Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Strategy Game Idea (FUCKING AMAZING CONCEPT)
Strategy Game Idea (FUCKING AMAZING CONCEPT)
Jun 5 2011, 10:55 pm
By: TiKels  

Jun 5 2011, 10:55 pm TiKels Post #1

Watch this before anything.

This video.

Essentially the concept is is each round you issue a command to a unit, which then does it. Each subsequent round you get another unit to issue a command to.

I -think- this could be done effectively in SC2.

if a unit fails, or is unable to carry out his command, he becomes "unlinked" and goes on basic AI. Maybe set up a secondary action for each unit as well?

you also could set up some default AI's, things that they would do if they ever enter the situation (IE: you see a grenade and have time to kick it)

In the last round, you yourself enter.

Apparenlty the idea is ACTUALLY that you control each character (the above was actually just my interpretation) and each round you get to fix up your own fuck-ups.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2011, 11:08 pm by TiKels.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 5 2011, 11:09 pm Dem0n Post #2

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Minimoose kinda did this with 47. ;o

Jun 5 2011, 11:10 pm Raitaki Post #3

SUPPORT!! (so awesome)
Also, that vid features the slowest nades I've ever seen.

None.

Jun 6 2011, 1:34 am UnholyUrine Post #4

Cool Idea!!!!!!

I think it'd be best to limit to 4-5 AI, like the video, with the last guy being yourself, so the game won't become way too complicated, and be short enough to be enjoyed.

Also.. what about 2v2 and 1v1v1's ??
Wow, it will be interesting

Also, think about the types of AI. Maybe we can choose between different classes, like Snipers/Medic/and other generic FPS classes :hurr:

The only problem I see is the Interface the players have to deal with for this kind of game..
First of all, it'll be too difficult for the players to remember exactly where the AI goes to and such.. So some sort of indications must be put..
Also.. what would the basic AI do... hmmm

Lots of things need to be ironed out

None.

Jun 6 2011, 1:59 am TiKels Post #5

Like I said, you could just have it be the actual concept where you control the unit.

Also, if you follow the video, it goes like, Pistol grenade shotgun machine gun etc...

LOL WHAT IF YOU HAD LIKE 200 AI! THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING!

TiKels times 1023129 goes against UnholyUrine times 1023129

What you could do, is have like little animations where the units start to indicate where they went/will go. So you plan it out before hand. Kinda like waypoints (shift clicking) except more graphic. Like say you tell it to move from 1A to 3B and then drop a mine, move from 3B to 6B and kick a tire. There ya go. There'd be a mine icon at 3B and a kicked tire icon at 6B. Obviously the terrain plays a huge role, and so would memorizing your enemy's moves.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 6 2011, 2:04 am Raitaki Post #6

Quote from TiKels
Like I said, you could just have it be the actual concept where you control the unit.

Also, if you follow the video, it goes like, Pistol grenade shotgun machine gun etc...

LOL WHAT IF YOU HAD LIKE 200 AI! THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING!

TiKels times 1023129 goes against UnholyUrine times 1023129

What you could do, is have like little animations where the units start to indicate where they went/will go. So you plan it out before hand. Kinda like waypoints (shift clicking) except more graphic. Like say you tell it to move from 1A to 3B and then drop a mine, move from 3B to 6B and kick a tire. There ya go. There'd be a mine icon at 3B and a kicked tire icon at 6B. Obviously the terrain plays a huge role, and so would memorizing your enemy's moves.
Ninja'd :hurr: I was thinking about the little animations too :P
So during the time when units follow orders and go kill each other, how will vision be? Everyone sees everything or just your units' vision?

None.

Jun 6 2011, 2:20 am UnholyUrine Post #7

Oh I think it'd be cool if you can tell the AI to like Hold position on an area.. or Patrol

But then be re-ordered After each turn or something

Wait. should the players be allowed to re-order units? HMMMM..

I think Yes.. but make it limited. like, you can re-order a max amt of 1-3 of the AI's

None.

Jun 6 2011, 2:48 am TiKels Post #8

We'd see how well it'd play out.

IMO allowing players to redo some of their moves is the concept. The ability to fix errors. Giving them the ability to CHANGE past moves seems... idk... lame. It removes the aspect of "Ok I know I'm in a good spot since I won last round SO hard" because then the other player will be like "Ok now I know he's gonna counter me hard since he knows what I'm gonna do already since I've already done it, so now I'm gonna have to change my action" or alternatively put a strong compliment to the previous action.

I'd say no. Also, just saying, but I'm pretty sure the idea of "hold position" and "patrolling" was kinda... redundant? in that it's pretty obvious.

For the vision. IMO it should be an option, as in you select it at the start of the game.

-NudeRaider

Jun 6 2011, 4:59 am FatalException Post #9

http://www.nekogames.jp/mt/2008/01/cursor10.html

None.

Jun 6 2011, 5:39 am Decency Post #10

That was a really fun game, beat it second try with 45 time and 2 cursors left. =D

None.

Jun 6 2011, 7:34 am UnholyUrine Post #11

The Company of Myself
Ratchet and Clank - Clock Tower bit
There's one more that I've forgotten the name of

Idea's been done before.. but never as an FPS... Or even as any PvP arena games.
Maybe there's a reason for that.. or maybe ppl just haven't tried.
I'm hoping for the latter.

None.

Jun 6 2011, 7:52 pm NicholasBeige Post #12

So kinda lyke futuristik chess? Sounds like RTS turned into TBS. Which AMCOT (ain't my cup o' tea). TBH.

Unless you went super overboard with possibilities for each and every scenario it wouldn't have much re-playability. And the amount of work you'd have to put into it wouldn't really show through on the game-play side of things, since you're effectively re-inventing the wheel (taking a properly functioning real time strategy engine and dumbing it down into turn based, dialog oriented action sequences).

Interesting but no dice (from me at least)

None.

Jun 6 2011, 8:49 pm TiKels Post #13

Uh, bro, if you read the OP, I edited it and said that alternatively you would have it so you control each character directly and each round you add another character. It wouldn't have to be "turn based" and even so, it wouldn't really be "turn based" on the original idea. You'd set up an AI to go do something and it'd do it after you both hit "Go", which, upon speculation, sounds kinda lame.

So yeah, essentially, I left the first part up for inspiration/history.

-NudeRaider

Jun 6 2011, 9:05 pm NicholasBeige Post #14

My point still stands in that you are essentially making action-based RTS functionality into a - well not turn based - but, slowed down and methodical process. It's kinda like imagining a 1v1 encounter in Starcraft 2 - but having the ability to stop&start like in Dragon Age:O. Maybe not a best example, but I'm trying to get the point across that this will sacrafice a lot of what makes Starcraft good (combat, mechanics, missiles, movers, effects, - all in real time), redundant.

Still not understanding where this 'concept' is going :s and it's quite far from a concept :P throw a map together and go alpha on us.

None.

Jun 7 2011, 12:14 am Raitaki Post #15

Tikels, how about this: When you get a new unit, you control it directly, and later the unit will continue do exactly what you did with it, until it gets "unlinked" by surviving past the amount of time it survived when you first controlled it, spot an enemy that wasn't there before, had done all you ordered it to do, or the object it was supposed to interact with was moved elsewhere or became unusable? It'd keep some of the realtime element of the map and keep Cardinal happy ;o Didn't see you've changed the OP :P
Speaking of which, will there be advanced move actions like "follow target", "hide behind corner until target goes away", or "move alongside target"?

None.

Options
  Back to forum