Staredit Network > Forums > General StarCraft > Topic: Fix for colour corruption in Windows Vista/7
Fix for colour corruption in Windows Vista/7
Dec 23 2011, 8:17 am
By: Lanthanide  

Aug 16 2012, 4:28 am CrazyChaos Post #21

Link does not work.

None.

Aug 16 2012, 5:20 am Lanthanide Post #22

Updated link. Stupid Blizzard.

None.

Nov 21 2012, 9:34 am Ahli Post #23

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

My recommendations:

Win8:
- win7 compatibility
- cpu throttling (color cycling seems to not slow down the game)

remaining problems:
- bnet doesn't show the icons like ping bars (ddemulate totally screws the bnet UI in win8, so don't use it)

Win7:
- win98/ME compatibility
- disable desktop composition (disbales glass effect while application runs)
- cpu throttling, disable color cycling (maybe even animated portraits)
- get the color fix:
32-bit: http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/scbw116_x86.reg
64-bit: http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/starcraft/scbw116_x64.reg
- make a shortcut and add " ddemulate" at the end of the target line to fix the icons in battle.net. It would look like this:
"E:\Games\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe ddemulate"
- I think there was a problem with black screenshots in direct draw games. Just try to make a screenshot ingame and check if it is black (it's created in your starcraft folder).
If it is black, you need to change a value in the registry to fix it. Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw" in your registry and check "EnablePrintScreen" to be enabled (dword:00000001).

Vista:
- same as Win7, if I remember it correctly

Black borders on the screen/not fullscreen:
- that's likely to be caused by your graphic card's driver settings.

I've the impression Broodwar runs better on Win8 than on Win7/Vista.

(Don't use the support article links... Blizzard always links the wrong files there and changes the link to the article frequently...)

Mar 4 2013, 11:16 pm Wing Zero Post #24

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from Ahli
- make a shortcut and add " ddemulate" at the end of the target line to fix the icons in battle.net. It would look like this:

This part doesn't work right for me. It says the name specified in the target box is not valid. All I did was add the ddemulate to the address with the space.

Also, this is unrelated but how do I stop the B-net log from being recreated on my desktop every time I log into B-net? I'm not sure why it started doing that in the first place tbh...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 4 2013, 11:21 pm by Wing Zero.

Mar 5 2013, 1:18 am O)FaRTy1billion[MM] Post #25

👻 👾 👽 💪

Is your starcraft installed correctly? It sounds like it isn't, since the bnet log is usually in the starcraft directory. Also if you have a working shortcut already, just edit the target to have the ddeumulate since your path will likely differ from Ahli's.

TinyMap2 - Latest in map compression! ( 7/09/14 - New build! )
EUD Action Enabler - Lightweight EUD/EPD support! (ChaosLauncher/MPQDraft support!)
EUDDB - topic - Help out by adding your EUDs! Or Submit reference files in the References tab!
MapSketch - New image->map generator!
EUDTrig - topic - Quickly and easily convert offsets to EUDs! (extended players supported)
SC2 Map Texture Mask Importer/Exporter - Edit texture placement in an image editor!
\:farty\: This page has been viewed [img]http://farty1billion.dyndns.org/Clicky.php?img.gif[/img] times!

Mar 5 2013, 5:42 am Wing Zero Post #26

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Is your starcraft installed correctly? It sounds like it isn't, since the bnet log is usually in the starcraft directory. Also if you have a working shortcut already, just edit the target to have the ddeumulate since your path will likely differ from Ahli's.
There was a bnet log in my directory, it just wouldnt update itself and made one on my desktop instead. As for the ddemulate thing thats exactly what i did but it didnt work.

Mar 5 2013, 10:57 am NudeRaider Post #27

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Wing Zero
Quote from Ahli

This part doesn't work right for me. It says the name specified in the target box is not valid. All I did was add the ddemulate to the address with the space.
It's a minor mistake in the instruction. The quotes are supposed to encompass the path+filename but exclude the parameter. They are needed to tell apart a filename with space from a file that is started with a parameter.

Do it like this and it'll work:
"E:\Games\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe" ddemulate

alternatively just remove them entirely since StarCraft.exe doesn't contain a space:
E:\Games\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe ddemulate

Apr 13 2013, 5:13 pm SCRuler Post #28

Doesn't work for me. I applied it but the colors are still rather distorted on the intro screen and the selection screens. A mass of turquoise with somewhat recognizeable shapes. The ingame color works though, although there is some slight mess with the limits of fog of war, which is sometimes sprinkled with a bit of light grey.

None.

Apr 13 2013, 10:37 pm NudeRaider Post #29

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

I think the fix is only supposed to fix ingame and bnet graphics but not menus or videos. I have the same problem but I don't care.

If you really want the clean graphics get chaos launcher or wmode and launch sc windowed. With the 2x option it'll be displayed with a window size of 1280x960 which is quite decent for full hd or slightly lower resolutions.

If even that isn't good enough you'll have to install Windows XP on your computer (which you can combine with Windows 7 in a dual boot scenario).

So it comes down how far you're willing to go and how much flaws you can accept.

Apr 13 2013, 11:21 pm Lanthanide Post #30

Oh yeah, was going to reply to this earlier but forgot.

Nude is correct, the official fix from Blizzard only fixes the in-game graphics, not the menus etc. But they don't really matter that much. Alt-tabbing out and back in will often fix the menus etc, although sometimes it'll go wonky again. Generally it's not worth the effort, and if you're really concerned, follow Nude's suggestions.

None.

Aug 24 2013, 1:18 pm ShadowFlare Post #31

The reason this is fixed in Win8 probably has something to do with that it never turns off desktop composition for games or anything anymore. In fact, it seems impossible to turn it off through any of the previous methods you could use for turning it off in Vista/7. Among those methods, there was an API for doing that, which no longer does anything at all, and the "Disable Desktop Composition" compatibility option was completely removed in Win8.

None.

Jul 14 2014, 6:54 pm jjf28 Post #32

Cartography Artisan

With some relatively recent update to direct x or something I no longer have any problems with colors when minimizing/restoring on windows 7 computers (after the registry fix).

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Aug 22 2022, 6:56 pm NovalogicWintermute Post #33

Was Microsoft Windows 8.1 the last operating system in the world that is not nerfed like Android and OSX and Windows X are?

None.

Options
  Back to forum