Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Underaged Drinking
Underaged Drinking
Aug 24 2011, 6:18 am
By: lSHaDoW-FoXl  

Aug 25 2011, 6:05 am lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #21

Quote from Sacrieur
So there, that's my second beautiful argument in purple text - 2. Don't go preaching on what's right and wrong when you essentially did what's wrong in your own moral compass.

Ad hominem is not a valid argument. Claiming that someone's argument is wrong based on who they are is bad reasoning.

The rest of your post is rife with logical errors. I cringed.

I never claimed that a persons argument was wrong based on who they are or their occupation. What I implicated was that someone who goes ranting on about what's morally right shouldn't go preaching on how their sense of morals are better than everyone elses if their own set of morals heavily contradict each other. If a persons sense of belief's cannot hold up even consistently then why should they go around assuming their morals are more important than everyone elses?

I'll even argue that my argument is set up to destroy ad hominem as opposed to really being one. I'm no stranger to ad hominem, people use it on me all the time. Because I'm an atheist they say I'm not religious and because I'm not religious, they say I'm not moral. Therefor, because I'm an immoral Atheist I shouldn't have a say on what's morally right or wrong.

Essentially, that's an ad hominem, right?

My arguments however doesn't invalidate what people say over their beliefs or their occupations. It merely warrants them to follow their beliefs more consistently. It's not ad hominem to point out hypocrisy, it's ad hominem to discredit over belief/occupation.

None.

Aug 25 2011, 6:24 am Riney Post #22

Thigh high affectionado

Since this is Lite Discussion, you get a lite response.

Beer is nasty tasting. Laws are just fine by me.

Now for a serious answer worth of Serious Discussion at 4 in the morning:

My father is a drunk. Dunno where he is, what bridge hes sleeping under, or who he kills or fucks for cash to buy more. But I do know this much: because of this, I have a moral to never want anything to do with any sort of beverage that would make me act in this manner, and I whole heartily believe others feel the same way because of this. For example, getting raped as a child by an uncle, that person is more likely to give a shit about a donation pertaining to helping kids removed from cruel, sick people like this and put into foster care. Same concept applies here, parent drank, probably abused child or spouse, came home late, had excuses for everything, started forgetting birthdays, all the way to the point of completely leaving the child and causing them a traumatic experience.

Personally I never experienced it, because I was 4 and didnt know better. But as I aged I learned quite well what this substance does to people, and how not to live your life. Biased I know, but thats my two cents on this. I think the laws are right, because if the age was any lower, boys would drink and fuck their female friend, and the teen pregnancy rate would plummet to 13 as a common age, rather than say 16. Like all drugs, drinking irresponsibly leads to more nastier habits or behavior, which is why you'll often hear others classify Alcohol as a drug, because of the patterns it shares with them.

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Aug 25 2011, 6:38 am lSHaDoW-FoXl Post #23

Quote from Vrael
I think there could be a "parental supervision" clause, but aside from that, American teenagers are not nearly responsible enough to handle drinking.

I can drink to that, pun intended. Beer is actually healthy when it's consumed responsibly, so I figure it makes more sense to promote responsibility through the parents as opposed to hoping and crossing our fingers that the individuals drinking them selves are responsible. Wouldn't it be just a bit awesome if we lived in a world where everyone drank about one bottle a day?

None.

Aug 25 2011, 7:04 am Rantent Post #24

Obviously most of the people who preach that underage drinking is wrong were the ones drinking when they were young, because they learned from their mistakes. (Most adults are not still excessive drinkers.)
The reason many young people don't listen is because there are a lot of other factors saying that drinking is not that bad. (Which it isn't, to a point.)
However no young person can understand when to stop drinking on their own. (And everyone makes mistakes learning some thing new. Yes, drinking is a learned skill to do so controllably.)
The best solution is therefor to let a more experienced drinker lead the youngsters into a more controlled habit.
For some reason though, drinking with parents is out of the question in many places. Any insight?

The answer, IMO, is not to have everyone drink a bottle a day, as a bottle can mean very different things to different people, but to teach people to know their own limits before they just start testing out for themselves how far they can go. This unguided initiation is what inevitably leads to the "competitive" style of underage drinking, where each must prove themselves cool by binging.

None.

Aug 28 2011, 8:19 am BeDazed Post #25

I disagree with everything you say Shadow.

Because I was so smart, that when I was drinking underage, I could feel myself growing more idiotic with every sip.

Low underage drinking will possibly drain society's supply of geniuses, and thus fail to provide the future with enough anti-idiocy. We will all be doomed. DOOMED!!!

None.

Aug 28 2011, 10:17 am Lanthanide Post #26

Quote from BeDazed
I disagree with everything you say Shadow.

Because I was so smart, that when I was drinking underage, I could feel myself growing more idiotic with every sip.

Low underage drinking will possibly drain society's supply of geniuses, and thus fail to provide the future with enough anti-idiocy. We will all be doomed. DOOMED!!!
I can't tell if you're trolling or not.

None.

Aug 28 2011, 7:15 pm Sacrieur Post #27

Still Napping

I'm against underaged drinking laws. And I personally believe that just because something's against the law that doesn't make it immoral or even that bad. In fact, lets take a good look at the drinking laws in some places. In some places, the drinking law is 21. Personally I think this law is completely moronic because you can join the army by 18. So essentially, what this law tells me is that you're allowed to be trained to kill someone by eighteen, and that you're even allowed to kill someone by eighteen, but you're not allowed to have even one beer. Where I live, New Brunswick, the drinking age is a bit less stupid and it's down to nineteen. You know, an entire year older than what's the legal age to basically kill someone overseas.

I'm well aware that morality and law doesn't always go hand in hand. That's actually irrelevant to the issue at hand. You're saying that because you can join the army and kill enemy soldiers at age 18 or die "for your country" but cannot drink alcohol.

Let's start with the misleading comment, "... you're allowed to be trained to kill someone by eighteen ..." This point is irrelevant and moot. You may be trained to kill someone at any age. There are a plethora of martial arts open to minors that will teach techniques that will kill. Hunting, another sport open to participation by minors, also has skills that translate well. And then your dad may be an ex-ranger and teach you how to kill someone. The latter is open to all ages, without any governmental restriction.

Next: "... that you're even allowed to kill someone by eighteen ..." Yes and no. Soldiers do not have a license to kill unless ordered to do so. Authorization of lethal force is required. Military grunts, therefore, are not simply "allowed to kill" willy nilly. They don't get to make much of a decision who to kill and who not to. Also, one may join the military at 17 with parental permission.

You continue, "... you're not allowed to have even one beer." With this we can boil down your argument in an easily understood form.

1) 18-year-olds can become soldiers.
2) Soldiers can kill at age 18.
3) 18-year-olds are not permitted to drink alcohol.

4) 18-year-olds should be permitted to drink alcohol.

It turns out that this argument, as it stands, is completely inane. You have to rely on an assumption (i.e., a premise that was not included in the argument) to create a valid argument. The assumption requires that anyone who is permitted to kill should also be permitted to consume alcohol. Adding this to the premises would help validate the argument, but you would be far from creating a sound argument (a valid argument with all true premises and a true conclusion). However, your argument would still suffer from the fact not all 18-year-olds are permitted to kill, so it takes the following form:

1) Some As are Bs.
2) All Bs are C.

3) All As are C.

This is a logical fallacy, for obvious reasons. Using a counter-example we can demonstrate why:

1) Some vegetables are carrots.
2) All carrots are orange or yellow.

3) All vegetables are orange or yellow.

So should anyone permitted to kill also be permitted to consume alcohol? You must prove this statement correct before advancing your argument.

Part II

Meanwhile in Quebec, probably the most insulted province in all of Canada, their drinking age is eighteen and their booze is cheaper. But I guess it comes to no surprise that the people doing anything right are the ones that are the most insulted. Afterall, people didn't seem too fond of Socrates.

You still haven't proven that the 18-year-old drinking age is the right thing to do, or even the moral thing to do.

Socrates was killed because he asked too many questions, not because he was right. He was wrong about a number of things. To be quite honest I don't understand these statements at all. They don't prove or establish anything other than some lame reference to Socrates to justify the position that being disliked implies one is correct. Either way, it doesn't work that way.

So there, reason #1 - I personally think our priorities are just a bit fucked up when we're more worried about our kids drinking than handing them a gun and telling them to kill someone. 'for the greater good'

Killing is objectively wrong? Good luck with that one. This is also a fallacy. Just because killing is wrong does not mean underage drinking isn't.

Secondly, isn't it just a bit hypocritical for us to tell them that drinking underaged is wrong? I bet that most of the people preaching to our youth not to drink underage are the exact same people that got high, got drunk, and had their dicks sucked back in high school. I mean, i wouldn't have so much of a problem if they were consistent, but they're not. If anyone should argue against underaged drinking it should be someone that never got high, never drank, and never did anything reckless during their high school years. You know, someone like me.

Seriously though, It's like a child molester telling people to keep their hands off our damn kids. If anyone is going to get on their moral high horse they should at least have the decency to be consistent with the morality they're riding on.

So there, that's my second beautiful argument in purple text - 2. Don't go preaching on what's right and wrong when you essentially did what's wrong in your own moral compass.

This is a very textbook example of ad hominem. I could have 30 DUIs and it would not invalidate any points I make on this issue.

Judging someone's responsibility, intellect, or ability through their age is a form of descrimination. Just because one kid gets behind a wheel and gets drunk that doesn't mean all of them do. And it also doesn't mean adults are exempt from doing stupid shit. Instead of completely illegalizing something for an entire age group (that'll get their hands on that illegal substance anyway) we should instead promote responsibility. When our government tries to do something they always screw it up, so maybe instead of asking a politician to fix a problem we should go to our schools to teach the dangers of the problem.

This is your first point that isn't logically flawed and supported correctly. But reviewing statistical data, we can see how raising the drinking age managed to lower DUI-related deaths. And based on this statistic, congress can pass a statute that states having a legal drinking age lower than 21 will lose a state its federal road funding.

Additionally, schools do advocate these types of programs, but the problem is that drinking is so wide-spread that they've focused not on eliminating drinking, but eliminate drunk driving. And I don't see that culture changing anytime soon.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Sep 1 2011, 6:03 am by Sacrieur.

None.

Options
  Back to forum