls (you add your DEX modifier and your base attack bonus to your d20 roll when you attack something), armor class* (you add your DEX modifier to the base AC of 10, and then add whatever bonus AC you get from armor), Reflex saving throws (your ability to dodge things), and certain skills like stealth or acrobatics. *Note that in some cases heavier armor can reduce the amount of DEX you're able to include in your AC, but this can be explained later once it actually happens.

CONSTITUTION (CON)
Constitution is essentially your health. Your CON is used to determine your health and any added health you gain when you level up.

INTELLIGENCE (INT)
Intelligence is best for Wizards, as they gain bonus spells based on this ability score. Your INT can also allow you to learn more languages, earn more skill points at each level, and modify skills like appraise or knowledge.

WISDOM (WIS)
Wisdom is best for Clerics and Druids (as it gives them bonus spells), and sometimes Rangers (though this is secondary to DEX and/or STR for Rangers). Your WIS modifier is used for Will checks (to prevent or counter certain spells that would affect your mind), and certain skills like heal or sense motive.

CHARISMA (CHA)
Charisma is best for Paladins, Bards, and Sorcerors. Each of these classes gains bonus spells based on this ability score. Your CHA modifier is mostly used for skills that attempt to persuade others like bluff or intimidate.

EDIT:
Changed my class to a Fighter.

Devlin
Drow Fighter
Chaotic Neutral

STR: 18 (+4)
DEX: 12 (+1)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 10 (+0)

Fortitude: +3
Reflex: +1
Will: +0

Attack Bonus: +1
Attack (Melee): +5
Attack (Ranged): +2

AC: 11 (no armor yet)
HP: 12/12
Initiative: +5

Fighter Bonus Feat: Power Attack
Level 1 Feat: Improved Initiative
Traits (assuming we're using these): Killer and Suspicious

SKILLS: Skill names in blue are class skills
+1 Acrobatics
+4 Climb
+1 Escape Artist
+1 Fly
+4 Intimidate
+2 Perception
+1 Ride
+5 Sense Motive
+1 Stealth
+4 Swim
+0 Everything Else

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2012, 9:04 pm by DevliN.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 2 2012, 9:55 pm Positively Post #48

Thanks for clearing a lottt of stuff up for me guys, especially Devlin.

Quote from FatalException
Clerics actually need wis and cha a lot more than they need int. Cleric spells are wis based, and their channel energy ability is cha based. Clerics basically only use int for skills. You've put a lot of points into con that you won't really need, and by my math you still have 4 points left over. You probably don't want to be an elf if you want to be a cleric.

Oh okay.. so.. redone I guess

Race: Human (?)
Attributes: STR7, DEX13, CON8, INT13, WIS17, CHA15
Physical Attributes: 5'9", 140 lbs, Black Eyes, Long Matted Black Hair to shoulder

I used http://www.trovetokens.com/pathfinder.html site to make my guy so... yeah.... hopefully I did it better now :)

None.

Mar 2 2012, 10:25 pm OlimarandLouie Post #49

Ack... sorry, I'll be gone until late Sunday, I'll try to get character creation done then.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 10:26 pm DevliN Post #50

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

No one ever wants to play anything other than an Elf or Human, I've noticed. Someone should play as a Goliath (supposing Pathfinder had this race) and another as a Halfling. :awesome:

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 2 2012, 10:32 pm BiOAtK Post #51

Halfling rogues 4 lyfe.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 10:55 pm FatalException Post #52

You should play one. We need a skill monkey. (Although everyone seems to have an obsession with getting lots of skill points regardless of class, anyway...)

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:10 pm DevliN Post #53

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

You should play one. We need a skill monkey. (Although everyone seems to have an obsession with getting lots of skill points regardless of class, anyway...)
I think people just figured Intelligence did more than increase skill points. As far as I know, I'm the only one who has posted anything about skills. :P

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 2 2012, 11:24 pm BiOAtK Post #54

>:D ALL HAIL YOUR ROGUE

Karum Nubius
Male Chaotic Neutral Halfling Rogue, Level 3, Init +3, HP 15/15, Speed 20ft
AC 14, Touch 14, Flat-footed 11, Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
(+3 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None
+2 bonus on saving throws against fear (stacks with Luck)
Proficient with: Slings, All "Halfling" Weapons, All Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbow, Rapier, Sap, Shortbow, Short Sword
Proficient with: Light armor except Shields

1/2 level to all Perception Skills Checks made to locate Traps and to Disable Device checks (minimum +1)

A Rogue can use Disable Device on magic traps.

+1 bonus to Reflex Saves and +1 dodge bonus to AC against trap attacks.

Holy shit I feel OP. Hell yeah.
Also, all of these are legit. If Sac wants to challenge or anything I can explain where every single one of these came from. However, if I misunderstood some things like how to calculate Ability Scores and shit, please inform me.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:27 pm The_UrChai Post #55

New revised less crappy character. :D
I used this: http://www.venturecaptain.com/Character.aspx So if something looks wrong tell me.
Name: Narciso
Race: Half-Elf
Allignment:Lawful Good

Class;
Favoured: Paldin
Bonus Favoured:Ranger

Ability scores
Collapse Box

More stats
Collapse Box

Skills
Collapse Box

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:33 pm BiOAtK Post #56

Are you a paladin or a ranger...?

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:37 pm FatalException Post #57

If you're a paladin, you need charisma. If you're a ranger, you need some wis. Those stats are a lot better suited for a barbarian.

Quote from Positively
Thanks for clearing a lottt of stuff up for me guys, especially Devlin.

Oh okay.. so.. redone I guess

Race: Human (?)
Attributes: STR7, DEX13, CON8, INT13, WIS17, CHA15

I used http://www.trovetokens.com/pathfinder.html site to make my guy so... yeah.... hopefully I did it better now :)
I'd drop a point from dex and a point from int and bring that con back to 10 so you don't lose hitpoints for mostly nothing, but otherwise those numbers are ok. You might want to switch the wis and the cha, but probably not.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 2 2012, 11:52 pm by FatalException.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:53 pm Raitaki Post #58

Wait, what? Negative skills?? Also isn't your max skill level supposed to be equal to the number of hit dice you have???

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:57 pm FatalException Post #59

Negative skill totals happen when you have a negative modifier for that skill's associated ability score, but you can't put negative ranks in a skill and get more skill points. Also, yes, skill cap is your number of hit dice.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2012, 12:07 am by FatalException.

None.

Mar 2 2012, 11:59 pm BiOAtK Post #60

I thought that was for RANKS in a skill, not the total skill modifier.
Also, remember: When you check a skill, you add the total skill modifier to a roll of a d20.
I.e. he has a -1 swim skill modifier, he rolls a 19, his swim check is 18.

EDIT:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but about the hit dice rank limit...
If you have 3d8, would your max rank be 3, 8, or 24?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 3 2012, 12:05 am by BiOAtK.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 517 >
  Back to forum