Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Rate My Terrain
Rate My Terrain
Jan 4 2012, 2:06 am
By: Tempz
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jan 8 2012, 8:04 pm Tempz Post #41

Alaska the best way to get better at terraining is to look at other peoples terrain...

http://www.staredit.net/?p=database&area=browse&cata=maps&cat=ums&sub=terrain

Check out every thing there except for the diplomacy maps/inverted ramps however inverted ramps are great for when you need them but they are mostly for balance and not for looks if you get good enough you can make your own inverted ramps without any blockiness.

I'm not the best terrain-er but I've got patience and that's what you really need to get good at terrain-ing.

None.

Jan 8 2012, 9:12 pm samsizzle Post #42

Slapping a bunch of random doodads and shit you copy/pasted does not make you good at "doodading." I also don't think terrain is like a christmas tree at all, I mean if you want it to look fuckin tacky and retarded like a christmas tree then sure.

The blank spaces of dirt I left there for a reason, I could've easily put a bunch of little bushes and bones all over the ground, but that wouldn't make sense, since the area is a canyony/dirt/field sort of place. The doodads I placed I thought were appropriate.

"LOOK LOTS OF DOODADS, SUCH GOOD TERRAIN"

I admit tho, I did do this with a lot of my older maps.

None.

Jan 8 2012, 9:51 pm Excalibur Post #43

The sword and the faith

I am notorious for a very doodad heavy style. Quite frankly to me, anything larger than 3x3 tiles being plain is just wasted space.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jan 8 2012, 10:01 pm Oh_Man Post #44

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

*Posts pic of blank terrain*

*gets 10/10 by Sam+ Lanth*

Tempz' analogy said it best.

Jan 8 2012, 10:06 pm Lanthanide Post #45

Somewhat related anecdote. Back in the Warcraft 2 mapping days (showing my age) the only way to add terrain enhancements (the forerunner to doodads) was to manually do it tile by tile when using Blizzard's map editor. These tile enhancements were all single tiles only and didn't interfere with unit pathing or placement at all - purely decorative.

Some guy made a 3rd party map editor called War2xEd and I suggested he add a tool that would automatically place random tile embellishments across the whole map for you based on a probability distribution. It turns out the best looking number was the range from 10-15%, anything more would look too crowded and unnatural, and anything less would look too sparse.

I think the same applies to doodads in SC. The problem here though is that because a lot of doodads are multi-tile and interfere with unit pathing, we have to manually place them.

Interestingly wow wiki says this:
More importantly, Blizzard began to use War2xEd internally, and it influenced them to bundle a feature-rich editor with their immensely popular game StarCraft.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Warcraft_II:_Tides_of_Darkness

Quote from Oh_Man
*Posts pic of blank terrain*

*gets 10/10 by Sam+ Lanth*

Tempz' analogy said it best.
No, I wouldn't give you 10/10 for "blank terrain". IMO Sam's terrain is a bit too devoid of doodads.

None.

Jan 9 2012, 1:58 am Tempz Post #46

I thought I'll mix things up and show you guys a video of me making the terrain.

7.5/10 for the ash ramp... it was good for a first timer but it was kind of blocky... keep at it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 9 2012, 2:04 am by Tempz.

None.

Jan 10 2012, 3:32 am samsizzle Post #47

Tempz your doodads look like well blended piles of junk. Like literal piles of junk.

None.

Jan 11 2012, 5:06 pm Dizzy Post #48

Bob & Yancy's Gun Emporium!

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 11 2012, 5:46 pm by Dizzy.

None.

Mar 9 2012, 3:23 am Cadia- Post #49

thta gun emporium is lookin good

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum