Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Night's Terrain
Night's Terrain
Feb 20 2012, 12:25 pm
By: Caliph  

Feb 20 2012, 12:25 pm Caliph Post #1

and here i thought SC mapping was dead! just posting some of my work to be commented on and the such.

Attachments:
Starcraft Terrain 01.jpg
Hits: 15 Size: 203.9kb

Post has been edited 5 time(s), last time on Feb 20 2012, 1:09 pm by Caliph.

None.

Feb 21 2012, 2:11 am jjf28 Post #2

Cartography Artisan

looks like it's nice but I would really like to see it in a higher quality photo!

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Feb 21 2012, 2:12 am Lanthanide Post #3

Good, although it needs more doodads :)

None.

Feb 21 2012, 10:45 am Caliph Post #4

doodads will come later =x. what would you recommend for taking screenines? i just used paint.exe and the prntscreen key lolol

None.

Feb 21 2012, 10:54 am Lanthanide Post #5

That's fine, just don't shrink it so much like you did. Shrinking down to 1/2 size is probably the limit, any smaller and it's too small. Also to increase visual quality you can crop out the editor window and just show the terrain itself; that way you can keep the same resolution image but increase the size of the stuff you actually want to see.

None.

Feb 21 2012, 11:50 am Caliph Post #6

i see. thanks for the tip ;D i believe that was 66% zoom.

edit:

opinions?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 21 2012, 12:28 pm by Caliph.

None.

Feb 21 2012, 4:38 pm ubermctastic Post #7

Try to avoid straight edges like the plague. They can ruin really nice blends.

None.

Feb 21 2012, 6:08 pm jjf28 Post #8

Cartography Artisan

I really like the spacial trickery going on here - first with the water that seems like it should be flooding onto the ground, second with the land that seems to get significantly higher on the right of the wall :) I also liked the coloms at the right end of the bridge/dam, it almost looks like a mini staircase, though it does get a bit blocky at the top of the 'staircase.'

The bridge/dam itself (2nd picture) may be a tad repetative, and would prolly benefit from a mix up or a sprite here and there for some contrast. I'm also not sure about that tree sprite, it must cover up something but that particular tree doesn't seem to fit.

Overall good work!

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Feb 21 2012, 11:50 pm Dem0n Post #9

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Caliph
doodads will come later =x. what would you recommend for taking screenines? i just used paint.exe and the prntscreen key lolol
Save a picture of the map (it's the button next to the normal save button). Then, open it in paint.net and zoom in to 100%. From you, you can cut out whatever you want and still retain the correct size. ;o

Mar 7 2012, 1:12 am WoodenFire Post #10

As general advice, I would like you to consider the following tricks:

1.) Use mirrored terrain only when it is man made (good for stairs and your fountain).
2.) Make sure that terrain which is natural, has all of the natural curves, juts, and jags that it would have in real life.
3.) Avoid blockiness or the look which terrain makes when it just simply wasn't meant to be.

None.

Options
  Back to forum