Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: WW2 Diplo
WW2 Diplo
Jul 6 2011, 11:24 pm
By: FockeWulf  

Jul 6 2011, 11:24 pm FockeWulf Post #1

WW2 Diplo:

This is a Diplomacy map that is set in the era of World War 2. Currently this map has a free-lance style of play so you can war and ally pretty much whomever you want.

WW2 Diplo does not aim to recreate any StarCraft 1 map in it's entirety. Altough it does share some elements with various other diplomacy maps, WW2 Diplo is it's own game.

Some of the main features of WW2 Diplo are:
-Full Amphibious System. This allows all 3 arms to be used - air, land sea.
-Easy-to-use diplomacy window.
-Platoon system - each platoon conposition depends on technology level.
-Custom unit selection system. Now you can just select which special unit you want to replace the default unit in the platoon with and it will do that automatically. Things like having both T-34's and King Tigers in the same platoon is entirely possible now.
-More than 30 custom units at the time of writing.
-Naval units.

Of special note is the "Naval Units". This is because water detection does not exist natively in StarCraft 2. Nor are there any "naval" units as we use the term in the early 21st century as we know it. So I made working land-water system and I made some naval units:

The map iteself is the typical diplomacy map from SC1:

Detail level however is pretty high as shown in this Screen Shot:

There is simply too much to this map to explain in a post like this, the best way you can get to understand the game is to play it.

One of the greatest features of WW2 Diplo (I think) is that unlike so many other maps WW2 Diplo specifically rewards player skill and knowledge. There are no one-size-fits-all units or combinations. It all depends on your nation's strategic situation and of those of the nations around you.

I cannot emphisize enough that it takes at least several games to get a full grasp of the map's potential, and even more to master the map. Some people who have been play Diplomacy Games (literrally) all their lives tend to have a good time of it, even to the point where the map's own maker cannot hope to defeat them.

I really hope WW2 Diplo has brought back the quality, fun, and depth of play that was the mainstay of several of the most popular SC1 Diplmacy maps. Sadly it tends to be that only the older group that actually played Diplomacy in SC1 for a number of years really take to this map, as most of the younger generation lacks the patience to really see this map and how fun it really is.

Attachments:
Terrain 028.jpg
Hits: 1 Size: 158.42kb
Terrain 020.jpg
Hits: 1 Size: 378.38kb
Terrain 021.jpg
Hits: 1 Size: 390.47kb

None.

Jul 6 2011, 11:34 pm Veta Post #2

Played it the other day, it's good and lots of thought has gone into almost every aspect of the game. Unfortunately it's tough to get a game going because of the popularity system.

None.

Jul 6 2011, 11:37 pm Ahli Post #3

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

How did you implement the naval behavior of the units?
I guess you build them in shipyards at the coast, how did you verify that they are placed in water after being build?

And your ship looks awesome ;D
sc2 models attached to another... just well done!
How much actors did you attach for 1 ship type?
I can spot factory models ;D

Which gateway are you using for testing and stuff?

Jul 6 2011, 11:41 pm Jack Post #4

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Wow I didn't notice that those ships weren't custom models at first, great job!

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 6 2011, 11:59 pm FockeWulf Post #5

Yes a lot of work has gone into this map, and its conintually being updated, dispite being in release 2 already.

This map is currently only on the NA server. It might go on EU (perhaps under a diff name cause I think ww2 diplo is taken by another player) but I either need a cd key for EU or some player I can trust to make sure it stays up, get games going, and the like.

For the land water system, I showed veta exactly how to do it and If someone logs onto my teamspeak and asks (or to get diplo/mass unit games going) I could be more than willing to show em. I'm not going to write a guide on it yet because I am still ironing out some stuff with it, but later on i hope to release the contents of WW2 Diplo as a dependency so people can make their own maps off the units in ww2 diplo. You can make everything from stuff like "The battle of Kursk" to "D-Day (remember SC1 D-Day?)" to "Pacific War" to a bunch of other maps based off the units in WW2 Diplo.

None.

Sep 2 2011, 8:13 pm Ahli Post #6

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

How is this map going?

Options
  Back to forum