Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Assistance > Topic: Modifying tilesets
Modifying tilesets
Sep 30 2011, 5:17 pm
By: Crazed  

Sep 30 2011, 5:17 pm Crazed Post #1

I'm a newb at using the data editor.

Anyways, what I would like to do is modify a terrain set and use it. The problem is that every time I create my own tileset with tiles from existing tilesets, I have no idea how to save it so that I can actually make use of it in my map.

In addition to that, what are some of the best tilesets out there for snow? I'm looking to have a map that mostly makes use of the bel-shir tileset with some snow at the top and desert at the bottom.

None.

Sep 30 2011, 7:17 pm DevliN Post #2

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

After you modify the Terrain Texture Sets, save (from the Data Editor) and close the map editor. Re-open it, and that should have them show up. I seem to recall this is one of the many things that requires you to save after modifying it, and then reloading it all right after.

http://www.galaxywiki.net/Terrain_Types_(Textures) might help a bit to reference existing terrain textures (for mixing and matching them).
http://www.galaxywiki.net/Custom_Terrain_Textures might help if you want to create or add a completely customized tileset (like something involving snow).

Moved to Art as it seemed like it would ultimately turn into a discussion about that, but I can move it back to Data if need be.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Sep 30 2011, 7:21 pm Roy Post #3

An artist's depiction of an Extended Unit Death

To use a custom tileset you have already made:

1. Go to Map -> Map Textures.
2. In the "New Texture Set" dropdown, find your custom tileset and select it.
3. If you've already done terrain work, you can map the existing terrain to the textures of your new tileset.

To modify the current tileset:

1. Go to Map -> Map Textures.
2. If the current tileset isn't selected in the "New Texture Set" dropdown, select it.
3. Click the Modify button.
4. On the right-hand side of the Data Editor, scroll down to Terrain Textures (the table list entry is called "Texture - Blend")
5. In the right list of the Terrain Textures you have all available textures for the current tileset. You can remove anything you don't want here.
6. In the left list of the Terrain Textures you have all textures available to you. You can add anything you want from here to your current tileset.

As you may already know, Blizzard doesn't have an official ice tileset. You can try to hunt around for some custom tilesets if you'd like, try to work with what you have, or make your own. I think "Meinhoff White Sand" can make convincing snow, and "Monlyth Sand" sorta looks like ice. You can also check out "Shakuras Sand" and see if that strikes your fancy.

Sep 30 2011, 7:32 pm Crazed Post #4

Thanks a ton!

None.

Options
  Back to forum