Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Middle Earth Terrain
Middle Earth Terrain
Jul 4 2011, 7:05 pm
By: Dem0n  

Jul 4 2011, 7:05 pm Dem0n Post #1

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm making a Lord of the Rings diplo/risk-type map for that week-long contest, but I'm having a lot of trouble making the terrain. I've made the basic outline, but now I can't figure out how big each territory and mountain should be. Can someone help me? D:

Here's what I want to create:

Here's what I have:

The high ground is supposed some of the mountains (I'll try to make it stacked so it looks higher) and the grass is where a forest will be. Now, I still have no clue where to put all of the realms and stuff. D:

And here's how big I want each territory:

I only labeled those mountains near the top because they aren't part of any territory so I wanted to remind myself to include them, so I do want all the other mountains as well. ;o Can someone help me scale this thing properly? Whenever I try to put mountains in or something, I realize that I won't have enough room for everything else. I'll love you forever and give you all the minerals I have if you help. :cube: :inlove: :wub: :flowers:

Here's the map.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jul 5 2011, 12:28 am by Dem0nS1ayer.

Jul 4 2011, 7:31 pm Fisty Post #2

Not sure if any programs exist but an easy way to help with this would be to find a program that would create the image as a translucent overlay for your screen and go from there with a zoomed out editor. Otherwise, you don't need to be perfect, people are hardly going to cross-analyze your map with the real one (and who says that map is 100% accurate either :bleh: )

None.

Jul 5 2011, 12:22 am Dem0n Post #3

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Well that's what I have now. It's still so hard to make the territories accurate. :hurr: There's so many small areas that I have to include. :massimo:

Jul 9 2011, 5:38 pm Killer2121 Post #4

this map here has a very good outline of the middle earth terrain

Attachments:
LotR The March of Sauron1-1.scx
Hits: 4 Size: 310.27kb

None.

Jul 9 2011, 5:58 pm Dem0n Post #5

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

;o That is pretty accurate.. But don't worry, I figured out how to do it by myself! :D I just used SCPM to make a map of the map, and then I just used the border of the land in that map as a reference for my map (as shown above).

Jul 10 2011, 12:53 am Killer2121 Post #6

can you post it when your done?

it'd be tight to see the terrain your doing.

None.

Jul 10 2011, 2:10 am Dem0n Post #7

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

That's basically the final product for terrain. All I'm going to do now is go back and add some doodads here and there and add some more grass/mud or something.

EDIT: Holy shit, that's a low-ass-res pic. Oh well. :P

Jul 10 2011, 2:49 am Killer2121 Post #8

you got the white mountains pass? it was a straight line above rivendale.

looks good so far anyways ^^

None.

Jul 11 2011, 1:04 am jjf28 Post #9

Cartography Artisan

nice :D mountains mby a little too easy to walk on?

TheNitesWhoSay - Clan Aura - github

Reached the top of StarCraft theory crafting 2:12 AM CST, August 2nd, 2014.

Jul 11 2011, 1:27 am Dem0n Post #10

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

They can only cross the mountains in three spots, and the rest of the mountain is blocked off. I didn't feel like trying to stack it and shit to make it realistic. I think it serves its purpose. ;o

Options
  Back to forum