Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: uncommon Bug or Hack?
uncommon Bug or Hack?
Jan 26 2012, 2:01 am
By: SCvPlayer  

Jan 26 2012, 2:01 am SCvPlayer Post #1

Hi,

recently i came across a strange issue:
I've been hosting one of my maps several times, at a remake (new players joined) one Players DL stucked. After some time i asked him to rejoin, as he didn't respond i was going to kick him - clicking on the Players Dialog frozen Starcraft. After killing the SC process i restarted SC and rehosted the map. When i closed the last Slot in the Lobby SC frozen again. The same happened when a mate joined and switched to all open slots - as soon as he reached the last Slot my SC frozen. After that i tried to change my IP, change my Login (created new accounts), host different maps with different names, delete the b.net cache, restart the computer... Nothing helped, every time i rehost and closed all slots SC frozen as i hit the last "Players Dialog"(the order in which i closed the slots didn't mater). The only time SC didn't freeze was when i hosted a passworded game with a random name and pass. It also didn't freeze when i connected to another Realm and tried the same there (multiple times). After i joined some other Games at the standard realm and found one which was full (took maybe 2 minutes, i didnt try to host in between joins again) the Issue was gone. Now i'm quite curious what caused this, either some strange Bug which of i can't remember to have seen within the past 12 years of Starcraft or some kind of Hack. There are hints for and against both of these... I hope anyone of you got experiences with this.

None.

Jan 26 2012, 2:17 am Jack Post #2

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I've never heard of that particular issue before...it may be a hack but I doubt it, sounds like a rare bug to me.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 26 2012, 3:31 am jjf28 Post #3

Cartography Artisan

why just the other day...

(20:28:18) Mr_ilL_NasTy: Rec's a #@*%
(20:28:29) Mr_ilL_NasTy: @#%*in hacks my system
(20:28:30) Mr_ilL_NasTy: twice
(20:28:47) Mr_ilL_NasTy: i hosted aero cuz no one was joining my east game
(20:28:52) Mr_ilL_NasTy: and i was lazy jst anted to hero
(20:29:10) Mr_ilL_NasTy: rec joins and tells me i have no comprehension of helms, crashes my system, now i cant host anymore

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 26 2012, 3:33 am by jjf28. Reason: took out profanity in quote

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jan 26 2012, 8:50 am DevliN Post #4

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from jjf28
why just the other day...

(20:28:18) Mr_ilL_NasTy: Rec's a #@*%
(20:28:29) Mr_ilL_NasTy: @#%*in hacks my system
(20:28:30) Mr_ilL_NasTy: twice
(20:28:47) Mr_ilL_NasTy: i hosted aero cuz no one was joining my east game
(20:28:52) Mr_ilL_NasTy: and i was lazy jst anted to hero
(20:29:10) Mr_ilL_NasTy: rec joins and tells me i have no comprehension of helms, crashes my system, now i cant host anymore
What does this have to do with the topic? I feel like I'm missing something...

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 26 2012, 2:27 pm SCvPlayer Post #5

I don't understand it as well, im not involved in that story if you intend that. Beside that i havn't seen nor heard from any believable source about SC hacks crashing the "System" and permanently disabling the ability to host. Though people crashing your sc, making you unable to rejoin that realm for a few minutes are common...

None.

Jan 26 2012, 6:45 pm jjf28 Post #6

Cartography Artisan

I guess I should elaborate then..... when I read about the "system" crash I assumed it was a crash where his game froze up and the graphics were unyeilding making broodwar difficult to close... in any case I didn't get a chance to ask him about it.

The guy I quoted asserted that a hack via a player that joined his game removed his ability to host; SCvPlayer had a hypothesis that a hack effected (parts of) his hosting ability to which I showed a separate, alleged instance of that occurring.

With more such events we could find a correlation between a hack and effects on hosting. My intuition tells me that no hack directly changes hosting powers via someone else joining your game... however...

We know that lobby’s can be heavily manipulated by a hackers joining your game apart from just simple drop hacks/crashes, as seen with Frosts takeover of battlenet where he was able to change the name of the game hosted and what function is called on the joining players' computers when they enter; this of course does not necessarily mean anything for the host who is already in the game (afaik the host isn't made to call anything), but is a bit foreboding about what could possibly be done.

To sum up I am skeptical that hacks affecting hosting for extended periods of time exist, but in my previous post I wanted to denote the possibility, by showing an alleged occurrence.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 29 2012, 5:34 pm by jjf28. Reason: changed "program" to "function"

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jan 29 2012, 5:10 pm Heinermann Post #7

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

Not possible to hack someone's "hosting ability" with a single swipe. You need to constantly "hack" the person every game and diligently monitor their IP address and/or the games list. That kind of devotion is pretty rare and there are very few people who have that ability.
Frost's hack wasn't capable of changing the "program" called when a player clicked on the name, it was only capable of calling a single static function (the most stable and most exciting being the Starcraft intro cutscene).

Options
  Back to forum