Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Taking the SAT
Taking the SAT
Aug 24 2011, 11:30 pm
By: ubermctastic  

Aug 25 2011, 1:47 am lil-Inferno Post #21

Just here for the pie

Quote from Jack
Do people not get taught to write in cursive in public schools anymore? I find cursive more natural than printing now, due to how much I had to use it in school. 1 paragraph would be nothing, I wrote entire essays in cursive.
I was taught cursive in 4th grade. Of course, seven or so years later I'm not going to recall everything.

Quote from name:K_A
Have you seen some peoples handwriting? You can't trust them to write an essay in cursive for a test. they wouldn't be able to understand a thing XD
You don't write an essay in cursive. You write an agreement to not cheat.

Aug 25 2011, 2:23 am Dem0n Post #22

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Oh god, I can't imagine writing an entire essay in cursive.

Aug 25 2011, 8:55 pm MillenniumArmy Post #23

If you think the SAT is hard wait till you have to take the GRE (or any other graduate level standardized exams) ;)

None.

Aug 25 2011, 9:17 pm Decency Post #24

2130/2400. 1080/1600 when I took the old version in 7th grade. The only prep I did outside of school was having a library card and using it during my adolescence.

Hardest part was definitely the essay, I wrote what I considered to be a brilliant piece and got an 8/12... I think I'd have gotten an 800 on the writing portion had I gotten full credit for it. There's no indication for what they're looking for and so it's a complete toss-up as far as what they think of your writing style, I threw in plenty of superfluous and overly eloquent phrasings such that those immediately preceding this, so I'm actually still curious what they felt was wrong.

None.

Aug 26 2011, 2:55 am FatalException Post #25

Learn cursive. Also, don't be too stressed out about it. I only had to take it once, didn't study for it at all, and I'm currently at a fine university across the country from home.
Quote from DT_Battlekruser
- The curve on math means you can't mess up. Down 1 questions is like 40 to 60 points, and it just goes on from there. The other sections you can get an 800 missing one question (usually), or at least a 790.
Are you sure about that? I got an 800 on the math section, and I'm pretty sure I missed at least 1 question.

None.

Aug 26 2011, 3:03 am Centreri Post #26

Relatively ancient and inactive

Just take practice tests until you consistently get what you want to get. There are a ton of books that help prepare you for it, those with full practice tests and those that break it up into sections and let you practice what you have particular trouble with. You get what you put the effort into getting.

None.

Aug 26 2011, 5:57 am fritfrat Post #27

Finally, done with the SAT!
Oh, MCAT. Ok, I can do that, one more.
Yaay did great on the MCAT! Med school here I come!
First week of school: preparing for your USMLE (united states medical licensing exam), the number 1 factor in applying to residency programs..

I personally expected to not have to take any more big tests ever again. That sure didn't work out ;)

That and yes, the SAT is far longer than it needs to be, since it is used for too many purposes (distinguishing between students applying to elite universities as well as judging under performing schools in low income areas), causing the distribution of test scores to be insanely wide. Multiple tests for different purposes would be more accurate as well as less burdensome, though probably not very politically correct.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 26 2011, 6:02 am by fritfrat.

None.

Aug 26 2011, 6:02 am TiKels Post #28

Reading

Math

Writing

My scores. I did especially poor on the writing, I was totally dissatisfied with it. The reading is what I expected and so was the math. If I took it again I'd probably get a 600 on writing.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 26 2011, 6:52 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #29

Are you sure about that? I got an 800 on the math section, and I'm pretty sure I missed at least 1 question.

Positive. The variance from stupid mistakes on the math section is one of the most annoying parts of the test. The SAT IIs on the other hand, you can miss like 8 and still get an 800.

distinguishing between students applying to elite universities

It really isn't. The SAT I is far too easy for this purpose, rendering it more or less useless as a metric (other than people who are getting below 2000 should probably be scrutinized a lot more carefully).

And since people are bragging about their SAT scores, I got a 1270 or something on the old administration of the test, and a 2390 the next time around when it was for college apps.

None.

Options
  Back to forum