Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Starcraft 'Longer Than Usual' Mapping Contest
Starcraft 'Longer Than Usual' Mapping Contest
Aug 9 2011, 4:58 am
By: Dem0n
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 16 >

Oct 1 2011, 1:16 am Pr0nogo Post #261

I AM QUITE WORRIED THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Any ETA?

Oct 1 2011, 1:34 am xAngelSpiritx Post #262

eternal lurker

After an unhealthy amount of time and Dem0n-nagging...

These are my reviews. AFAIK Dem0n is almost finished his judging and TiKels will finish this weekend.

Jack's Campaign

Pr0nogo's Campaign

Jim_Raynor's Campaign

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2011, 2:19 am by xAngelSpiritx. Reason: no Aiur reference :massimo:

None.

Oct 1 2011, 1:39 am Pr0nogo Post #263

Yowch. I'm fairly certain that it correctly takes into account the cluster... I'll get that fixed pronto.

Looks like Jim might win the contest, even if I had submitted what I had on time. Wonder how the other averages will add up.

EDIT: Also, you're told to turn the music off in the description of EVERY FREAKIN' MAP FFFUUU

Oct 1 2011, 2:05 am Jim_Raynor Post #264

My name is Church.

Thanks, man!

+ Storyline is mostly unique; some references to events on Aiur
Er... I must be losing my memory, when do I reference Aiur? O:

- Although this takes place in the StarCraft universe, there does not seem to be an actual set time when the campaign takes place
Whoops, I misunderstood, I guess. I didn't realise we had to have it take place at a real moment in the timeline, it seemed implied that all it really needed to be considered StarCraft were marines shooting stuff. Oh well, my bad =P

Complaint: The mod *.exe has issues with digital StarCraft installations. I had to turn the SEMPQ into a FireGraft *.exe in order to run it.
Hmm, that's odd. I have the digital copy of StarCraft, but I have no trouble opening the .exe. I'll try to get this fixed eventually for a non-contest version.

Thanks for this, dude! It's a big help :D

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Oct 1 2011, 2:18 am xAngelSpiritx Post #265

eternal lurker

Quote from Jim_Raynor
+ Storyline is mostly unique; some references to events on Aiur
Er... I must be losing my memory, when do I reference Aiur? O:

That must've slipped through my double-checking. My bad, I'll get that fixed right now.

Quote from Jim_Raynor
- Although this takes place in the StarCraft universe, there does not seem to be an actual set time when the campaign takes place
Whoops, I misunderstood, I guess. I didn't realise we had to have it take place at a real moment in the timeline, it seemed implied that all it really needed to be considered StarCraft were marines shooting stuff. Oh well, my bad =P
The time didn't need to be specific. It just needed to have something that indicated it happened at some point or another (just saying something like "approximately X years after Y event" would have been sufficient).

Quote from Jim_Raynor
Complaint: The mod *.exe has issues with digital StarCraft installations. I had to turn the SEMPQ into a FireGraft *.exe in order to run it.
Hmm, that's odd. I have the digital copy of StarCraft, but I have no trouble opening the .exe. I'll try to get this fixed eventually for a non-contest version.
Odd, because it gave me "Failed to locate the target to patch." which I know has to do with digital StarCraft installations having different registry keys.

Overall though, you did very well, and I can honestly say I really enjoyed playing through the campaign :P.

None.

Oct 1 2011, 2:26 am Azrael Post #266

Judging is hard. My issues with releasing the scores to the other judges before they are finished is that it gives them the easy option of just following your lead and giving scores that are relatively equivalent to yours. This is how most movie and game reviews come to pass, just a regurgitation of what previous reviewers said because it's easier to repeat the opinion of someone else than to think for yourself.

Also, there is the less likely but still possible chance that someone disagrees with your review and skews their own scores to take your scores into account, arriving at an average that changes the outcome of the contest compared to what they would have otherwise scored.

Just saying, this isn't a very professional or legitimate way to do scoring since it defeats the purpose of even having three judges, but Demon told you to post it and it's his contest, so I'm not blaming you at all. I personally wouldn't have given the scores to him or anyone else until the other judges were finished though.

Oct 1 2011, 2:28 am Pr0nogo Post #267

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
- The storyline is not entirely clear. For example, in the second Zerg mission, you must locate the source of a psionic signal, but little reason is given as to why the signal has to be located.

No, it's actually quite clear.

Quote from name:Torzul
A large pulse of energy has been sent out from the small, volcanic planet of Tyrus. I lack an understanding of the energy wave, but I do know that a sizeable Zerg force is on its way to the planet, in droves.

What this says (typo aside) is basically that a huge crowd is coming, and that means that clearly, something important is on the planet. The signal is indicative of massive psionic power - massive enough to call several Swarms, as seen in-game later on - and that alone warrants an expedition to investigate it.

Think about it. If everyone in your state was competing in a competition that had an 'unknown' prize - unknown, yes, but somehow warranting the population of your entire state to participate and try to win it - you'd probably try and grab the prize, if given the opportunity. Or am I wrong? I thought that that portion of the story was very easy to comprehend. I could understand much bigger potential holes, such as the circumstances to Mel'krieg's creation, his 'seeding' on a planet already occupied by Protoss warbands, the out-of-the-blue arrival of Del'rathien, and the fact that there's a Preserver returning to Aiur a whole freakin' year after it was invaded, but seriously. "Why's this signal so important" is not only somewhat trivial compared to other nitpicks you could have had, but it's actually explained in the story.

EDIT: Also, not that it matters, but you played the missions out of order. I actually said in my post with the download link that the order went Z1, Z2, Z3, and P4.

Oct 1 2011, 2:29 am xAngelSpiritx Post #268

eternal lurker

TiKels requested that I tuck everything away in collapse-boxes; now I just have to trust that curiosity doesn't get the better of him. :P

But I actually released the judging now because honestly, it's been quite a while since the contest ended and I'm sure many people here(myself included) were getting impatient.

@Pr0nogo:
The keyword is "entirely". I suppose I could go and re-read the dialogue again, but I doubt my opinion would change. IIRC you only lost half a point for that though, the other half being caused by the out-of-sync voice acting.
The half-point wouldn't have made much of a difference though, since what really killed your score was the 25% late penalty.

I did play the missions in that order(Z1,2,3,4,P1). I may have messed up a reference somewhere; if so, please point it out to me so I can get it fixed.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2011, 2:35 am by xAngelSpiritx.

None.

Oct 1 2011, 2:35 am Pr0nogo Post #269

Yeah, I noticed. I was just defending my story to the fullest extent that I could. What's done is done. Rivalry will be better off for the scores I receive here (however biased TiKels will be against my submission).

Oct 1 2011, 3:16 am Jim_Raynor Post #270

My name is Church.

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
Quote from Jim_Raynor
The time didn't need to be specific. It just needed to have something that indicated it happened at some point or another (just saying something like "approximately X years after Y event" would have been sufficient).
Ah, k. I did include a bit of that in the readme, but I do agree, I could have been more specific.

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
Overall though, you did very well, and I can honestly say I really enjoyed playing through the campaign :P.
Well, I'm glad for that! Thank you very much for the review, feedback is certainly one of the main reasons I joined this contest.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Oct 1 2011, 3:41 am Jack Post #271

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

YUSS IM WINNING GUISE, LOW POINTS = BEST

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 1 2011, 3:42 am IskatuMesk Post #272

Lord of the Locker Room

Jack will always be a winner in my eyes.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Oct 4 2011, 10:59 pm Pr0nogo Post #273

Uh, hey Angel...

Quote from xAngelSpiritx
- Some repetition of "build & destroy" mission types

There was only one build-and-destroy mission in the four-map teaser, and that was the first mission. The second mission was a commando mission, the third was a commando mission that lead into a spawn-based commando mission, and the Protoss one was also a commando mission. Where's that 'repetition''?

Oct 7 2011, 12:52 am Lavarinth Post #274

Lavarinth, here. Clearly, I don't make myself known too much here at SEN since we operate quite differently. StarEdit Network has their method of doing things, and Campaign Creations has its own, however that is neither here nor there, as this post does not relate to SEN. Instead, I'm here to quickly clarify some banter from a certain individual.

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
And the campaign contest on cc.org was sooooo good man. Trying to give people bonuses for turning submissions in early (aka not taking time to fully test them), giving certain people longer deadlines than others, changing deadlines multiple times.... God damn, y'all sure know how to host shit properly.

Thank you, Dem0ns1ayer, for commenting that it was not only good, it was so good that the "so" gets five o's. I appreciate your honesty, and would also like to remind you that sarcasm requires verbal and facial expression to get the point across, not emotionless text.

As for "trying" to give people bonuses for turning in submissions early, "aka not taking time to fully test them," I'm not at all quite familiar with this whole concept you dug up. The only requirement I've ever instituted in Campaign Creations' contests, and to the best of my recollection I have been the only host of the multiple contests we have held, has been a dedication to updating the project status on a weekly basis. Now, if that was so difficult during your participation that I disallowed you from taking the time to fully test your own maps, since I could understand that a simple short write up and a few print screens could easily sway you off course from your development time, I apologize sincerely. I will take such harsh regulations I required into consideration next time and perhaps suggest a one to five word synopsis on a monthly basis.

In regards to extending timelines for certain individuals, I'm not fully aware how I could extend a timeline for only certain people and not the entire group of participants without acquiring some huge uproar that would set the forum in nothing but a full "trololol" mode where endless banter and resistance would form, causing me to resign as administrator of Campaign Creations and announce that I am shutting down the site. Basically, I also don't recall extending the deadline for any one particular individual.

And let's see here.. Changing deadlines multiple times. Hmm, well, I'm not quite sure what constitutes as multiple, but if "once" for only one contest, meaning one time ever for three contests, that being the total amount of contests I've ever ran, and in addition that being the first contest only that was delayed (in other words my first experience hosting a contest), then I believe you and I are in the same boat:

This is a 4 week contest. All maps must be submitted by Monday, September 5th (Labor Day), 11:59 EST. Contest has been extended by one week. All submissions are now due on Monday, September 12th, 11:59 PM EST. EVERYTHING IS DUE SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18th, 11:59 PM EST.

Guess we both host shit properly, don't we?

None.

Oct 7 2011, 1:11 am Jack Post #275

homes just got pwned gg demon

But seriously demon hurry up and give us our results, I wanna know that I won :D

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Oct 7 2011, 1:29 am Dem0n Post #276

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Haha, yeah I know, I fucking blow with this thing. Turns out the deadline was right around the time that all my school work started crashing down on me. :massimo: I'm trying to get through these as quickly as can; if I don't have it by tomorrow night, I give you guys permission to kill me.

@Lavarinth: calm down. D: I only said that because I was getting annoyed at Legion for coming in here and posting basically the only he's ever posted here in my thread in a negative manner. And not that I'm trying to start anything, because I'm really not, but...

Quote from Lavarinth
As for "trying" to give people bonuses for turning in submissions early, "aka not taking time to fully test them," I'm not at all quite familiar with this whole concept you dug up.
I remember at first when people starting turning their campaigns in early, I think it was Ricky who was going to give them good remarks for turning their submissions in early. This changed, however, after we pointed out the fact that turning in submissions earlier didn't mean that the person dedicated more time to it, therefore finishing it earlier than others.

Quote from Lavarinth
In regards to extending timelines for certain individuals, I'm not fully aware how I could extend a timeline for only certain people and not the entire group of participants without acquiring some huge uproar that would set the forum in nothing but a full "trololol" mode where endless banter and resistance would form, causing me to resign as administrator of Campaign Creations and announce that I am shutting down the site. Basically, I also don't recall extending the deadline for any one particular individual.
Oracle was going to originally be given more time to turn his submission in (or something like that), but then after pages of protest from other participants, this was changed. You don't remember everyone flipping out over it? =o

Also, I'm not sure why exactly you think that I'm attacking you. I didn't even know you ran it; I thought Ricky/Legion did. My little tirade wasn't pointed out any one person; I was just ranting on about stuff. But like I said before, I was just annoyed at the time that I posted it.

Oct 7 2011, 1:36 am Pr0nogo Post #277

And not that I'm trying to start anything, because I'm really not, but...

(or something like that)

I didn't even know you ran it

1. Don't nullify all of your argument by instituting hypocrisy before your argument even begins.
2. Your lack of research only nullifies your augment further.

Neither contest was perfect. Both had flaws, some more obvious than others. If we chill out and agree to disagree, I'm sure things will be fine.

Oct 7 2011, 2:50 am IskatuMesk Post #278

Lord of the Locker Room

For the record, anything Ricky does is because he's French and should never be taken in the context of any element other than that one.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Oct 7 2011, 10:24 pm Pr0nogo Post #279

/me sharpens pitchfork...

Oct 7 2011, 10:36 pm Jack Post #280

/me lights a torch...

Red classic.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 16 >
  Back to forum