Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Blizzard is Suing Valve for "DOTA"
Blizzard is Suing Valve for "DOTA"
Feb 11 2012, 7:29 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 2 3

Feb 12 2012, 3:17 am Aristocrat Post #41

Quote from UnholyUrine
The Blizzard vs. Valve thing is with people who have NOT put any effort on the map vs. people who have hired, and is therefore giving monetary support to the person who has put energy and effort into the game.

Blizzard made WCIII, which was what made DotA possible. Without Warcraft III, DotA may never have seen the light of day. Gotta give them some credit.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 4:14 am Sacrieur Post #42

Still Napping

And they do get credit. The maps Icefrog and et al. created are owned by Blizzard. DotA has given Blizzard plenty of sales for WC3, I'm sure.

I read point 21 and it seemed it boiled down to, "The stuff they used on their website is ours because of the EULA, and since we didn't do anything to stop it, we authorized it." I've mentioned before in the shoutbox the issue here is with the EULA and who actually holds the intellectual property.

The EULA's current position is akin to handing you a pen, and then saying anything you write down with that pen, including any ideas, stories, etc., are theirs. I think that's a tad absurd.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 6:04 am ClansAreForGays Post #43

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Just read through their suit. Blizzard isn't trying to trademark DotA, they're just trying to stop Valve from trademarking it. Which seems fair.
Pays to read I guess. That definitely seems fair if that's all they're doing.

Feb 12 2012, 7:46 pm LoveLess Post #44

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

And Blizzard can run around with the name Blizzard DOTA, just not Valve. All it is, is that Blizzard is scared of Valve getting the huge player base that is DOTA and keeping them. Which is going to happen, regardless. Why does Blizzard have to bitch so much, just make more games and fix the problems with your fucking editor on SC2.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 8:11 pm UnholyUrine Post #45

@Aristocrat - good point. Giving the tools that allowed the game to work is just as relevant as employing the person who made it.

@Loveless - my thoughts exactly

I think many people have said this before. It all boils down to the name "DOTA"

None.

Feb 12 2012, 11:39 pm IskatuMesk Post #46

Lord of the Locker Room

I hope valve wins. I've no love for the company, or for dota, but I would be pleased to see Blizzard get slapped again. I seem to recall something about almost every company whose editor you use owns the material you've made with that editor, though. Not sure if that would stand up vs a bitch fit about acronyms. I hope not. (Also makes me a bit curious about mods for sc1. You know, actual mods, that were never made using blizzard tools. Speaking of which...)

Quote from Gigins
Quote from Defense">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota]Defense of the Ancients (commonly known as DotA) is a mod for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft

People just can't make up their minds.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Feb 13 2012, 1:16 am ShredderIV Post #47

Quote from name:Azrael.Wrath
Just read through their suit. Blizzard isn't trying to trademark DotA, they're just trying to stop Valve from trademarking it. Which seems fair.

I guess though, some guy will probably decide this that's never even used a computer. All them newfangled contraptions and whatnot.
Exactly. I was discussing this in a Dota 2 stream today.

This isn't a lawsuit, it's just blizzard trying to make it so valve cant trademark dota, so that they can use it in their upcoming blizzard dota map for starcraft 2. A lawsuit would insinuate that blizzard is trying to get money from valve for using something that they have no rights to. That's not what's going on at all.

Jeez people, you need to learn to read haha.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum